Uta (12/29/08)

CMJ

They always play us very tough. We've had acouple of great games against them the last 2 years....and lost. After the setback against UNO, we really need this game. I don't want to play the Blue Raiders on a 2 game losing streak(especially now that they finally seem to be getting it together).

I hope we can get a decent crowd for this one. Wish the students weren't on break....we need a nasty homecourt advantage.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are pretty brave putting the word "Rival" in your heading. The last time I included SMU and "Rival" in a heading it caused mass chaos. Apparently, the rival Nazis of this board have a very stringent definition of the word rival. And few of our usual opponents meet this criteria. I fully anticipate your thread will deteriorate into this discussion. Come to think of it, this reply may unfortunately be the one to initiate it.

Edited by chrisfisher

You are pretty brave putting the word "Rival" in your heading. The last time I included SMU and "Rival" in a heading it caused mass chaos. Apparently, the rival Nazis of this board have a very stringent definition of the word rival. And few of our usual opponents meet this criteria. I fully anticipate your thread will deteriorate into this discussion. Come to think of it, this reply may unfortunately be the one to initiate it.

I'll start. A rival is one that causes a team or fan to take extra notice of and apply extra effort towards, a loss is worse and a win better than against other opponents. Rivals are usually geographical in nature and of the same athletic level, thus I think all Smut, TCU, and UTA to an extent, qualify.

In the Belt we don't have yearly basketball rival per se. I'd say for me, the closest thing to a school I want to beat every time out is UNO, because they seem to have a voodoo hex on us. :P It used to be NMSU, so I hope we can keep that series going with them. Love playing the Aggies. Please JJ, let's try and make this yearly!

UTA is probably the closest thing we have to a basketball rival(even with the 10 years or so we didn't play), provided the series continues.

Edited by CMJ

UTA is our basketball rival. We need to beat them this year. Two years ago they came to our house and stole one. Last year I think their crappy stage was too much for our guys. This year we win by 15!

Odd, one of their posters has them winning by 16. ;)

I expect the game will be somewhat closer than either of you think.