2nd Sun Belt Bowl Mentioned Again

SUMG

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/archives...tes-and-th.html

That link for the bowl says that the first game would be in Dec. 2009. I don't think the game has even been certified yet.....so I don't see that happening.

And yes, I'd love another actual bowl tie-in. (Not these things where if this happens in this league, and that happens in that league, and this happens in the Sun Belt.....you might or might not maybe get a chance at a shot in another possible bowl game. Maybe.)

But does every bowl we're involved in have to match us and CUSA?

Edited by SUMG

I think I could see a future where our champion doesn't necessarily go to New Orleans...if this Florida bowl materializes. I think then you would be able to take your top two teams, and put them in the best geographic fit for the bowls. I'm sure the NO Bowl would love to never have to worry about either of the two Florida schools coming to their bowl again.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Another bowl tie-in is a must. We are the only conference with just one official tie-in. Another legitimate chance for a bowl appearance would help recruiting and morale.

But, why Orlando? With two major bowls and a half a dozen games per year at UCF it seems to me that Orlando is approaching oversaturation, if they're not there already. Florida is a little off the beaten path for Sun Belt members other than FAU and FIU. The only other cities without a Division 1A team and a capacity of more than 30,000 in our footprint are Little Rock and Jackson, MS. I doubt that either are interested in hosting a SBC bowl. I wish that we would work on an existing bowl such as GMAC in Mobile or the Independence Bowl in Shreveport. We'd probably have to find a sponsor in the case of the Independence Bowl but that should be doable.

And, why the CUSA tie-in? It's not that I don't like the teams in CUSA. I do. But they already have four bowl tie-ins. They really have five because they are in the Armed Forces Bowl and the Texas Bowl in alternate years. Their champion goes to the Liberty Bowl and St. Petersburg, Hawaii and the alternate year bowls all have larger payouts than the New Orleans. That means we often get the fourth or fifth rated CUSA team. Why go for their sixth or seventh rated team? It's possible that we would get their seventh rated team since they are also an alternate for the Eagle Bank Bowl with a million dollar payout.

I'm still hacked about the Independence Bowl. They wouldn't take a 6-6 Louisiana-Lafayette team but they would take a 6-6 Northern Illinois? I still think that La Tech was the culprit although I don't really understand why they would have a voice when they were not from one of the contracting conferences.

What is the SBC record in the NO Bowl?

There have been 8 of them played (one was played in Lafayette due to Katrina). I think our league is 3-5. I know we've won one, FAU has won one, and Troy has won one. I believe that's it.

UNT 1-3

FAU 1-0

Troy 1-1

ASU 0-1

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on this.....just doing it by memory.