Barbershop Podcast #57

Evan

I watched the game on MG Premium, and we got the LaLa audio as well. It was surprising to hear them say over and over, "This is a game we shouldn't have won."

Absolutely right on with your Royce Hill "MVP" comments. He has been nothing short of amazing.

Thanks for taking the time to do these.

Enjoyed your comments as always. One correction, Kyle White had his redshirt burned inexplicably against Alabama. I say that because I don't think he played in the next two games. I wonder why they would have played our only underclassmen dt if they were not going to give him significant playing time.

Agree this team does have a lot more talent than any team since the championship years. Unfortunately few of them are going to be recognized beyond the loyal fans unless NT starts to get some wins. I think Royce Hill, Cook, and Dunbar are already playing at an all conference level. Add Akpunka and Dodge to the list and it is easy to see that the 2008 class is something special.

Good point Grand Green, but I wonder if the fact he only played against Alabama may be because he sustained an injury that combined with the fact the injury occurred in the first half of the season and he played in less than 2 games or 20% of the season's games. Since I don't recall them playing White since the Bama game I wonder if they are looking to enact the exception based on season ending injury. See below:

Under NCAA rules, any player has five years to compete in any four seasons. Therefore, any player may take a year off ("redshirt") during his five years without losing a season of eligibility.

For example, if I enroll as a freshman at State U, I have five years in which to play in four football seasons. If the coaches feel that I am not ready or want to play other players ahead of me, they may hold me out of all the games my freshman year. Since I didn't play at all, my year of eligibility was not used. I have "redshirted". As a sophomore, I will now have four years remaining to complete my four years of athletic eligibility. Even though I am a sophomore, I will be referred to as a "redshirt freshman", because I have four full years of playing time remaining.

And while a redshirted player may participate in team activities such as practice, drills, and training, the NCAA guidelines say that a player who participates in even one play during a season will be considered to have "played" that season.

You should know that NCAA rules indicate that any competition, regardless of time, during a season counts as one of your seasons of competition in that sport. It does not matter how long you were involved in a particular competition (for example, one play in a football game, one point in a volleyball match); you will be charged with one season of competition.

The exception to the five-to-play-four rule comes when a player experiences a hardship, such as a season-ending injury. If an injury occurs in the first half of a season and the player has not played in more than 20% of his team's games, then the NCAA will consider granting a "medical redshirt" - a hardship exception to the eligibility rules.

An extra year of eligibility can also be granted via a "hardship waiver" if a student-athlete suffers an incapacitating injury or illness in the course of a season. The injury must occur during the first half of the season and the student-athlete, in Divisions I and II, must not have participated in more than two contests or 20% of the school's completed contests, whichever is greater.

Now they're going to sit this kid out the rest of the year and not find out about the exception until before the 2010 season? If the request is denied (not out of the question) he just used up an entire year of eligibility against Alabama.

If that's the case, lame.

If they find out tomorrow, please disregard this post.

Edited by greenminer