Derek Thompson

MeanGreen61

Kinda a forgotten guy doing his red-shirt year. Good size, 6'4', 223 and a strong arm. Looking ahead and using a what-if scenario, would we really have a bad situation at QB if the shoe were to fall ? Tune may not be spectacular but he's been steady & Thompson will have had a year to mature. Thoughts ?

Dodge gets fired a week from tomorrow. Three weeks later, Riley Dodge announces he will transfer to UT and sit out a year. He'll end up being a 23 year old sophomore bench warmer in Austin.

Nathan Tune becomes the de facto starting QB for his senior year, and Derek Thompson becomes the backup. Where it goes from there, who knows.

Yes, he does have a strong arm. He has good size and can sure see down field. Watched him at the open scrimmages and I thought he looked poised. As for the foot work, can't imagine he had a quarterback coach at Glen Rose. Most of those schools have a qb's/rec coach, so not much 1 on 1. I think with some work, he will be pretty good.

Yes, he does have a strong arm. He has good size and can sure see down field. Watched him at the open scrimmages and I thought he looked poised. As for the foot work, can't imagine he had a quarterback coach at Glen Rose. Most of those schools have a qb's/rec coach, so not much 1 on 1. I think with some work, he will be pretty good.

Agree... but if Dodge is here next year he is coaching for his life and I just can't see him spending much time on a 3rd string QB whom will probably never see the field as long as Riley is here

Dodge gets fired a week from tomorrow. Three weeks later, Riley Dodge announces he will transfer to UT and sit out a year. He'll end up being a 23 year old sophomore bench warmer in Austin.

Nathan Tune becomes the de facto starting QB for his senior year, and Derek Thompson becomes the backup. Where it goes from there, who knows.

Can we just stick to rooting on the team for the final week? Let's let the AD make the football decisions

and stop this fire the coach talk. It is a bit unsettling to me. You wouldn't like it if someone started an email

campaign at your job to fire you. Have a bit of respect.

GMG

Actually, too many thoughts to note here. But, ponder this. Has anyone noticed that Tune has not been sacked all year? No, he does not have Ussain Bolt speed like Riley. Yes, in two games (Bama/Troy) he faced 15 potential NFL caliber players without a sack. How can that be? Perhaps Tune has a feel for the game, knows how much time he has to make something happen, knows where receivers have an opportunity to be open, can stretch the field with an ability to throw medium and deep balls, does not feel that he has to be the hero/focus of making the offense work. Maybe an unspectacular QB that knows how to win would be a nice change of pace. Oh well, what do I know. Lets not change things up since they are working so well. As Gilda Radner used to say "NEVER MIND!"

PS1. in terms of paying dues/being forgotten.............there is not one single QB on the team that comes close to the sweat equity Tune has in this team.

PS2. will be interesting to see if any response to my thoughts. should change my SN to "the ender" since when I post, the thread seems to die quickly!! (no prob as I get a kick out it)

Agree....Tune has paid his dues, has been a good company man and deserves serious consideration to be the starter next year. All jobs on the team should be open! He would be a good qb in any spread system except this one. I was excited when Dodge brought the "spread" to UNT. Man, I thought we would be the Tech of the Sunbelt. I have been disappointed as this offense is a high school spread, not a college spread. So. me saying Tune would not be successful in it does not mean I think he is a poor quarterback. Quite the contrary, he is a winner. The truth is that a college quarterback cannot be successful in this high school offense.

Save us all.

Wasn't this the consensus for Trey Newton?

A college coach would look at our quarterback situation then bring in a JUCO to compete with Tune and Thompson for the job in 2010.

Can we just stick to rooting on the team for the final week? Let's let the AD make the football decisions

and stop this fire the coach talk. It is a bit unsettling to me. You wouldn't like it if someone started an email

GMG

Yes yes

GMG

I agree. I don't think there is anything wrong with questioning his coaching decisions on this board, but if you have any comments to make about whether he should stay or go, be a man and make them in a private email or telephone call to the Athletic Director. I won't be sending such an email or making such a call as I believe RV will do what is best for UNT without my input.

GMG

if i helped to pay your salary and you were only successful at 15% of the job we hired you for then i would call you out too. unt fans have been beyond patient, some fans at ou want bob stoops fired after this season's results.