Tuberville Sees Short Big 12 Future

gangrene

Tuberville sees short Big 12 future

"I don't think this conference will last long because there is too much disparity between all the teams," Tuberville told host Bill King. ...you're gonna have teams looking for better avenues to leave and reasons to leave. We have a 10-team league right now, but I just don't know how long that's gonna last, to be honest with you."

It hasn't even been a month yet and there is already dissension in the ranks.

Self confident about Big 12's staying power

Self said, "I think this is a long-term deal, without question."

Hmm...interesting.

The big teams are happy where is TT going to go?

Tuberville is the new kid on the block, right? Seems he would want to make his 1'st official year at TTech as a "silence is golden" sort of year to me. Some of his collegues may even resent his "very early" opinion-making knowing how these things go.

And lest he forget, Lubbock will never be confused for having the kind of TV market the truly Big Boy Conference gurus want when they start putting all their Super Cookie Cutter This One Will Be The Perfect Marriage Conferences together (once again). Tech will have to coat-tail it with UT and/or Texas A&M whether they like that scenario or not. Just my own speculation...

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

“I don’t think this conference will last long because there is too much disparity between all the teams,” Tuberville told host Bill King. “In the SEC, for instance, Vanderbilt makes as much money in the television contract as Florida. Everybody is good with it. Everybody is on the same page. Everyone gets the same votes.

That doesn’t happen here in the Big 12. We have some teams that get a little bit more money and have a little it more stroke than some of the other teams. And when that happens, you’re gonna have teams looking for better avenues to leave and reasons to leave.

I like Tuberville. He's already coached in a tougher conference. He's already figured out the pettiness of UT, OU, and A&M and sees that they will eat the conference for the sake of money.

Funny, the SEC gives everyone the same money - and, the competition is better. OU and Texas snare most of the Big 12 money - and, they can't beat SEC teams in big games.

I don't think it's a stretch to say that Tuberville may have Tech winning the Big 12 South in his first season. The two defensive coordinators he sent over to Texas completely shut down OU's five year win streak and started delivering titles to Texas for a change. One is in line to replace Mack.

Tuberville is a good coach. Stoops and Mack will hate the competition. Look for both to have lame excuses (officiating, wind, etc.) when Tech beats them.

• Upvote 3

You can bet your bottom dollar that Kansas is currently trying to position itself for a future with Colorado and the rest of the Pac 12 schools. That latest round of realignment, and what almost happened with the five southern Big 12 schools, must have scared the hell out the Jayhawks. Look for them, like Colorado before them, to cast the first preemptive strike in conference musical chairs; like Colorado, just to insure that they're not the school left out when the music stops.

You can bet your bottom dollar that Kansas is currently trying to position itself for a future with Colorado and the rest of the Pac 12 schools. That latest round of realignment, and what almost happened with the five southern Big 12 schools, must have scared the hell out the Jayhawks. Look for them, like Colorado before them, to cast the first preemptive strike in conference musical chairs; like Colorado, just to insure that they're not the school left out when the music stops.

I can't see any team east of Denver really wanting to be in the Pac-12.

I suspect that if the Big XII eventually loses UT, TAMU and OU that Kansas would rather align with schools from the Big East. If they have the opportunity to be travel buddy with those three they'll take it but that is out of their hands.

What people fail to grasp with the Big XII is that UT, TAMU, OU and NU all ought to be making money like Big 10 and SEC schools because that is their peer group in support and national audience. Unbalanced sharing allows UT, TAMU, and OU to make the sort of money they would make if they were to leave. Since the share is unbalanced, the economic incentive to leave is removed or dampened.

Tommy may not think it is fair, but I suspect his bosses like that option better than the option of TAMU and OU going to the SEC and UT going to the Big 10 and leaving Texas Tech and Baylor to survive on what they are capable of generating on their own while losing attractive home games against UT, TAMU, and OU.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I didn't see what Colorado did as a preemptive strike at all. They were trying to tag along with UT, OU and company. Although they jumped into an agreement with the Pac 10 before the others, I think they were surprised when the others changed their minds.

I didn't see what Colorado did as a preemptive strike at all. They were trying to tag along with UT, OU and company. Although they jumped into an agreement with the Pac 10 before the others, I think they were surprised when the others changed their minds.

Colorado had been making noise about moving to the Pac-10 even back in the Big 8 days. They've recruited California and west coast for the better part of four decades now. Overall, their culture is more west coast than midland anyway.

I've always thought CU would be a good fit in the Pac-10. It never surprised me that they were in the mix to head west. They'll do well in the Pac-10, athletically and otherwise.

I can't see any team east of Denver really wanting to be in the Pac-12.

Especially Kansas.

The Pac-12 didn't want Colorado on its own, they wanted CU to get TEXAS. Colorado might be better off in the Pac-12 because they have a great many alumni on the West Coast and the "culture" is more suited to that part of the country (which means lacksidasial toward football) but the Pac-12 doesn't get much out of CU. Colorado has a struggling football program, a DOA basketball program and no baseball at all. The vaunted Denver TV market is diverse and would just as soon watch Air Force or Texas as CU.

