Is Dirk Playoff Soft

OK, for all you pro basketball fans out there...help me out with this. On the drive in to work ths morning on KRLD sports segment, I heard the announcer talking about Dirk disapperaing "again" in a playoff game. He said it was a regular thing with Dirk when the playoffs came around. Seems Dirk is easy to take out of the game during playoff time. So, just how can a recent NBA MVP be "soft", if that really is the case, when the playoffs roll around?

Is he the "Tony Romo" for Dallas basketball fans in performance level when it really counts? Hey, I don't follow pro basketball enough to know for sure, but I really thought Dirk was a real solid pro game in and game out. Maybe not so much in the playoffs??? If you look at last nights line, sure seems Dirk was "missing in action". Is this somewhat "normal" for him in the playoffs?

OK, please, I am not beating Dirk up. I think he is the heart and soul; of the Dallas Mavs and has been the franchise player for some years now, so don't go get all "postal" on me for talking about Dirk or asking questions if the Mavs are YOUR team and Dirk is YOUR guy. I just want some decent thoughtful responses to a fair question.

So, Mavs and pro basketball fans, what say you?

When the Spurs are hitting shots like they did last night, they'll make a lot of people look bad.

Having said that, I thought the Mavs looked indecisive at times last night and the game plan could have involved Dirk more. Also, his shot was uncharacteristically off.

Are people forgetting the monster playoff games he has had before?

click here: http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/20...remier-pla.html

Stop and read this part slowly:

Dirk has career averages of 22.7 points and 8.6 rebounds per game for the regular season. His playoff averages: 25.3 points and 11.1 rebounds.

To put into perspective how impressive those playoffs stats are, he's one of only five 25/10 playoff performers in NBA history. The others: Elgin Baylor, Hakeem Olajuwon, Bob Pettit and Shaquille O'Neal.

He may not be the guy you want handling the ball down the stretch because it's guards and slashers who make the difference at the end by being smart with the ball and initiating the offense, but last night falls on a team that got fat and happy with clinching an opening split. No matter how good a matchup this is on paper, they are a 6 seed and a crappy road team for a reason. They better hope it doesn't bite them in Dallas when they try to flip it on again.

Dirk is not a soft player despite the constant national jabs to the contrary. In my opinion I would like to see him take it to the rim a little more but that is just not his game. His shot was off last night and you have got to give SA a hand for taking him out of the game. They are and have always ben a great defensive team and this time the flexed that defensive muscle on Dirk.

Guest JohnDenver

I think it is absurd to call him soft. He plays through *all* injuries. He never backs away from a shot and doesn't back down from the other teams star players.

Everyone has off games. Everyone. When I think of his playoff performances, the time Tim Thomas was jawing at him in the Suns series a few years back. They got face to face, got techs called.. then the next time down the court Dirk pulled up for a 3 and nailed it.. and mouthed "All Day" to Thomas. Then he went on to dominate and scored 52 points and took the road win (and the series).

The whole team is playoff soft.

Now, that might just be the correct answer.

Like I said, I heard the comment about Dirk on the radio. Don't know enough to know from personal experience, so I put the question to you folks. Got some good answers too...I think the real answer is that Diork is a real gamer who may have "off" nights from time to time in the playoffs, but the real culprit here is that the team as a whole is playoff soft.

So, any thoughts on that line of thinking from yyz28? I think he may have hit on something here.