C F N North Texas Preview

All things considered, not a bad write-up of a program that should look and play much better this year than in the two previous seasons. I would say that the mentioned "4 wins" would be a nice improvement, and it seems very possible to me. Anyway, given the story the last couple of years if you didn't have any "skin in the game" and were not that close to the UNT program, an OK write-up. I think he mentions the same keys that everyone will and he points to the challenges we all know exist. So, OK...let's tape it up and get things started. I am darn sure ready for some college football!!!!

GO MEAN GREEN!

This guy seems like he actually might have seen North Texas play last year a time or two. Or at least he did his homework one way or the other. Good writeup.

I've still got to disagree that 4 wins is a successful season--it's an improvement, but I don't know if it's enough to keep the current head coach in place, unless we remain closely competitive in all conference games.

I think this violates the "one reference to masonary when describing either defensive or offensive line" statute.

At the risk of sounding ungrateful, I won't be happy with a 4 win season. I'm not sure it's reasonable, but I'd like to at least be qualified to play in a bowl should the situation present itself. And having said that, a 5 win turnaround woould be amazing.

High Standards Motivate.

If this team and fanbase go into the season with standards less than bowl eligibility, we have a problem. I was personally expecting a 4 win season last year and I have not curtailed my expectations on the development of this program because we performed poorly in 2008.

Raise the Bar, Recuit the players who like to play under high standards, hold people accountable.

GMG

They wrote up that Truman Spencer would be the punter. Hmmm.

Anyway, it says what most have us have already said - four wins would be nice. Inexperience in many places. Results need to be shown. Same thing we kick around here.

They also seem unimpressed with Riley Dodge as a QB so far, rightly suggesting that if he hasn't been able to light up our average defense in practices, things might not work out so good for us when the real bullets are flying during the season.

True. And agreed that we are all potential at this point.

But did you notice that they were very high on the talent levels? I was somewhat surprised at how highly they regarded our players at several positions.

I liked this quote: " Cantly. He's a very, very raw work in progress, but he's also extremely big and stunningly unblockable at times. If and when the light goes on, he's the star of the show up front." Sure hope they are right about this!

I think this violates the "one reference to masonary when describing either defensive or offensive line" statute.

At the risk of sounding ungrateful, I won't be happy with a 4 win season. I'm not sure it's reasonable, but I'd like to at least be qualified to play in a bowl should the situation present itself. And having said that, a 5 win turnaround woould be amazing.

I think not being happy with a 4-win season given where the program has been, this years schedule and a freshman QB is unreasonable and unlikely. I'd take 4 wins and more competitive games into the second half with the exception of the Bama game in a heartbeat. I'd also like to see those wins come in the second half of the season so we can have some momentum to point to next year.

They wrote up that Truman Spencer would be the punter. Hmmm.

Anyway, it says what most have us have already said - four wins would be nice. Inexperience in many places. Results need to be shown. Same thing we kick around here.

They also seem unimpressed with Riley Dodge as a QB so far, rightly suggesting that if he hasn't been able to light up our average defense in practices, things might not work out so good for us when the real bullets are flying during the season.

I liked how they wrote that Spencer wouldn't be returning, then one paragraph later saying that he was returning. God bless editors.

He'll (Jeremy Knott) also have the early line on the punting job, replacing the solid Truman Spencer. Trent Deans will be given a shot, but it's Knott's job to lose because of his big leg.

Senior Truman Spencer is a big punter and a big weapon cranking out a 73-yarder on the way to a 41.6-yard average. He didn't get much help from his coverage team, but he was good at putting it inside the 20, doing it 12 times, and should be one of the team's better all-star prospects.

This guy seems like he actually might have seen North Texas play last year a time or two. Or at least he did his homework one way or the other. Good writeup.

I've still got to disagree that 4 wins is a successful season--it's an improvement, but I don't know if it's enough to keep the current head coach in place, unless we remain closely competitive in all conference games.

I think if we win 4 games next year, they will all be in conference and if we can win 4 games, that we would probably be competative in most of the conference games. It would be interesting to know how many wins they predicted for us last year - if I remember right, I believe it was 5. 4 wins is not successful in most cases, but IF this team can win 4 games based on what we have seen in the last 2 years, then I would say it would be a tremendous success.

I think if we win 4 games next year, they will all be in conference and if we can win 4 games, that we would probably be competative in most of the conference games. It would be interesting to know how many wins they predicted for us last year - if I remember right, I believe it was 5. 4 wins is not successful in most cases, but IF this team can win 4 games based on what we have seen in the last 2 years, then I would say it would be a tremendous success.

They predicted three wins for us last year.

Really? Here a two segments of their article that would seem to differ from your opinion:

Best Offensive Player: Redshirt freshman QB Riley Dodge ... eventually. RB Cam Montgomery and center/guard Kelvin Drake are the best players going into the season, and Oklahoma transfer Tyler Stradford is a good-looking receiver prospect, but Dodge is the star of the show. At least he needs to be. He was a top recruit who came to North Texas to play for his dad, and now he has to be far sharper and far more productive than he has been in practices over the last two years. Knowing the offense isn't a problem, but he has to produce
Key player to a successful season: Dodge. It's not a stretch to say the future of the program, at least of his father, is in his hands. Riley Dodge was shaky at times throughout spring ball and hasn't done anything to suggest that he's about to be special, but he's only a redshirt freshman. With time, he should be a fantastic passer who could make the offense explode, but he needs to lead the way to wins or he might be playing for another coach next season.

They are just realistic about how young QB's need time to develop. I, shockingly, have agreed with many of your recent posts, but I think your dislike of anything Dodge is creating a bias towards how you read things. Please tell me how many freshmen or RS freshmen QB's have been an immediate success in college and haven't suffered through some "growing pains."

