Yep

Rudy

Travel. You knock out several games each weekend in one spot and you aren't hoping for 20,000 plus fans to be there each game. I also don't want to hear about using the bowls as playoff games. Using the 16 team pool, two teams will have to travel to probable neutral sites 4 times with 6 days to make plans. Therefore it would go to the higher ranked team to host. This kills most bowls if not all. This is how fcs or 1AA does it but they aren't looking for tens of thousands of alumni to show up to one huge party/fund raiser with a game at the end of it. You spread out the post season and you dilute the attendance. This is what makes major college football unique. And why do we need a national champion so bad anyway.

And Kram, if you don't think this concerns NT football, you better think again.

Travel problem solved:

Conference Championship Games

ACC - GMAC Bowl

Big 12 - Texas Bowl

Big East - Gator Bowl

Big 10 - Little Caesar's Pizza Bowl

C-USA - Liberty Bowl

MAC - Eagle Bank Bowl

MWC - Armed Forces Bowl

Pac-10 - Poinsettia Bowl

SEC - Outback Bowl

Sun Belt - New Orleans Bowl

WAC - Sun Bowl

Future 12th conference - Las Vegas Bowl

All winners plus 4 at-large bids are seeded in a 16-team, 4-region playoff bracket (North, South, East, West).

Round 1 Of Playoffs:

1. North #1 vs. East #4 - Champs Sports Bowl

2. North #2 vs. East #3 - Chick-Fil-A Bowl

3. North #3 vs. East #2 - Capital One Bowl

4. North #4 vs. East #1 - Gator Bowl

5. South #1 vs. West #4 - Cotton Bowl

6. South #2 vs. West #3 - Alamo Bowl

7. South #3 vs. West #2 - St Petersburg Bowl

8. South #4 vs. West #1 - Emerald Bowl

Round 2 of Playoffs:

9. Game 1 winner vs. Game 3 winner - Orange Bowl

10. Game 2 winner vs. Game 4 winner - Sugar Bowl

11. Game 5 winner vs. Game 7 winner - Fiesta Bowl

12. Game 6 winner vs. Game 8 winner - Rose Bowl

Final Four - Played at a pre-determined site selected by the NCAA, similar to basketball

13. Game 9 winner vs. Game 10 winner - Saturday

14. Game 11 winner vs. Game 12 winner - Sunday

15. Championship Game - Following Sunday

Travel problem solved:

Conference Championship Games

ACC - GMAC Bowl

Big 12 - Texas Bowl

Big East - Gator Bowl

Big 10 - Little Caesar's Pizza Bowl

C-USA - Liberty Bowl

MAC - Eagle Bank Bowl

MWC - Armed Forces Bowl

Pac-10 - Poinsettia Bowl

SEC - Outback Bowl

Sun Belt - New Orleans Bowl

WAC - Sun Bowl

Future 12th conference - Las Vegas Bowl

All winners plus 4 at-large bids are seeded in a 16-team, 4-region playoff bracket (North, South, East, West).

Round 1 Of Playoffs:

1. North #1 vs. East #4 - Champs Sports Bowl

2. North #2 vs. East #3 - Chick-Fil-A Bowl

3. North #3 vs. East #2 - Capital One Bowl

4. North #4 vs. East #1 - Gator Bowl

5. South #1 vs. West #4 - Cotton Bowl

6. South #2 vs. West #3 - Alamo Bowl

7. South #3 vs. West #2 - St Petersburg Bowl

8. South #4 vs. West #1 - Emerald Bowl

Round 2 of Playoffs:

9. Game 1 winner vs. Game 3 winner - Orange Bowl

10. Game 2 winner vs. Game 4 winner - Sugar Bowl

11. Game 5 winner vs. Game 7 winner - Fiesta Bowl

12. Game 6 winner vs. Game 8 winner - Rose Bowl

Final Four - Played at a pre-determined site selected by the NCAA, similar to basketball

13. Game 9 winner vs. Game 10 winner - Saturday

14. Game 11 winner vs. Game 12 winner - Sunday

15. Championship Game - Following Sunday

So the winner of game 6 just played in Texas and now has to go to California next week. If you are a fan of this school, which game are you buying airline tickets for. Oh wait, if you want to be sure to see your team in the post season, you have to go to the first game. You get the picture.

I know I am the minority on this issue,but even if I were a Gator of Horn fan I would rather know my end of year destination instead of having to decide which playoff game to attend.

