Denton: The New Austin?

I am not sure about everybody in the City of Denton wearing green on gamedays but the comments made about Denton being the next Austin is very true. I am not sure how close it will get like Austin because Austin is still the state capitol and so much of the commerce and traffic is just from that. However in general, Denton has a lot of similarities to what Austin used to be say 30 years ago. I say thats a nice comment and some great pub for the city which in turn will benefit UNT and TWU.

You hit the nail on the head. Bottom line....good publicity. The more attractive Denton becomes in general (socially and culturally) the more North Texas and TWU will benefit. Young people flock to places perceived to have some allure.

I liked the article, but I also liked We Shot JR's take

Mr. Beehner:

I am writing to inform you that I have approved your article covering the "indie" music scene in Denton, TX for publication in the Saturday print edition of the Times. I wanted to congratulate you on a well written piece, as well as to point out several instances in which your talent for framing a story really stands out in the article.

In the very first sentence, you mention both "Piggly Wiggly,"(apparently some kind of quaint regional food market originating in Texas) and "dusty pawnshops," which is highly important due to the fact that every story printed about Texas in an elistist coastal newspaper must include at least one reference to "dust," "dust devils," "dusty pawnshops" or "steers and queers." You also round out the first paragraph quite well with your reference to "everyone in town" wearing their Mean Green shirts on game day. After all, this is fucking Texas, and those shit kicking Republican traditionalists "love them some goddamn football" down there (or however the hell they say it).

Finally, your summary of the Denton sound as "a lo-fi melange of southern twang and experimental indie rock that suggests Wilco and Radiohead" was spot on. After all, southern twang is what people expect from Texas, and I'll be goddamned if we're not gonna give it to em (or however they say it down there). And let us not forget your reference to Wilco (that really cool band we used to write about six or seven years ago that someone played for us at that dinner party on 85th St., right?), as well as Radiohead (that really cool band we used to write about when they did that one amazing thing a couple months ago and then we heard the Mp3 like two weeks ago at that dinner party on 76th St, right?). Both were very hip and accurate references that completely describe the sound of almost every band in Denton.

Thanks again for your hard work. Stories on Texas don't write themselves, and you've done a fantastic job exposing the real grit of their funny little country infested local music scene.

PS-- The cowboy hat pic is GREAT!!!

(PPS-- I actually didn't think the article was all THAT bad, and I'm glad it was written. I'm just sick of seeing that same shit every time I read an article about Texas music.--SR)

I hope you had an opportunity to see this in print: a two page above the fold article is nothing but good news for our school. I don't see similar articles about Middle Tennessee, Texas Tech, etc, etc.

This is not the first time the "Times" has written about Fry Street and the music scene in Denton. They did a similar article, but not as large or comprehensive, at least 15 years ago.

One of the great things about UNT is its music school and the unique Denton atmosphere. It was there in the 70's and it looks to be even greater now.

About this time of year the "Fry Street Fair" should be rocking Denton. But alas it has gone by the wayside. The article referenced something called "North by 35". I've never heard of it. Is anyone familiar with this festival?

If I am not mistaken, NX35 is an event that occurs at SXSW. A bunch of denton bands take over a venue in Austin and play...

Say what you want about Fry St Fair, but damn, Little D is not the same without it!!!

Edited by Peacock

I can't believe any of you would try and piss on this article...this is nothing but amazing national publicity for our school...a school that very few outside a 200 mile radius of DFW have never heard of...living in the Northeast I've run across about 1 in 100 who have some knowledge of UNT when I tell them where I went to school and thats mostly for the music program.

Denton turning into the next Austin...especially the Austin of 10-15 years ago would be the absolute best thing that could happen to our town...and I love that the Industrial Street area is taking up the slack following the city's raping of Fry Street. I am afraid that the town will find a way to screw this up...much like the city government of Austin is trying...but for now those in the area need to take advantage of the burgeoning music and cultural scene...and I'll look with even more anticipation to my future visits.

And if you are looking for a great Denton band...Midlake...their 2006 release The Trials of Van Occupanther was considered a Top 10 release of the year by Paste Magazine and garnered lots of accolades from many Indie music publications and music blogs

Anyone who hasn't seen The Andrew Tinker Band is seriously missing out. Some very good artists in that band.