Not Ready For Prime Time

I am sure this will "warm the hearts" of my soccer hating friends here on GMG.Com, but the latest two games by the US squad in the Confererations Cup (being played in South Africa as a "preview" of the 2010 World Cup) were absolutely pitiful. This is YOUR National team I am talking about here. Like soccer or not, it is the NATIONAL TEAM...like the embarrassing show basketball put on before this last Olympis win...embarrassing!

Sure, the U.S. played the current world champ (Italy) and probably the second best team in the world (Brazil) in these two games, but come on...two embarrassing and lifeless games by the US squad. They lost 1-3 to Italy and then 0-3 to Brazil. BAD...just plain bad. Two goals from Italy were scored by an AMERICAN born player (Rossi) who could have been playing in a U.S. jersey. Talk about insult to injury.

Man, both were very tough to watch. Against Italy the play was OK, but against Brazil...can you say never even showed up???? The U.S. teams looked nervous and timid against the Brazilians and certaily made some stupid tackles (one leading to a very unnecessary red card) while they were at it all. Coach Bradley needs to do something quick to change the "attitude" of this team. Beasley seems to be "past his prime" and I am not sure yet that Bradley (son of head coach) deserves his position...yet. Bradley has talent, but needs to play a full 90 min. and hone those passes and defensive skills. And, Donavan...the supposed best U.S. player...the "thinking" that he just doesn't "show up" in important games...well, might be some truth to that.

The U.S. plays Egypt next in the Cup and needs to show up! Egypt is a real surpriase...they beat Italy 1-0 and just lost to Brazil 4-3 or something like that. Egypt will be a real test for the U.S. and is an up and coming team on the world stage.

OK, rant over...very disappointed inj the U.S. team's play during this current Confederations Cup. :angry:

Actually, why get Kram's thoughts on soccer when you can get a former player's uncensored ruminations: http://deadspin.com/5296960/the-one-where-...y-drinking-team

Scroll down to "One For The Footie Fans"

GEEEEEEEEZZZZZZ LOUISE...Eric Wynalda no less. If you knew much about soccer you would realize this is the sort of stuff Wynalda has been known for through out his very "up and down" career on the National Team. He scored a great goal for the U.S. in one World Cup as I recall, but his teams did not do all that well on the World stage. He was known as much for his "big mouth" and bad temper (not always much of a team player either at times...seemed to be in it for his personal "glory") as he was for his play. The guy had a ton of talent and at times was brilliant on the pitch, but always seemed to be complaining about one thing or the other, knocking his team mates, etc.

So, quotes from Eric Wynalda are nothing new. Interesting rant, however! And, while said a bit differently, he does seem to think the U.S. team was not much to "look at" in the Italy game. Can't say as I disagree with that point.

GEEEEEEEEZZZZZZ LOUISE...Eric Wynalda no less. If you knew much about soccer you would realize this is the sort of stuff Wynalda has been known for through out his very "up and down" career on the National Team. He scored a great goal for the U.S. in one World Cup as I recall, but his teams did not do all that well on the World stage. He was known as much for his "big mouth" and bad temper (not always much of a team player either at times...seemed to be in it for his personal "glory") as he was for his play. The guy had a ton of talent and at times was brilliant on the pitch, but always seemed to be complaining about one thing or the other, knocking his team mates, etc.

So, quotes from Eric Wynalda are nothing new. Interesting rant, however! And, while said a bit differently, he does seem to think the U.S. team was not much to "look at" in the Italy game. Can't say as I disagree with that point.

That's why I prefer hanging outside of kid's soccer games in a trenchcoat. No egos, no money and no SPOILED athletes with big money contracts!

KRAM, i am glad you appreciate the sport. I really don't have many to talk to about it but i am just as enthusiastic about our national us team as unt football. I can't miss a game.

I was pleased with our game against italy. I gave them a pass on everything in that game because of circumstances. But, the brazil game is without excuse. This is the 2nd really bad game in the last 4 played.

I have been critical of Coach Bradley before and I am even more adamant about it now. He makes lousy personnel decisions and even worse in-game strategy. Why is Beasley even out there?! Altidore has a horrible first touch and lacks speed to be a consistent forward. He has just gotten over an injury and has no business being on the pitch right now... we have to have someone better than him at forward. Demerit constantly disappoints because he is afraid to put himself in front of a shot. Our midfield is too weak and inconsistent. We possess practically no offense and make jv mistakes in the midfield. Dempsey holds on to the ball way too long. I even believe that Donovan is fading. And he actually started Sacha! SACHA!?! what has he ever done to warrant a start at the confederations cup. I am beginning to face the music that we just aren't good. Not until we get a good coach that teaches discipline/focus for a full 90 and a team with greater depth and knowledge. We have none of that.

We have to have players in our system that are better than this. If not, it will be a long next 4 years. I am hoping the US Soccer prez will wake up and realize that Coach Bradley will not take us to the next level unless he learns to quit bringing out the personnel that he does. But, it is too late to do that now because of the world cup next year. hell, I would rather have Lalas out there coaching.... at least he would be better with in-game strategy.

