"I'll use his middle name because it means he's a Muslim terrorist (and we all know that all Muslims are terrorists, but I will enforce it in case they don't) and I'll use his initials because they also mean "body odor" because I think he stinks. I'm so clever."

Surely you can discuss politics in a somewhat educated manner as other are doing instead of resorting to snide wordplay, right?

So if I use his full name and use abreviations then I'm not discussing in an educated manner? That's classic! No, that's typical these days. And what is it about the guy's full name that pisses everyone off?

Unbelievable.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

"I'll use his middle name because it means he's a Muslim terrorist (and we all know that all Muslims are terrorists, but I will enforce it in case they don't) and I'll use his initials because they also mean "body odor" because I think he stinks. I'm so clever."

Surely you can discuss politics in a somewhat educated manner as other are doing instead of resorting to snide wordplay, right?

It's his name. It's not like he's inserting a made-up name to insult the man, like "George Herbert 'Hoover' Bush" was used in 1992. Let's not pretend that word play has never been used in the history of American politics.

And you can't convince me that if Romney won the nomination that the Democrats wouldn't use his Mormon faith against him.

I don't believe that is or is even close to anything Obama would propose or would succesfully implement. If he gets in (I think he will :S) he better slow play his tax hikes with how the economy is right now.

As a soon to be tax accountant, we're all cringing about the changes that are about to come. Cut the damn spending, don't increase the revenues!

Cut the damn spending, don't increase the revenues!

But it's tax cuts that actually increase revenue. Happens every single time. Despite Bush' "devastating tax cuts", out government generated more tax revenue than ever in history. Of course, our spending is higher then ever in history as well.

And what is it about the guy's full name that pisses everyone off?

It's not that you aren't discussing in an uneducated manner...but, it is needless to repeatedly refer to him as "Barack Hussein Obama" or "BHO" unless you are invoking the name Hussein in an attempt to link Barack Obama and Saddam Hussein in the minds of the simple-minded. If you're going to call him "Barack Hussein Obama", then why don't you call John McCain, "John Sidney McCain, III"?

Saddam Hussein tarnished the name "Hussein" a bit...but, would you rather Obama had changed it prior to entering the race and give the impression that he was hiding something? He can't just go back and force his father to give him a different name. A little info on the name Hussein (from Salon.com):

Excerpt from the Salon.com article entitled "Obama should be proud to be named Hussein"

Barack and Hussein are Semitic words. Americans have been named with Semitic names since the founding of the republic. Fourteen of our 43 presidents have had Semitic names (see below). And American English contains many Arabic-derived words that we use every day and without which we would be much impoverished. America is a world civilization with a world heritage, something Cunningham will never understand.

Barack is a Semitic word meaning "to bless" as a verb or "blessing" as a noun. In its Hebrew form, barak, it is found all through the Bible. It first occurs in Genesis 1:22 -- "And God blessed (ḇāreḵə) them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth."

Here is a list of how many times barak appears in each book of the Bible.

Now let us take the name "Hussein." It is from the Semitic word hasan, meaning "good" or "handsome." Husayn is the diminutive, affectionate form.

Barack Obama's middle name is in honor of his grandfather, Hussein, a secular resident of Nairobi, Kenya. Americans may think of Saddam Hussein when they hear the name, but that is like thinking of Stalin when you hear the name Joseph. There have been lots of Husseins in history, from the grandson of the prophet Mohammed, a hero who touched the historian Gibbon, to King Hussein of Jordan, one of America's most steadfast allies in the 20th century. The author of the beloved American novel "The Kite Runner" is Khaled Hosseini.

But in Obama's case, it is just a reference to his grandfather.

So if I use his full name and use abreviations then I'm not discussing in an educated manner? That's classic! No, that's typical these days. And what is it about the guy's full name that pisses everyone off?

Unbelievable.

Rick

Rick,

Actually the point is in your post you didn't even call him Barack - you decided to skip the first name altogether.

