Sun Belt - C U S A Would Have An Interesting Merger

Another interesting "wish list" from a fan. No league or school official would dare float this for risk of being branded the first traitor. Still, the idea has a lot of merit...another reason it won't happen. Best wish for NT is to hope for a defect leaving from CUSA. Then bribe or beg an interview; assuming we have a new facility to showcase.

Man I always get so horny (super excited- non sexually) in this case, LOL, when I see the word conference and then these teams below it:

NORTH TEXAS

SMU

TULANE

RICE

TULSA

UTEP

HOUSTON

All in the same conference, please make this happen GOD, please!!!!!! I don't care who the coach of our team is, when the new stadium will be built or if it will ever be built, what type of hotel we have, damn, I just dont want to see us playing

FIU, FAU, Western Kentucky, and MTSU anymore.

Neither of the 2 proposals provide a better conference then CUSA currently has so how would CUSA benefit? I just dont get this type of merger talk.

Agree. It would be like the Southland Conference wanting to merge with the Sun Belt. Only thing that would be considered a assest would be WKU BB & Troy FB. Only reason we would make sense is from a geographical standpoint

Edited by NT03

Agree. It would be like the Southland Conference wanting to merge with the Sun Belt. Only thing that would be considered a assest would be WKU BB & Troy FB. Only reason we would make sense is from a geographical standpoint

And the upside that UNT brings if they ever get going. Large Market, Large University... I'm not sure if we have a tier 4 university CUSA so there may be a push to get UNT up to a tier 3. I really would like to see UNT in and UTEP out.

Questions with this potential conference.

1. LaTech thinks they are better than the Sunbelt, why would they want to make themselves peers to ULL or ULM?

2. The Sunbelt has gotten some press because of WKU's deep runs into the NCAA tourney. Would WKU and Memphis want to fight each other for Conference spot?

3. Why have South Alabama in the 'Western' Conference when Troy, SoMiss, and UAB are all in the East? Why not bring another Texas School or NM St for UTEP?

Neither of the 2 proposals provide a better conference then CUSA currently has so how would CUSA benefit? I just dont get this type of merger talk.

It's mainly driven by economic and geographic reasons. Save $$ by having conference teams closer together. Not so much a concern for USM in the middle of CUSA but for UNT on the far western edge of the SBC it would be a huge savings to play teams mainly west of the mississippi river.

I still can't figure out why people keep putting UTEP in this localized conference scenario. Have you looked at a map? UTEP is 10 or so hours away from DFW. MUTS is 10 or so. Why would UTEP be a better opponent?

El Paso is a short, nonstop flight away from Dallas on SWA. They have much better facilities and attendance than the Muts. Even if it is 800 miles away, it is a Texas school. It is always fun to beat a UT-Somebody!

El Paso is a short, nonstop flight away from Dallas on SWA. They have much better facilities and attendance than the Muts. Even if it is 800 miles away, it is a Texas school. It is always fun to beat a UT-Somebody!

El Paso is about 600 miles away and UTEP also has a lotta exes in this area

Edited by MeanGreen61