The only thing i am consistently happy with is Bocanegra, Hejduk, and Spector... they are the consistent bright spots. Outside of that we have no one near that level of play.

I would like to see Cherundulo and Brian Ching more. I don't know if they are hurt or not. Why aren't they playing right now!?

That's why I prefer hanging outside of kid's soccer games in a trenchcoat. No egos, no money and no SPOILED athletes with big money contracts!

Ditto. Much more pure and pristine at that level. Most of them will play ball for a lollipop or a box of raisins.

KRAM, i am glad you appreciate the sport. I really don't have many to talk to about it but i am just as enthusiastic about our national us team as unt football. I can't miss a game.

I was pleased with our game against italy. I gave them a pass on everything in that game because of circumstances. But, the brazil game is without excuse. This is the 2nd really bad game in the last 4 played.

I have been critical of Coach Bradley before and I am even more adamant about it now. He makes lousy personnel decisions and even worse in-game strategy. Why is Beasley even out there?! Altidore has a horrible first touch and lacks speed to be a consistent forward. He has just gotten over an injury and has no business being on the pitch right now... we have to have someone better than him at forward. Demerit constantly disappoints because he is afraid to put himself in front of a shot. Our midfield is too weak and inconsistent. We possess practically no offense and make jv mistakes in the midfield. Dempsey holds on to the ball way too long. I even believe that Donovan is fading. And he actually started Sacha! SACHA!?! what has he ever done to warrant a start at the confederations cup. I am beginning to face the music that we just aren't good. Not until we get a good coach that teaches discipline/focus for a full 90 and a team with greater depth and knowledge. We have none of that.

We have to have players in our system that are better than this. If not, it will be a long next 4 years. I am hoping the US Soccer prez will wake up and realize that Coach Bradley will not take us to the next level unless he learns to quit bringing out the personnel that he does. But, it is too late to do that now because of the world cup next year. hell, I would rather have Lalas out there coaching.... at least he would be better with in-game strategy.

The only thing i am consistently happy with is Bocanegra, Hejduk, and Spector... they are the consistent bright spots. Outside of that we have no one near that level of play.

I would like to see Cherundulo and Brian Ching more. I don't know if they are hurt or not. Why aren't they playing right now!?

Travis...great stuff...man, I'm glad to have you on the board...it gets a bit "lonely" at times. :lol: I agree with the comments about Coach Bradley. It might just be time (after the 2010 World Cup) to look outside the U.S. for our next head coach. Bora (the oft hired turn around guy) did OK with what he had to work with those many years ago, I think the team is fundamentally more sound and "mature" (as an organization) now and could be ready for a foreign born coach. This team (the one often seen on the pitch from Bradley) seems to lack the stamina to go a full 90. Frankie is a spark and should be there consistently...he has earned his spot (although is that a face only a mother could love or what???), BOCA and Spector are both fine. Beasley...what's up? He has now even apologized for his "error" in the Brazil game. He shouldn't have been on the pitch in the first place...he seems to be "done" in my opinion. The U.S. should make it through qualifying to the World Cup, but they need to find themselves or it will be a very early exit after the first round games.

I will be in the Seattle area over the 4th of July and may get to see the U.S. play. They need to come to Frisco and play a friendly sometime soon. Glad to have you on the board, Travis! GO MEAN GREEN!

OK, you have played your hand this time...obviously you have not been to many "kid's soccer games" if you think there are no spoiled athletes! Well, actually, it's not the kids so much as the parents...even at Under-6 and Under-8 games some of the parents are way over the top. Almost...not quite...but almost reminds me of little kid baseball and pee wee football parents.

At Under-6 and Under-8 the kids are talking to players on the other team and asking if they want to "spend the night" with them after the game and if they will get ice cream and stuff...while the parents are going ballistic over a refs call they have no idea what happened, what law of the game was invoked, etc., etc. Can be really funny sometimes. Well, if the parents were not so sad that is.....

At Under-6 and Under-8 the kids are talking to players on the other team and asking if they want to "spend the night" with them after the game and if they will get ice cream and stuff...

Putting "spend the night" in quotes makes this even more naughty and inappropriate than what Quoner wrote.

Kids really do grow up so fast these days... :cry:

Putting "spend the night" in quotes makes this even more naughty and inappropriate than what Quoner wrote.

Kids really do grow up so fast these days... :cry:

Get your mind out of the gutter...you don't want to be acting like Letterman or anything like that... :lol::innocent:

Edited by KRAM1

I forget which radio sports-talk host said, "After the match the Brazilian team said they are ready for their next match b/c they didn't even break a sweat against the Americans."

I'm not a big soccer guy, but I bought a Ronaldino Barcelona soccer jersey when I was there 3 years ago. Whenever I wear it (pretty rarely) I always get a comment or two from random soccer fans on the street. I get comments from my NT jersey, but people think I'm a Philadelphia Eagles fan and want to kick my ass. A month ago when Barcelona won the championship of whatever league they are in, I wore my jersey the next day and was asked by no less then a dozen people if I watched the game. I DID watch half.

Losing 1-3 and 0-3 is like losing 7-21 and 0-21.

So to put that in Dodge terms we'd lose like 7-0 against Troy?

Edited by EagleD