He can't just go back and force his father to give him a different name. A little info on the name Hussein (from Salon.com):

Excerpt from the Salon.com article entitled "Obama should be proud to be named Hussein"

That's funny because there is evidence that indicates somewhere along the way his name was changed to Barry Soetoro and then back to Barack Hussein Obama. When he moved from Jakarta to Hawaii, his school enrollment form shows his name as Barry Soetoro and his religion as Islam. There are a lot of questions about his childhood, some even questioning whether he was born in America, which would make him ineligible to be President. He also appears to have lied on his Illinois Bar application, where he indicated "None" under the section "Previously used names or aliases".

The article above is correct regarding Semitic names. I have no problem with Obama's name. I do have a problem with his murky past. The questions are certainly relevant, and would probably come up with any person who has served two terms in a state legislature, less than one term in national office, has changed his name more than once, and lied on his bar appliation.

That's funny because there is evidence that indicates somewhere along the way his name was changed to Barry Soetoro and then back to Barack Hussein Obama. When he moved from Jakarta to Hawaii, his school enrollment form shows his name as Barry Soetoro and his religion as Islam. There are a lot of questions about his childhood, some even questioning whether he was born in America, which would make him ineligible to be President. He also appears to have lied on his Illinois Bar application, where he indicated "None" under the section "Previously used names or aliases".

OK, so his mom had him go by his step-father's last name. So did mine.

Little known fact. My legal name is Justin Cook. The majority of people here know me by Justin Winters (hence JayDub). Winters is my stepdad's last name. The only reason I ever put down that I went by any alias is because I have been paid in the past with the name Justin Winters on the check...and there are employers who knew my situation and, though on tax records I was Justin Cook, they called me Justin Winters. As I have gotten older, I have accepted who my real father was and adopted his last name for good. However, I can see that situation

As far as the Islam thing, if your school required you to list your religion...what would your parents put on the application? Probably whatever the family practices, right?

What it comes down to is exactly what he says in speeches...he's a man with dark skin and a Muslim name that was given by his Muslim father who he had no real relationship with. If that scares you, then this country is worse off that I thought.

If that scares you, then this country is worse off that I thought.

That doesn't scare me at all. Promoting non-existent fuel options while neglecting what we can do now, socialized medicine, raising taxes, and negotiating with terrorist states is what scares me.

But I do think Barack Obama needs to answer these questions about his past. Evading the question doesn't instill me with much confidence.

Flyer, I'd like to know when was the last time you beat your wife?

Answering the question does not take away from the impression the question has left in every one's mind. "UNT Flyer beats his wife."

Obama is not going to change anyone's mind by answering the questions in the negative. Those people are closed minded individuals, who follow a party line. Thinking individuals will do the research and find the answers to the questions they have. So I ask again, UNT Flyer, when is the last time you beat your wife?

Edited by GreenBat

I'm not married.

:P

But you're asking the question wrong. It's "Have you stopped beating your wife?" Being a Yes/No question that is impossible to answer without looking like a jackass.

"Show us your birth certificate" isn't a Yes/No question.

Edited by UNTflyer

Anyone watch the Saddleback forum? An interesting way to see the views from both sides.

Rick

I didn't, however I have read about it. One of the best blogs I have seen on it is www.townhall.com

I love this question: "Define "rich" for tax purposes." "If you are making $150,000 or less as a family you are middle class, or poor" and if you are making more than $250,000....you are doing well." "Those making more than 250k will see a modest tax increase."

Obama also made a comment that abortions had not decreased while Conservative Bush was in office for the past 8 years. Either he lied, or he just doesn't know, but abortions have made drastic declines.

...And?

You're a fear-monger, Rick... a mongerer of fear. If you keep using "Hussein", then people might really be confused and think Barack is Saddam Hussein's half-brother or something. After all, Republicans have the IQ of a dead houseplant and the attention span of a slug, and poverty line Democrats aren't nearly as smart as that.

It's just not fair to use his middle name. Not fair at all!

After all, Republicans have the IQ of a dead houseplant and the attention span of a slug

Well, at least you admit it...

It's just not fair to use his middle name. Not fair at all!

Start calling McCain "John Sidney McCain, III"...and then it will make sense to call Obama "Barack Hussein Obama".