It's amazing how so many of these folks who want to yell and scream about "other folks" seem to have a hard time taking care of their own house. These folks are quick to raise their own pay the second congress reconvenes, but they don't want bonuses to corp executives...they want to raise taxes on the wealthy and add an extra level of tax on corp bonus payments, but they don't pay their own taxes! AMAZING...simply amazing the double standard of many of our elected representatives...we have a Treasurary Sec. who can't seem to pay taxes, now this comes out! Yep, let's CHANGE the way things are done in Washington. Man, this is priceless.

Throw all the bums out! Let's start completely over. If you have been in congress more thyan one full term...OUT! We need new folks...but folks who actually live under the rules they make! CHEATERS.....GO HOME!

I am in full support of term Limits for congress. I want people in three that know what is going on in the real world. Why not make them live under smilar rules that they make the presidents live under, 2 terms then go get a real job. After you have been in the work force for 2 more terms then you can come back if you want to. Washington needs new blood in it, people with an actual feel for what is going on with the rest of the country.

I half way agree with you that they are imposed by people. Thebpeoe can choose who they elect by definition however often times people are elected by familiarity and not necisarilly substance, see eddie murphy in distinguished gentleman, strom thurman, ted Kennedy, etc

If the people want term limits then congress is going to have to vote them in themselves. THe will of the people seems to take a back seat to those elected officials who want to maintain power.

term limits are election. I suppose you are right, but why did congress impose presidential term limits?

Because the Republican controlled congress of the late 40's had just seen FDR elected to four terms.

They took the choice out of the people's hands.

I'll never understand why so many are in favor of letting others tell them who they can or can't vote for.

Judging by the most recent election rhetoric, Congressional approval ratings, and a general sense of malaise and disenchantment with the way that this country is currently run I would say that the method of Term Limits by public election is not working very well. Seeing how, on average, 90+% of House incumbents get reelected and an equally alarming percentage of Senate incumbents get reelected each term and we continue to complain about the "good ole boy" system in Washington I would say that there is something fundamentally wrong. I personally feel that by imposing term limits on Congress we are encouraging a uninterested public to take an interest in their government, we are invoking fresh ideas and encouraging politicians to act more on principal than on the drive to get reelected as a career Representative or Senator.

The argument of term limits is not new to this country. In the Articles of Confederation publicly elected officials had a limit of three years in a six year period in which they could spend in office. Upon the collapse of those articles statesman such as Ben Franklin, Thomas Jefferson and John Adams all fought to continue the idea of term limits into the new constitution. Even prompting Benjamin Franklin to say the idea of term limits is "to prevent every danger which might arise to American freedom by continuing to long in office the members of the Continental Congress." "House Turnover and the Principle of Rotation," Political Science Quarterly 94 (Winter 1979-80)

Why is it that even by the centennial of this country the average tenure of a member of the House of Representatives was less than two terms? I feel that it was the same reason that for more than 150 years before FDR, presidents followed the example left for them by George Washington and left office voluntarily after two terms, There was a need for new ideas and new blood into a governmental system that is designed to be run by the people. I feel that there is a innate danger of corruption in office and of a public that grows more and more disinterested in their own government the longer that we let politicians use Washington as a place for them to cement a career. At this point I feel that career politicians of both parties are no longer a member of the government by the people, and they are more of a government for themselves.

I think that a majority of the public seems to be dissatisfied with the way things have been going with this country and that being the case the idea of term limits by election to me is not a way to say that the public likes the direction of the country, but rather it is a measure of the voting public's complacency and indifference to their government which needs to change.

Because the Republican controlled congress of the late 40's had just seen FDR elected to four terms.

They took the choice out of the people's hands.

I'll never understand why so many are in favor of letting others tell them who they can or can't vote for.

How is an amendment to the constitution be considered taking it out of the people's hands. "The Congress, whenever two thirds of both Houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose Amendments to this Constitution, or, on the Application of the Legislatures of two thirds of the several States, shall call a Convention for proposing Amendments, which, in either Case, shall be valid to all Intents and Purposes, as part of this Constitution, when ratified by the Legislatures of three fourths of the several States"

It takes 2/3rds majority vote in both houses and THEN 3/4 of majority of states must buy in.

Term limits are needed badly in this country. It is the best way to get good people to capitol hill and would go a long way to getting the money and special interests in check.

I say 2 terms for a senator (that's 12 years) and 6 for a representitive, that's also 12 years. If you can't get it done in 12 years, you're not going to get it done, so move over and get the @$%^ out of the way for someone who can. :)

Judging by the most recent election rhetoric, Congressional approval ratings, and a general sense of malaise and disenchantment with the way that this country is currently run I would say that the method of Term Limits by public election is not working very well. Seeing how, on average, 90+% of House incumbents get reelected and an equally alarming percentage of Senate incumbents get reelected each term and we continue to complain about the "good ole boy" system in Washington I would say that there is something fundamentally wrong. I personally feel that by imposing term limits on Congress we are encouraging a uninterested public to take an interest in their government, we are invoking fresh ideas and encouraging politicians to act more on principal than on the drive to get reelected as a career Representative or Senator.

The argument of term limits is not new to this country. In the Articles of Confederation publicly elected officials had a limit of three years in a six year period in which they could spend in office. Upon the collapse of those articles statesman such as Ben Franklin, Thomas Jefferson and John Adams all fought to continue the idea of term limits into the new constitution. Even prompting Benjamin Franklin to say the idea of term limits is "to prevent every danger which might arise to American freedom by continuing to long in office the members of the Continental Congress." "House Turnover and the Principle of Rotation," Political Science Quarterly 94 (Winter 1979-80)

Why is it that even by the centennial of this country the average tenure of a member of the House of Representatives was less than two terms? I feel that it was the same reason that for more than 150 years before FDR, presidents followed the example left for them by George Washington and left office voluntarily after two terms, There was a need for new ideas and new blood into a governmental system that is designed to be run by the people. I feel that there is a innate danger of corruption in office and of a public that grows more and more disinterested in their own government the longer that we let politicians use Washington as a place for them to cement a career. At this point I feel that career politicians of both parties are no longer a member of the government by the people, and they are more of a government for themselves.

I think that a majority of the public seems to be dissatisfied with the way things have been going with this country and that being the case the idea of term limits by election to me is not a way to say that the public likes the direction of the country, but rather it is a measure of the voting public's complacency and indifference to their government which needs to change.

Well said.