South Alabama (2/5/09)

CMJ

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to tell you, but this isn't that tough of a league this year. We have 6 conference losses, and as I recall, every one of those games was winnable.

Anyway, typical JJ season. Win a bunch of OOC games against weak competition. Then go around .500 in league play. And hope that you win the SBC tournament.

We are now at 10 losses....and with several more losses for sure...you can kiss goodbye any chance for a NIT or CBI bid. No, with Jones, it's win the SBC tournament or else. Never ever have a year when you can be considered for a NCAA at large bid, NIT or CBI.

Edited by SUMG

To be honest...I have a feeling that the only 2 schools with any realistic chance to make the NIT is the loser of UALR and WKU(if by chance one of those 2 doesn't win the league then both might make the NIT). Nobody has a chance of an at-large NCAA bid this season.

Edited by CMJ

Same old story. Play with our opponents, yet cannot pull it out at the end. Really kind of a sad season thus far. I'd like to chalk it up to the fact that we're mostly sophomores, or that we're a bit on the vertically/horizontally challenged side, but I think there is more to it than that. Come on JJ! Find us that magical FIRM lineup that takes us to the promised land! It better happen quick.

Same old story. Play with our opponents, yet cannot pull it out at the end. Really kind of a sad season thus far. I'd like to chalk it up to the fact that we're mostly sophomores, or that we're a bit on the vertically/horizontally challenged side, but I think there is more to it than that. Come on JJ! Find us that magical FIRM lineup that takes us to the promised land! It better happen quick.

Yes, there is more to it. Our lack of size...up front anyways...really has nothing to do with this team's struggles, especially when Tramiel, Odufuwa and Hogans combine for 35 points on 12-25 shooting and pull down 23 rebounds, including 10 offensive.

The problem...as I have been saying since the beginning of the season...is that this team lacks a point guard to provide leadership and improve shot selection. Its the reason you haven't seen a consistant line-up and its the reason this team struggles towards the end of games.

I take solace in two things. 1. This team is still very talented...5 players have had 20 point scoring nights. I promise you, nobody in conference wants to play us in the touney b/c they know how hot this team can get. 2. The key pieces of this thing are back next season, and in most cases for the next 2 years...if the 2 remaining scholarships are well allocated this team should turn the corner.

Yes, there is more to it. Our lack of size...up front anyways...really has nothing to do with this team's struggles, especially when Tramiel, Odufuwa and Hogans combine for 35 points on 12-25 shooting and pull down 23 rebounds, including 10 offensive.

The problem...as I have been saying since the beginning of the season...is that this team lacks a point guard to provide leadership and improve shot selection. Its the reason you haven't seen a consistant line-up and its the reason this team struggles towards the end of games.

I take solace in two things. 1. This team is still very talented...5 players have had 20 point scoring nights. I promise you, nobody in conference wants to play us in the touney b/c they know how hot this team can get. 2. The key pieces of this thing are back next season, and in most cases for the next 2 years...if the 2 remaining scholarships are well allocated this team should turn the corner.

You're certainly right that we could use a true point guard, but there have been many teams out there without a great point who seem to get by with a good overall team passing game. I guess we just don't qualify at this point, which probably means that we're going to have to shoot lights out to win the big games. I do think that JJ has got to find a guard rotation and stick with it. Since Tramiel is definitely proving to be a man on the inside, how about trying a four guard lineup with Mangrum/McCoy getting a shot at consistent playing time? It would at least give us more size/3 potential on the perimeter. Might be worth a look against certain opponents. On the other hand it's getting pretty late in the game for experimentation, but we need to settle on something.

You're certainly right that we could use a true point guard, but there have been many teams out there without a great point who seem to get by with a good overall team passing game. I guess we just don't qualify at this point, which probably means that we're going to have to shoot lights out to win the big games. I do think that JJ has got to find a guard rotation and stick with it. Since Tramiel is definitely proving to be a man on the inside, how about trying a four guard lineup with Mangrum/McCoy getting a shot at consistent playing time? It would at least give us more size/3 potential on the perimeter. Might be worth a look against certain opponents. On the other hand it's getting pretty late in the game for experimentation, but we need to settle on something.

I don't think JJ will change anything, but how about doing the opposite and going with a two guard lineup. Start Johnson or White at the point and Thompson at the two with Tremiel, Hogans and Odufuwa. Concentrate on getting inside buckets instead of bombing away with threes. NT is next to last in conference games in three point percentage at 30.8%. This proposed lineup should be a much better rebounding club and should also vastly improve the internal defense. Seems to me worth a try if only for segments of the game.