One of the more anticipated major league debuts, possibly ever, Stephen Strasburg will make the start tonight for the Washington Nationals...at home...and against the Pittsburgh Pirates (think this date was specifically circled?). Strasburg has been dominant in his minor league starts (38K:7BB in 33.1 innings with a 1.08 ERA at AAA). Thoughts? Will his numbers and subsequent hype live up to its billing in the bigs?

Lost in the Strasburg hoopla, outfielder Mike Stanton will make his major league debut for the Florida Marlins as well tonight. Stanton in one of the best hitting prospects in the game, belting 20+ homers in 2 months at AA.

• Downvote 1

One of the more anticipated major league debuts, possibly ever, Stephen Strasburg will make the start tonight for the Washington Nationals...at home...and against the Pittsburgh Pirates (think this date was specifically circled?). Strasburg has been dominant in his minor league starts (38K:7BB in 33.1 innings with a 1.08 ERA at AAA). Thoughts? Will his numbers and subsequent hype live up to its billing in the bigs?

Lost in the Strasburg hoopla, outfielder Mike Stanton will make his major league debut for the Florida Marlins as well tonight. Stanton in one of the best hitting prospects in the game, belting 20+ homers in 2 months at AA.

Strasburg will go 5 innings, be great against a horrid Pirate line-up, and Matt Capps will blow yet another save causing his ostracization from D.C.. Strasburg will be phenomenal, but his pitch limits will prevent him from being a superstar this year.

Stanton, on the other hand, though he is touted as one of the best hitting prospects in baseball and as a second coming of Miguel Cabrera for the Marlins, is, as Seth Everett described, a run of the mill elite prospect. Because Stanton was called up the same year as freaks like Heyward and Strasburg he will always be compared with them, but his ceiling simply isn't as high. Stanton has also struck out 53 times in 190 at bats in AA and last year struggled with a jump in talent level when he went from hitting .311 in A ball to .231 when promoted to AA Jacksonville. He will be good, but I just don't think he will show anything but flashes this year.

Edited by MEANGREENMAN!

Strasburg will go 5 innings, be great against a horrid Pirate line-up, and Matt Capps will blow yet another save causing his ostracization from D.C.. Strasburg will be phenomenal, but his pitch limits will prevent him from being a superstar this year.

Stanton, on the other hand, though he is touted as one of the best hitting prospects in baseball and as a second coming of Miguel Cabrera for the Marlins, is, as Seth Everett described, a run of the mill elite prospect. Because Stanton was called up the same year as freaks like Heyward and Strasburg he will always be compared with them, but his ceiling simply isn't as high. Stanton has also struck out 53 times in 190 at bats in AA and last year struggled with a jump in talent level when he went from hitting .311 in A ball to .231 when promoted to AA Jacksonville. He will be good, but I just don't think he will show anything but flashes this year.

want to reconsider this?

want to reconsider this?

It's only one major league start. Hell, C.J. was Cy freaking Young for his first seven. The last 4 or 5? Not so much.

14 strike outs is impressive, but lets see how hitters adjust once the major league book is out on him. I expect some struggles .

Beside, everyone knows that he is no Scheppers.

It's only one major league start. Hell, C.J. was Cy freaking Young for his first seven. The last 4 or 5? Not so much.

14 strike outs is impressive, but lets see how hitters adjust once the major league book is out on him. I expect some struggles .

Beside, everyone knows that he is no Scheppers.

The guy had a year long build up to his 1st start. Had his minor league outings shown on the MLB network. Set a franchise record for strikeouts in his 1st big league start, and doing so in 94 pitches. His book is a 97-101 fastball and the best curveball in baseball at the age of 21. Will he have a rough outing every now and again?? Sure. But to say he is not a superstar is laughable.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The guy had a year long build up to his 1st start. Had his minor league outings shown on the MLB network. Set a franchise record for strikeouts in his 1st big league start, and doing so in 94 pitches. His book is a 97-101 fastball and the best curveball in baseball at the age of 21. Will he have a rough outing every now and again?? Sure. But to say he is not a superstar is laughable.

Pardon me if I don't grant him superstar status after ONE MAJOR LEAGUE START.

A franchise record for a 5 year old expansion franchise is hardly impressive. What was the old strike out record? 8?