Edited by UNTLifer

Really? Here a two segments of their article that would seem to differ from your opinion:

They are just realistic about how young QB's need time to develop. I, shockingly, have agreed with many of your recent posts, but I think your dislike of anything Dodge is creating a bias towards how you read things. Please tell me how many freshmen or RS freshmen QB's have been an immediate success in college and haven't suffered through some "growing pains."

Yes, really:

The bad news is that he was average this spring and wasn't consistent. At 6-0 and 182 pounds he's not all that big/

Tune to see action. It's Dodge's job and he's not going to lose it after a bad outing or two, but he hasn't been good enough to be simply handed the full-time job for the entire season based on family ties.

He wasn't all that great in practices against the mediocre Mean Green defense, what's he going to do once the bullets start flying?

Major Applewhite, Colt McCoy, Sam Bradford, Robert Griffin, etc...there's a long list of QBs who have been ready as freshmen or redshirt freshmen. Granted, they come from programs that don't hire high school coaches to lead the team.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

I'm most worried about Riley thinking he can sprint around on the field and make something out of nothing Romo style. I hope he realizes he will be more valuable making accurate passes and avoiding sacks. He has competent RBs he can hand off to, let them take the beatings.

Edited by Stan R

Guest GrayEagleOne

I'm not getting it. Pete Fiuzat harps on Riley's size, inexperience and average spring training; then turns around and gives the quarterback a 5.5, the same as the heralded running backs and offensive line. He also mentioned that passing offense production would be a weakness but would improve later on in the season.

Pete does a very good job putting an article together based on the known information. He is just not close enough to the situation to know a lot of details and has to soft peddle the transfers that have not yet reported. Overall, I thought that it was a very fair article.

One observation...someone must have really sold him on Akpunku/AK47.

Yes, really:

The bad news is that he was average this spring and wasn't consistent. At 6-0 and 182 pounds he's not all that big/

Tune to see action. It's Dodge's job and he's not going to lose it after a bad outing or two, but he hasn't been good enough to be simply handed the full-time job for the entire season based on family ties.

He wasn't all that great in practices against the mediocre Mean Green defense, what's he going to do once the bullets start flying?

Major Applewhite, Colt McCoy, Sam Bradford, Robert Griffin, etc...there's a long list of QBs who have been ready as freshmen or redshirt freshmen. Granted, they come from programs that don't hire high school coaches to lead the team.

Keep on comparing who we recruit to the likes of who UT, OU, etc... recruit. It's not the same and probably never will be. Riley Dodge was a two time Class 5A POY and the best recruit we've had in a long, long time. I have a feeling he is going to shock a lot of people, in a good way, over his four year career.

There will be bumps in the road and there will be problems early on, but eventually the light will go on and the offense should explode. Patience, even after two years under Dodge, will remain a key virtue.

Patience? Patience? Are we really talking about patience? :ph34r: What does a writer for College Football News know about being patient over a bunch of casual fans? He's got to be kidding, right?

Keep on comparing who we recruit to the likes of who UT, OU, etc... recruit. It's not the same and probably never will be. Riley Dodge was a two time Class 5A POY and the best recruit we've had in a long, long time. I have a feeling he is going to shock a lot of people, in a good way, over his four year career.

But we're not competing in the Big XII. That's the flaw with that counterpoint: we're not asking a Sun Belt kid to compete against Big XII schools. If BIG XII coaches can get a Big XII kid to light up Big XII defenses, why can't we expect the same for our Sun Belt staff/recruits/defenses?

Remember Scott Hall and Andrew Smith? They won a few conference games. That's all we're asking for, right?

As of right now, Rodge has a few runs for one TD and a concussion.

I hope he is part of the puzzle this year that gets solved. He has all the tools he needs now to get the chains moving within conference.

I agree, but TFLF is predicting failure. He doesn't think Riley has the talent to be a FBS quarterback and I disagree. I also believe the every coach would prefer not to start a freshman or redshirt freshman at QB if he has the time to let them develop physically for a year or two.

But we're not competing in the Big XII. That's the flaw with that counterpoint: we're not asking a Sun Belt kid to compete against Big XII schools. If BIG XII coaches can get a Big XII kid to light up Big XII defenses, why can't we expect the same for our Sun Belt staff/recruits/defenses?

Remember Scott Hall and Andrew Smith? They won a few conference games. That's all we're asking for, right?

As of right now, Rodge has a few runs for one TD and a concussion.

I hope he is part of the puzzle this year that gets solved. He has all the tools he needs now to get the chains moving within conference.

True, but UT and OU have superior talent around their freshman QB's, and yes, I do mean superior to everyone else in the Big 12. Take Sam Bradford for example, that kid had all day to make a read every game, but the UT game.

TFLF would continue to harp on Riley even if the team opened 6-0! Just understand that's where "lonnie" is coming from and you can put a bit of perspective in his continued negativity directed toward Riely. Fact is, no one really knows how good (or not) Riley will be as a D-1 QB. The kid hasn't had the chance as yet. We will all see how it goes soon enough. Unlike Lonnie, I think Riley will do fine...in fact more than fine, but like everyone else...that's an opinion.

As for his size and injuries...again, who really knows? We'll see. I would just like a few folks to give the kid the chance before you write him off as I doubt anyone knows any more than TD and RD do about the possibilities of success this fall for Riley. Remember, if Riley is successful, there is an excellent chance the Mean Green will be successful. So, my support goes to Riley and TD, and so do my positive expectations. It is so much more fun to be positive in attitude because right this moment every team in the nation is 0-0!

GO MEAN GREEN...let's get this season going. It is going to be great fun!