Post Game Thoughts

LongJim

Like has been posted on this board many times: “Look, it's not rocket science.”

When your team can match or whip the other team in speed, strength, depth and execution, you have a chance to be successful.

At quarterback, Riley Dodge showed last night that he has the maturity and confidence, and more importantly, the physical tools and decision-making ability necessary to run TD’s “take what they give you” offense to perfection. I will say this now: If Riley can play at this level for the entire year; he will receive some AA love, and definitely SBC honors. Love his moxie, and hauling ass over to the UNT faithful with Talons raised at the end of the game. Awesome.

Against BSU, Dodge reminded me more than a little of a quarterback in Austin in his obvious mastery of what his offense is trying to achieve. Except for one ill-advised throw into the end zone, he pretty much played a flawless game. Ball State was on the hook, because UNT’s quarterback is now not only a credible threat with his arm, he is a very viable weapon with his feet. The zone option play was deadly for most of last night because of this. Did he look like a RS Frosh? No he didn't. Child’s play. GRADE: A-

At running back, I liked the ability of the backs to find the backside crease quickly, and hit it hard. They weren’t effing around back there, and the attitude showed. It’s obvious those guys have been coached hard to run north as quickly as possible. The only area where the running game became exposed was on the stretch and perimeter plays, where BSU’s speed was equal. GRADE: A

WR’s made catches and the BSU secondary played off of them, which allowed the short passing game to work. Easy money. Why? Because there is now credible outside speed, which the MAC’s and SBC’s of the world must respect. This will be tested against the Alabama’s of the world, who can out-athlete UNT at this point, but for now I’ll take it. Not much downfield, but didn’t need to be. GRADE: B

This brings me to the offensive line play. One word—dominating. Reminded me of some of the OL’s of past years. You didn’t see the defensive line penetrating on running plays and blowing up the QB or ball carrier, because this line is now competitive in size and strength, and have been coached hard in their schemes. They looked to be in mid-season form last night, and absolutely gashed BSU and gassed them by the 4th quarter. GRADE: A

Amazing how BSU’s NFL coaching staff couldn’t make adjustments to stop the high school offense they were facing. It’s great seeing a head coach on the other sideline with a look of “WTF?” on his face for a change.

Defensively? Speed, speed, speed. It’s so obvious that there are big strides here it’s just sick. UNT faced a very good running back, and except for a couple of highlight plays which you expected him to get, the DL did a good job bending but forcing punts. How many alligator arm tackles last night? Not a whole lot, because the defense was THERE to make the play laterally and in the secondary. Defensive line was able to generate at least SOME pressure, but this is still a concern. No sacks, and very few TFL’s. Deloach threw a lot of stunts, blitzes, and twists to get pressure. Not satisfied here, and here’s hoping the pass rush can make some strides. However, I have to give the DL credit for getting stronger and holding their own at the point of attack. Nice job stoning BSU at the goal line in the first half and holding their offense to 3. The BSU running backs did not blast through the DL like would have happened in year’s past. Bottom line: they held the Cardinals to 10 points, and scored what would have been 7 for the good guys. GRADE: C+

Special teams coverage was average, but that’s an improvement at this point. Field goals—need to make those. Punting showed flashes, as did kickoffs, but the kickoffs have to get more air under them. GRADE: C-

Overall: BSU was outhit, outhustled, and dominated offensively. Defensively, confused a freshman QB making his first start, and essentially shut down their only weapon on offense. UNT did enough to win the game against a decent MAC team at their place, but more importantly, they showed they are maturing and coming along on schedule as a program. Talent level is improving. Leaders are emerging. Players are buying in and getting on board. Coaching, conditioning, and repetition is evident. Very very encouraging signs.

Defensively? Speed, speed, speed. It’s so obvious that there are big strides here it’s just sick. UNT faced a very good running back, and except for a couple of highlight plays which you expected him to get, the DL did a good job bending but forcing punts. How many alligator arm tackles last night? Not a whole lot, because the defense was THERE to make the play laterally and in the secondary. Defensive line was able to generate at least SOME pressure, but this is still a concern. No sacks, and very few TFL’s. Deloach threw a lot of stunts, blitzes, and twists to get pressure. Not satisfied here, and here’s hoping the pass rush can make some strides. However, I have to give the DL credit for getting stronger and holding their own at the point of attack. Nice job stoning BSU at the goal line in the first half and holding their offense to 3. The BSU running backs did not blast through the DL like would have happened in year’s past. Bottom line: they held the Cardinals to 10 points, and scored what would have been 7 for the good guys. GRADE: C+

It's not that the DL didn't have a chance to make plays/sacks/TFLs. There were many times they got hands on him and couldn't make the tackle. I know their QB is very good and elusive, but if you get a hand on him that much, you should be able to bring him down once or twice. I like that there were defenders in his face many times when he was throwing.

I think I going to have to give the D at least a B for last night. I would have like to have seen a bit more pressure on Ball State's QB, but for the most part they contained their offense. Other major problem: facemask penalties! Unbelievable - a bad sign of hand tackling.

As far as the "high school" offense, I thought the play calling last night was much better. It kept BSU's defense off-balance and guessing. A major improvement from last year that I think is an indication that TDodge is making the adjustment to the college game.

This brings me to the offensive line play. One word—dominating. Reminded me of some of the OL's of past years. You didn't see the defensive line penetrating on running plays and blowing up the QB or ball carrier, because this line is now competitive in size and strength, and have been coached hard in their schemes. They looked to be in mid-season form last night, and absolutely gashed BSU and gassed them by the 4th quarter. GRADE: A

How much of this can we attribute to having the best linemean on the team back this season? Kelvin Drake does so much to solidify this line it's not even funny.