Tommy Tuberville was a bad hire. Eat it Texas Tech.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

My thought would be that Kansas would look to the Big 10 (11 or 12). Don't you see that as being a better geographical fit for them than the PAC??

Especially Kansas.

The Pac-12 didn't want Colorado on its own, they wanted CU to get TEXAS. Colorado might be better off in the Pac-12 because they have a great many alumni on the West Coast and the "culture" is more suited to that part of the country (which means lacksidasial toward football) but the Pac-12 doesn't get much out of CU. Colorado has a struggling football program, a DOA basketball program and no baseball at all. The vaunted Denver TV market is diverse and would just as soon watch Air Force or Texas as CU.

Tommy Tuberville was a bad hire. Eat it Texas Tech.

Sure the Pac-10 wanted Texas, but that's not why they invited CU first. They invited the Buffalos because they didn't want to be forced into taking Baylor (with all the buzz being the Texas legislature trying to force all four Texas schools to move as a group).

The culture on the West Coast that is talked about is not that so much it's lackadasical towards football (tho they do place much more emphasis on all programs being good here, rather than just excelling on the gridiron), but more a general philosophy/politics/academia thing. Football is a part of it, but by no means all.

• Upvote 1

...And lest he forget, Lubbock will never be confused for having the kind of TV market the truly Big Boy Conference gurus want when they start putting all their Super Cookie Cutter This One Will Be The Perfect Marriage Conferences together (once again)...

Conferences looking to expand don't care about the media markets where the Big 12 universities are located (other then Austin), it's DFW, Houston, and San Antonio where the majority of their viewers are watching. In all four of the major Texas markets (Austin, DFW, Houston, & San Antonio) UT reigns as king. However, when you look past the horns, it's Texas Tech that brings in more TV sets then the other Big 12 teams. In Austin, DFW, and San Antonio, Texas Tech is only behind UT in terms of viewers. Texas A&M and LSU bring in more viewers in Houston than Tech, but A&M has less viewers than Tech in the other three major Texas markets.

Bottom line: Texas Tech outdraws the other Big 12 universities on TV, other than UT who's leaps ahead of everyone.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Conferences looking to expand don't care about the media markets where the Big 12 universities are located (other then Austin), it's DFW, Houston, and San Antonio where the majority of their viewers are watching. In all four of the major Texas markets (Austin, DFW, Houston, & San Antonio) UT reigns as king. However, when you look past the horns, it's Texas Tech that brings in more TV sets then the other Big 12 teams. In Austin, DFW, and San Antonio, Texas Tech is only behind UT in terms of viewers. Texas A&M and LSU bring in more viewers in Houston than Tech, but A&M has less viewers than Tech in the other three major Texas markets.

Bottom line: Texas Tech outdraws the other Big 12 universities on TV, other than UT who's leaps ahead of everyone.

prove it. typical tech arrogance.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

Tommy may not think it is fair, but I suspect his bosses like that option better than the option of TAMU and OU going to the SEC and UT going to the Big 10 and leaving Texas Tech and Baylor to survive on what they are capable of generating on their own while losing attractive home games against UT, TAMU, and OU.

Totally agree, which is why we saw Baylor desperately screaming "DON'T LEAVE ME!!" like the psychotic girlfriend when the soup hit the fan last month. Now that they can continue to safely operate as a succubus, we will now hear them grouse about how unfair their comparative monetary situation is, when they really don't pull their weight as programs, anyway.

Tech does get pretty good TV ratings

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsmedia/2010/06/some_college_football_ratings.html

When they play teams that already get good ratings. The Houston numbers are interesting, though.

When they play teams that already get good ratings. The Houston numbers are interesting, though.

Exactly. I'll agree that Tech has definitely drawn more interest in the last 3-5 years than A&M, but that's what happens when you win.

The Houston numbers are interesting, though.

Nope, that's not surprising at all. Those ratings are ONLY for the Houston DMA. It was a damn good game and Houston was ranked #17 at the time. It was also a night (prime time) game. Besides, a lot of Longhorn fans may have had interest since they didn't get to watch Texas vs. UTEP that day (Texas played UTEP at 2:30 on 9/26 and a lot of people (DirecTv customers) didn't get to see it because it was on Vs. which was taken off the air by DirecTv because of a contractual dispute.

The other Tech games on that list were against opponents who have large fan bases in Houston themselves - Texas and Nebraska in 2010 and Oklahoma TWICE in 2008?? Hmm, something tells me that's not right and where's 2009? You certainly don't see any Tech vs. Baylor, Kansas or Colorado or even Oklahoma State, like you do with the Texas games.

Also, ALWAYS take Nielsen ratings with a grain of salt. Sure, they're still widely accepted as gospel in the advertising/marketing industry. But, even now that they have eliminated the paper diaries in most of the larger DMAs, the LPMs (local people meters) only represent about 2% of the entire nation's TV households. How many decisions do you make in your own life based on a 2% sample size?

Tech draws well in Lubbock and away and alsohas a pretty good TV draw.

Of course Tech doesn't draw as well as UT but certainly is light years ahead of Baylor. Note there is no BU-UT or BU-OU games listed. Tech has a bigger fan base in the DFW area and I would suspect they have higher viewer ratings for that area.

• Upvote 1