Major Props To Coach Jones

calvin

Looking at this year's media guide has made me realize what a horrible basketball program this has been. Coach Jones has done a remarkable job here. We are lucky to have him. Here are some of the things that stick out to me.

In the 12 seasons before Jones came here there were 6 seasons of less than 7 wins and only 4 of 12 were over .500 and the best season was 17-13 in 1990-91. In the Jones era we have only won less than 13 one time, his second year. He has gone 15-14, 7-21, 13-15, 14-14, 14-14, 23-11, 20-11, and hopefully 20 plus wins this year. Another thing that stuck out was before Jones got here there were only three 20 win seasons and those came from 1975-1978. And JJ has a chance to have his 3rd straight 20 win season.

Another big thing that stuck out to me was attendence. There were a lot of complaints earlier in the year about attendence and I dont think people realize how dismal it has been. Last year was the first time in 19 years that we have averaged over 3K for a season. And according to the media guide, last year was only the 5th time we have averaged over 3K since moving to the Pit. So if we can average over 3K this year, it will be the first time since 1978 that we have averaged over 3K 2 years in a row. So actually it will be quite an accomplishment if we can get over 3K this year and I think we can do that if we keep winning. So slowly but surely the attendence is getting better and will only get better with winning. I just hope we can get close to 3K for the UTA and MTSU games.

In summary, Coach Jones we appreciate you and what you have done here and look forward to more 20 win seasons and increased attendence.

Our all time winning percentage is just a shade over 46%. So yeah, we've been mediocre at best for about 90 years. Even if some are right, and Coach Jones is not the one to "take us to the next level", he has really rescued our program IMHO(if you remember the Trilli debacle, you know what I'm talking about). I'll always love Coach Jones for that.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I don't have a media guide but I believe that Dan Spika and Bill Blakeley were the only UNT coaches with a winning percentage greater than .500 until Johnny Jones.

I still rankle a little bit at the Blakeley firing. He was easily the most colorful coach and produced entertaining teams. Ironically, his last year he had already recruited Spud Webb and Coach Newman (I believe) wouldn't honor the commitment. We had a terrible season and Spud took North Carolina State to the Big Dance.

People who say Jones can't get us to the next level are rediculous. He has proven he can... we made the tourney 2 years ago.... 2 20 win seasons in a row. It doesn't get much better. And the risk of getting an unknown in here is too great. I like where our bball team is headed.

I didn't say I was one of those people btw. I sort of was about midway through our conference championship season, because we'd never really shown much beyond going .500, which after five seasons was kinda getting old. Not to mention he had 1 conference tournament victory in his first 5 years. But that '06-'07 team got JJ over the hump in several ways. But 1 conference tournament title, two(and seemingly on our way to another) 20 wins seasons in a row has got me pretty satisfied for now.

Edited by CMJ

I'm beginning to think that in spite of no precedent, anything short of a national championship will be sub par for some fans.

:lol:

That's probably true for every fan base to a degree. I don't think my expectations are that unreasonable however. For me, contending for the West Division title(and winning it one of these damn years) is my only real expectation. It's hard to expect a Conference title, because the league tournament is a crapshoot every year. But a Division title you CAN control(you can't even totally control the overall best conference regular season title because we only play schools in the East once, and usually the bottom of the East is weaker than the bottom of the West), so that is all I EXPECT to win.

A conference tournament title every 3-4 years with regularity is also not an unreasonable hope that I have. That way every kid who spends four years in the program goes to the NCAA's at least once in his career.

Edited by CMJ

My expectations are to be a team like WKU. Every year they are solid, every year they beat teams in BCS conferences, seems like every year they win 20, and every year they have a great conf. record and its an upset if they arent playing in the conf. title game. And then they are a team that can pull off a sweet sixteen run like last year. I would consistently like to be like them. To get over that hump we are going to have to win road games at UNO and Denver and places like that. If you notice it WKU seems to always win those games and they only have about 3 or 4 conf. losses a year. With 2 straight 20 seasons and with already 8 wins, we are on our way to being a program like that. But like I said, we have to win the road games that we should.

I really think if our 4 sophomores that start can stay together then we may have something special in a couple of years. Every mid major that makes a run seems to be a senior heavy team. Look at WKU last year, and George Mason a few years ago.

