Ncaa & Extra Years Of Eligibility

UNTLifer

Based on what? He had only one injury. Most of the guys who get six years have had two major injuries and have had a redshirt year. Also, I don't see how OU fits into it all.

You are probably thinking of Jason White and all of the beatings he laid on Texas and still moping about it deep inside. In 1999, White redshirted with a back injury. In 2000, he was backup to Josh Heupel. In 2001, he blew out a knee. In 2002, he blew out the other knee. So, in his first four years, he only had one healthy season. After the 2003 season, he appealed for a sixth season based on the well-documented injuries.

Mauk, took a redshirt at Wake Forest in 2003. In 2004, he played in 10 games for WFU. In 2005, he played in seven games for WFU. In 2006, he was injured in game one for WFU. So, in his first four years, he had two full, healthy season.

In 2007, he took advantage of the new NCAA transfer rules that allowed immediate transfer for players wanting to go to grad school at another school. He chose Cincinnati. He played the full year, no injury.

He's already danced around the NCAA three times on this and been denied. He's now coming back five years after he redshirted and saying he was hurt in 2003, but hasn't provided the NCAA with medical evidence that he was injured then.

So, as you can see - even through the painful memories of OU being undefeated against Texas with White playing QB - his situation was altogether different than Mauk's.

Mauk then went to the NCAA’s reinstatement committee, which ruled last week there wasn’t enough medical documentation to support his claim that he missed his freshman year because of injury.

That is a pretty serious issue in that it could easily be abused.

Let's just say that we have a player that has already redshirted a year and has a nagging injury from spring practice or had offseason surgery. Instead of waiting until the player is fully healthy to be added to the depth chart in November, why not let him play a little in the first game and claim that he reinjured himself. He could sit the remainder of the year but would have 4 full seasons remaining if he received that medical redshirt.

North Texas has a couple of players right now that would benefit from that move and get a 6th year.

Based on what? He had only one injury. Most of the guys who get six years have had two major injuries and have had a redshirt year. Also, I don't see how OU fits into it all.

You are probably thinking of Jason White and all of the beatings he laid on Texas and still moping about it deep inside. In 1999, White redshirted with a back injury. In 2000, he was backup to Josh Heupel. In 2001, he blew out a knee. In 2002, he blew out the other knee. So, in his first four years, he only had one healthy season. After the 2003 season, he appealed for a sixth season based on the well-documented injuries.

Mauk, took a redshirt at Wake Forest in 2003. In 2004, he played in 10 games for WFU. In 2005, he played in seven games for WFU. In 2006, he was injured in game one for WFU. So, in his first four years, he had two full, healthy season.

In 2007, he took advantage of the new NCAA transfer rules that allowed immediate transfer for players wanting to go to grad school at another school. He chose Cincinnati. He played the full year, no injury.

He's already danced around the NCAA three times on this and been denied. He's now coming back five years after he redshirted and saying he was hurt in 2003, but hasn't provided the NCAA with medical evidence that he was injured then.

So, as you can see - even through the painful memories of OU being undefeated against Texas with White playing QB - his situation was altogether different than Mauk's.

I know you love the Sooners, but I could care less about UT. My point is that it appears that teams from the "Big 6" conferences get preferential treatment from the NCAA in whether it is in regards to granting redshirts, APR discipline or recruiting/player violations.

Yep, Jason White played at OU for a decade and Dvoracek (sp?) got an extra year for being angry and drunk, yet our own Zach Muzzy couldn't get one extra year for blowing out a knee. It's just typical of the NCAA.

He was referencing the time that Dusty Dvoracek [sp?] claimed his getting drunk and throwing a friend through a wall as a medical condition...and got an extra year of eligibility. That was the same year that Zac Muzzy was turned down.

He was referencing the time that Dusty Dvoracek [sp?] claimed his getting drunk and throwing a friend through a wall as a medical condition...and got an extra year of eligibility. That was the same year that Zac Muzzy was turned down.

Correct, I could not believe when the NCAA ruled in his favor. Where does the line get drawn? If he was addicted to crack would that work too?

Correct, I could not believe when the NCAA ruled in his favor. Where does the line get drawn? If he was addicted to crack would that work too?

Yes,

If he played for USC, Notre Dame, UT or some other mighty BCS program.

Guest GrayEagleOne

No one questions that Jason White had two knee injuries. However, he bleew his ACL in 2001 in the EIGHTH game of the season against Nebraska.

Remember a few years back when Zach Muzzy suffered a season-ending injury in the fourth game and was denied a medical redshirt because it was too deep into the season? At hat point in the season he had only returned a few kickoffs.

That's what we mean about favoritism, TFLF.

Edited by GrayEagleOne

Or, there may something in play that we don't want to admit here because it would mean dissing the athletic department.

If you google "sixth year" eligibility NCAA, you can be able to glean that most of the acceptance or rejections are a matter of paperwork. Now, could it be that our athletic department people - the same ones who lost us five scholarships on the APR or whatever it is, have been promising us a new stadium forever, etc. - can't seem to get the right information to the NCAA when it comes to requesting such things as extra years of eligibility.

Once again, look at the big picture. Is our athletic department the model of efficiency and production? What do we get for the money paid to them? Or, what have we gotten? Not just with the current people, but with those is the past as well.

Maybe I'm being too simplistic, but an athletic department's value should be judged upon much more than, "well they're nice people" or "they are loyal and wear green" or "they talk up the program in public." I could care less what the AD does or says in that regard. In fact, if we had a new stadium and weren't losing scholarships, I'd be just fine with the AD showing up at UNT events in MUTS gear.

The point is, there is a way things are done, across the board, in a successful athletic department. And, I submit, that there is more than a possibility that the NCAA rejecting requests has much to do with whether an athletic department know what to submit and how to do it. Cincinnati appearently doesn't, because the kid has been rejected three different times. I'm sure the Bearcat AD wears Bearcat gear and talk up U-Cincy at local functions. But, does he know how to get the ducks in a row when needed. The answer appears to be, no.