And don't think for two seconds a playoff system would have our level of conference involved. The system would also eliminate the need for undefeated seasons for the big time schools since they are playing for playoffs and not number one ranking as much. Now they can schedule home and home with other big timers knowing a loss is not the end. Good bye million dollar paydays, hello double A.

It would take extreme court battles for the top six conferences to share revenue with us in this scenario. NCAA div 1 would be cut down to 60 or so teams.

So the winner of game 6 just played in Texas and now has to go to California next week. If you are a fan of this school, which game are you buying airline tickets for. Oh wait, if you want to be sure to see your team in the post season, you have to go to the first game. You get the picture.

I know I am the minority on this issue,but even if I were a Gator of Horn fan I would rather know my end of year destination instead of having to decide which playoff game to attend.

And don't think for two seconds a playoff system would have our level of conference involved. The system would also eliminate the need for undefeated seasons for the big time schools since they are playing for playoffs and not number one ranking as much. Now they can schedule home and home with other big timers knowing a loss is not the end. Good bye million dollar paydays, hello double A.

It would take extreme court battles for the top six conferences to share revenue with us in this scenario. NCAA div 1 would be cut down to 60 or so teams.

Already is, don't you think?

Any scenerio creates a problem. But, even basketball only has a team playing a max of 2 games at one site. Enough alum with money will travel to make this system work. Also, the scheduling thing works both ways. The big guys wouldnt worry about a hit to their strength of schedule that they would take by scheduling a UNT. And right now, that is a huge hit.

This scenario would be an NCAA playoff, not a BCS playoff. That eliminates your concern over the small conferences getting shut out.

And it's why ANY discussion of a playoff system MUST include the smaller conferences - all of them, just like basketball.

Edited by UNTflyer

This scenario would be an NCAA playoff, not a BCS playoff. That eliminates your concern over the small conferences getting shut out.

And it's why ANY discussion of a playoff system MUST include the smaller conferences - all of them, just like basketball.

Therefore my old fashioned love of the current bowl system is safe. Thank you for that reassurance. The big boys would love to find any way to drop us cash vacuums.

Add me to your minority army.

The only way a playoff system makes logical, economic sense is to setup a neutral site location, far in advance, for every round, every year. They'd have to be distributed by region and teams would be placed into regions that made sense. That's the only way you'd be able to sell enough tickets to keep the stands full (and you have to have full stands to help television ratings).....do it exactly like the NCAA bball tourney and you'd have something. You'd buy tickets to a ROUND of the tourney, not necessarily have to wait around until your team won each week. You'd be able to fill the stadiums with locals if you brought more than one game to a single region. That and include all conference champions, then whatever at-large teams are deserving. Including the smaller schools may happen initially, but (just like you said) the big paydays for small schools will eventually cease, which would slowly kill LOTS of programs...

That said, the bowl system we have now is much more fun, impo....esp. when your conference has a couple good cities to travel to for bowl tie-ins (ie--New Freaking Orleans).

Edited by TIgreen01

Add me to your minority army.

The only way a playoff system makes logical, economic sense is to setup a neutral site location, far in advance, for every round, every year. They'd have to be distributed by region and teams would be placed into regions that made sense. That's the only way you'd be able to sell enough tickets to keep the stands full (and you have to have full stands to help television ratings).....do it exactly like the NCAA bball tourney and you'd have something. You'd buy tickets to a ROUND of the tourney, not necessarily have to wait around until your team won each week. You'd be able to fill the stadiums with locals if you brought more than one game to a single region. That and include all conference champions, then whatever at-large teams are deserving. Including the smaller schools may happen initially, but (just like you said) the big paydays for small schools will eventually cease, which would slowly kill LOTS of programs...

That said, the bowl system we have now is much more fun, impo....esp. when your conference has a couple good cities to travel to for bowl tie-ins (ie--New Freaking Orleans).

There you go. One destination,one big party, and spend the other travel money on Christmas.

All the BCS is now is a bunch of meaningless exhibition games. Heck, even D1AA has playoffs. A playoff would eliminate some of the favoritism that exists and crown a true national champion. Some people read those pro BCS sites that have their talking points that have been derived and are sicking nonsense. If Florida or Alabama had lost a game prior to the SEC championship game and still won the SEC championship they would still be in the national championship game because the BCS boys like them. So all that need for an undefeated season junk goes out the door. The BCS is a cartel and what happened to TCU/Boise is a travesty.

Edited by sports1