Richard Thomas----garden City Kansas Cc

SUMG

He shows as having signed a letter of intent on our Rivals commitment page...I'm really hoping this is wrong.

Richard Thomas - 6'5" 190 - 13.6ppg, 3.4rpg, 1.8apg, 43% FG, 30% 3PT, 75% FT, 49 steals, 13 blocks...115 turnovers (3.0tpg).

I don't get it...he looks like a fine player, but he isn't a perimeter threat at 30% from 3 (though he thinks he is more than Shannon Shorter as Thomas jacked up 161 three point attempts last season, second on his team)...and you're not going to play him on the ball for stretches with a 1:2 assist to turnover. Those are the two areas of immediate concern for this team, and thus why you would spend a scholarship on a JUCO...immediate help.

This player looks like a poor man's Tristan Thompson...so I'm really hoping there is no bad news on that front.

I get going the JUCO route for a Brister to play the point, or Adam Brown to stretch defenses, or signing a big time impact player...but it seems like JJ should be able to find a high school kid that could fill this scholarship.

Like this kid: Tony McGilveary

Local kid with offers from TCU, SFA and Southern...3 programs who we're currently higher on the food chain.

This signing really worries me.

I agree. Unfortunately this kid already signed with Southern. There seems to be much higher impact players out there who we should have a better than decent shot at landing. Not sure why you would pull the trigger on this kid, unless there is something we don't know about him...

I agree. Unfortunately this kid already signed with Southern. There seems to be much higher impact players out there who we should have a better than decent shot at landing. Not sure why you would pull the trigger on this kid, unless there is something we don't know about him...

after 3 20 win seasons and good recruting...im going to go out on a limb here and say JJ probably knows what he is doin and if he feels like this player will be an impact on D like vito's blog says...and JJ felt good enough to offer him a scholarship...then i feel he will be a good player for North Texas...Welcome Richard!

after 3 20 win seasons and good recruting...im going to go out on a limb here and say JJ probably knows what he is doin and if he feels like this player will be an impact on D like vito's blog says...and JJ felt good enough to offer him a scholarship...then i feel he will be a good player for North Texas...Welcome Richard!

My concern is that after 3 20 win seasons we are competeting with St Francis (NY) (10-19 IN 08-09) for a player who doesn't seem to fill the need of sharpshooter or ball hander as pointed out by CBL. If he is truley a lock down defender, then I will be happy with this signing. Otherwise I think the scholarship could have been spent better somewhere else. I do like the fact that he is listed at 6-4/6-5 (hopefully that's accurate). A bigger option at the 2 is necessary, although Shorter may already fit that bill.

My concern is that after 3 20 win seasons we are competeting with St Francis (NY) (10-19 IN 08-09) for a player who doesn't seem to fill the need of sharpshooter or ball hander as pointed out by CBL. If he is truley a lock down defender, then I will be happy with this signing. Otherwise I think the scholarship could have been spent better somewhere else. I do like the fact that he is listed at 6-4/6-5 (hopefully that's accurate). A bigger option at the 2 is necessary, although Shorter may already fit that bill.

Exactly...in spite of 3 20 win seasons and improved national recognition for the Sun Belt, JJ is still targetting the same kind of players he was after in 2002.

Add to that...this doesn't fill ANY kind of need on this roster. We now have 4 players at 6'4"-6'5"...only one has shown the ability to be a true perimeter threat, and he did it for one game and we're not even sure he's back next season (Collin Mangrum)...TT can knock down jumpers, but he's better as a slasher...Shorter and Thomas are both slashers. Oh...and they're all 4 juniors. Somebody want to tell me where you find minutes for all of them, especially considerring Josh and Dom will be on the floor together for at least 25 minutes a night still.

Adam Brown at Quad C makes sense b/c he's a 48% 3 point shooter. Marcus Brister makes sense b/c he's a big, pass first point guard. Richard Thomas makes none to me.

Yes, it doesn't appear to make a whole lot of sense since he looks to be a similar player to Shorter and they're both Juniors. I guess JJ is really recruiting the defensive angle since perimeter defense was clearly a problem for us last year, but you guys are right in that there are only so many minutes to go around on the outside. I would have rather we signed a quality PG (frosh or JC) or a replacement more in the mold of McCoy, but we got what we got and let's hope that he proves to be better beyond the arc than he demonstrated last season. Welcome aboard Richard, and work on those 3's!

I'm concerned with the future core of this team. This gives us like 7 Jr's!!

Actually we're at 8 juniors (next season) as of right now:

Tristan Thompson

George Odufuwa

Collin Mangrum

Kedrick Hogans

Josh White

Cameron Spencer (transfer from SMU---eligible next year)

Shannon Shorter (incoming juco)

Richard Thomas (incoming juco)

If JJ uses his last scholly on a juco...our roster will be: 9 juniors; 2 freshmen (Knox, Holmen); 2 seniors (Tramiel, Dom). That's not a good balance.

Actually we're at 8 juniors (next season) as of right now:

Tristan Thompson

George Odufuwa

Collin Mangrum

Kedrick Hogans

Josh White

Cameron Spencer (transfer from SMU---eligible next year)

Shannon Shorter (incoming juco)

Richard Thomas (incoming juco)

If JJ uses his last scholly on a juco...our roster will be: 9 juniors; 2 freshmen (Knox, Holmen); 2 seniors (Tramiel, Dom). That's not a good balance.

You're assuming "last" based on the idea Collin will be back and that Cameron is getting a scholarship. I'd be willing to bet at least one of those doesn't happen