Best curveball in baseball? After one start? Again, pardon me if I wait until he completes one month as a starter before I annoint him the next Nolan Ryan.

Not saying the kid is not a talent (although what happened to that 106 MHP fastball he was throwing at the college level? The guy that operated the radar gun must have been the same guy that measured Riley's height), but lets just let him prove himself (and stay healthy) before we start massaging his prostate.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not saying the kid is not a talent (although what happened to that 106 MHP fastball he was throwing at the college level? The guy that operated the radar gun must have been the same guy that measured Riley's height), but lets just let him prove himself (and stay healthy) before we start massaging his prostate.

You are a jerk.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yes, it's just one start. In the grand scheme of things, it's not worth a lot.

That said, only one other pitcher has K'd 14 Pirates in a game in the last 1,000 games (Lincecum).

Likewise, NO PITCHER WHO HAS EVER LIVED has 14 K's and 0 BB's in their debut. NO ONE. In fact, since 1900, only a staggering FIVE pitchers have ever garnered such a line in any game: Roger Clemens, Randy Johnson, Javy Vazquez, Mike Mussina, and Brad Penny. Now, add a 21 year old kid in his MLB debut to that list. Absolutely unimaginable.

DC is on the map. They're selling out. They're a road draw. They're selling jerseys faster than they can make them. This is the rare huge budget sports signing that has MORE than financially paid off for the club in question - and it's a 21 year old who has played one game.

His arm may fall off tomorrow, but he's a superstar today. Unreal, and I'm not challenging it.

Edited by CaribbeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

His arm may fall off tomorrow, but he's a superstar today. Unreal, and I'm not challenging it.

Not on board at all with the new standards for superstar.

The kid is a talent, a big talent, but not a superstar. Unless, of course, you consider someone like Taylor Hicks a superstar.

David Clyde:

http://timcowlishawblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/06/strasburg-debut-its-david-clyd.html

http://www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/spt/misc/history/stories/june/062773rang.html

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

A franchise record for a 5 year old expansion franchise is hardly impressive. What was the old strike out record? 8?

Best curveball in baseball? After one start? Again, pardon me if I wait until he completes one month as a starter before I annoint him the next Nolan Ryan.

I guess you missed the memo that this is the old Expos franchise....they aren't expansion.

I guess you missed the memo that this is the old Expos franchise....they aren't expansion.

He's NO Dennis Martinez !!!

I think this is great for the Nationals , they need something positive for their franchise. I can't pencil him in yet for the HOF cus I remember how amped I was when Mark Prior made his debut. Hopefully Strasburg stays healthy enough to have a great career

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 1

He's NO Dennis Martinez !!!

They apparantly did not retain the Expos records, because Bill Gullickson struck out 18 on 09-10-80 for the Expos.

And that well known Hall-of-Famer Jeff Juden struck out 14 on 07-01-97 in only 8 1/3 innings!!!!!!!

All in all, 6 different pitchers to strike out 14 in a game for the Expos (Bill Stoneman, Bob Sebra, jeff Fassero, Juden, Pedro Martinez (a true superstar, by the way), and, how can we forget:

Javier Vasquez (who, incidentally, DID IT IN 7 INNINGS WITHOUT ALLOWING A WALK).... and he did it on 4/9/03. Since? career record of 147-144 with a 4.22 ERA (very good, but not Superstarish) Obviously in the Hall of .... Oh, wait.

http://www.baseballc...page=XF_MON.htm

And yes, He's no Bill Gullickson!!! But, he may be a Javier Vasquez, if he is lucky.

**Technically, I think the Nats maintain the Expos records, but threw this out there as a "Nationals record." Another cheap marketing ploy that apparently attracts many****

Superstar!!!!!!!!!!!!

Again, the kid has talent, but a long way to go to EARN being called a superstar.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

want to reconsider this?

Yes, I think he will be a superstar right now. I had my doubts about the entire weight of a franchise being placed upon a 21 year old kid, but, for now, those doubts have been lifted. He will get some starts skipped and innings limits will keep him from winning as many games as he should, but after seeing him pitch so effectively and efficiently I believe this will be the Summer of Doc 2.0.

Edited by MEANGREENMAN!

My baseball brain > Your baseball brain.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1