I don't have a media guide but I believe that Dan Spika and Bill Blakeley were the only UNT coaches with a winning percentage greater than .500 until Johnny Jones.

I still rankle a little bit at the Blakeley firing. He was easily the most colorful coach and produced entertaining teams. Ironically, his last year he had already recruited Spud Webb and Coach Newman (I believe) wouldn't honor the commitment. We had a terrible season and Spud took North Carolina State to the Big Dance.

Newman was a terrible hire. Similar to hiring Bob Tyler for football back then, just pitiful hires.

My expectations are to be a team like WKU. Every year they are solid, every year they beat teams in BCS conferences, seems like every year they win 20, and every year they have a great conf. record and its an upset if they arent playing in the conf. title game. And then they are a team that can pull off a sweet sixteen run like last year. I would consistently like to be like them. To get over that hump we are going to have to win road games at UNO and Denver and places like that. If you notice it WKU seems to always win those games and they only have about 3 or 4 conf. losses a year. With 2 straight 20 seasons and with already 8 wins, we are on our way to being a program like that. But like I said, we have to win the road games that we should.

I really think if our 4 sophomores that start can stay together then we may have something special in a couple of years. Every mid major that makes a run seems to be a senior heavy team. Look at WKU last year, and George Mason a few years ago.

I'd say those would be my hopes for the future. Those are different than current expectations. :D

Looking at this year's media guide has made me realize what a horrible basketball program this has been. Coach Jones has done a remarkable job here. We are lucky to have him. Here are some of the things that stick out to me.

In the 12 seasons before Jones came here there were 6 seasons of less than 7 wins and only 4 of 12 were over .500 and the best season was 17-13 in 1990-91. In the Jones era we have only won less than 13 one time, his second year. He has gone 15-14, 7-21, 13-15, 14-14, 14-14, 23-11, 20-11, and hopefully 20 plus wins this year. Another thing that stuck out was before Jones got here there were only three 20 win seasons and those came from 1975-1978. And JJ has a chance to have his 3rd straight 20 win season.

Another big thing that stuck out to me was attendence. There were a lot of complaints earlier in the year about attendence and I dont think people realize how dismal it has been. Last year was the first time in 19 years that we have averaged over 3K for a season. And according to the media guide, last year was only the 5th time we have averaged over 3K since moving to the Pit. So if we can average over 3K this year, it will be the first time since 1978 that we have averaged over 3K 2 years in a row. So actually it will be quite an accomplishment if we can get over 3K this year and I think we can do that if we keep winning. So slowly but surely the attendence is getting better and will only get better with winning. I just hope we can get close to 3K for the UTA and MTSU games.

In summary, Coach Jones we appreciate you and what you have done here and look forward to more 20 win seasons and increased attendence.

Good points about the crowd. I was kind of ticked when I saw we play Middle Tenn and UTA over the break, yet played some less meaningful games when the students were here. But then, I put it in perspective that we as fans do our part by showing up on a consistent basis, Bill Foy might schedule the Cameron's over the break. Just a a thought.

Gray Eagle,

What if we had not fired Blakely and also had hired Brashear? Or had a chrystal ball concerning Snyder? Blakely sure made for some fun times at the pit, and a UNT basketball game was an event.

schedule the Cameron's over the break. Just a a thought.

It is a worry to me that the schedule has two such important games back to back. UTA (recruiting bragging rights) and MTSU (Anoited Sun Belt Champ) are both very important games. Sometimes in scheduling you have to make the square peg fit in the round hole. At least they are both at home.

The main purpose of the out-of-conference schedule is to get the team ready for the conference schedule. NT has usually scheduled a D-2 between conference games during the break. Many of our fans don't like that. I would suggest they come to the UTA game. If there is a small crowd, look for NT to bring in a D-2 next season.

Edited by Buford_Julep

It is a worry to me that the schedule has two such important games back to back. UTA (recruiting bragging rights) and MTSU (Anoited Sun Belt Champ) are both very important games. Sometimes in scheduling you have to make the square peg fit in the round hole. At least they are both at home.

The main purpose of the out-of-conference schedule is to get the team ready for the conference schedule. NT has usually scheduled a D-2 between conference games during the break. Many of our fans don't like that. I would suggest they come to the UTA game. If there is a small crowd, look for NT to bring in a D-2 next season.

Buford, they only need to look back to 2006 and our game against UTA. Small crowd then.