Leodis Mckelvin

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ao3V...o&type=lgns

Seems like McKelvin is getting no love since he played in the Sun Belt. My take, talent is talent regardless of where they played. DeMarcus Ware anyone?

I do agree but for every Demarcus Ware, there are a ton more spares coming out of the belt than not. Granted many out there will just look at the name Troy and think they have nothing but The Troy teams from the last couple of years have been different and I truly do believe that McKelvin is a good talent. How good will he be in the NFL? Its anybodys guess.

Guest JohnDenver

I do agree but for every Demarcus Ware, there are a ton more spares coming out of the belt than not. Granted many out there will just look at the name Troy and think they have nothing but The Troy teams from the last couple of years have been different and I truly do believe that McKelvin is a good talent. How good will he be in the NFL? Its anybodys guess.

If the caliber is "can be an NFL star", then there are ton more spares coming out of the Big 12 [insert any BCS conference] than not. Which school did Bobby Carpenter come from? I would have taken 5 or so SBC LBs over that tool..

Anyhow, the point is, the draft is a popularity contest -- not always a judge of talent. There are a lot more draft busts than successes.

Where a player spends his collegiate years doesn't always equate to how well he will do in the NFL. Case in point:

Walter Payton: Jackson State

Larry Allen: Sonoma State

Eric Williams: Central State

Jerry Rice: Mississippi Valley State

Brett Favre: Southern Miss

LaDanian Tomlinson: TCU

Drew Pearson: Tulsa

Bob Hayes: Didn't play college football, did he?

Ed "Too Tall" Jones: Tennessee State

Terrell Owens: Tennessee Chattanooga

Antonio Gates: Kent State

Ben Rothlisberger: Miami, OH

Tono Romo: Eastern Illinois

Jeff Garcia: San Jose St.

Brian Westbrook: Villanova

Chris Cooley: Utah State

Demarcus Ware and Osi Umenyiora: Troy

Edited by UNTLifer

Where a player spends his collegiate years doesn't always equate to how well he will do in the NFL. Case in point:

Walter Payton: Jackson State

Larry Allen: Sonoma State

Eric Williams: Elizabeth City State (or somesuch)

Jerry Rice: Mississippi Valley State

Brett Favre: Southern Miss

LaDanian Tomlinson: TCU

Drew Pearson: Tulsa

Bob Hayes: Didn't play college football, did he?

Ed "Too Tall" Jones: Tennessee State

Terrell Owens: Tennessee Chattanooga

Antonio Gates: Kent State

Ben Rothlisberger: Miami, OH

Tono Romo: Eastern Washington

Jeff Garcia: San Jose St.

Brian Westbrook: Villanova

Chris Cooley: Utah State

Demarcus Ware and Osi Umenyiora: Troy

Good list, buddy. But, the guy who went to Elizabeth City was Jethro Pugh. Eric Williams went to Central State (in Ohio)....I think.

If the caliber is "can be an NFL star", then there are ton more spares coming out of the Big 12 [insert any BCS conference] than not. Which school did Bobby Carpenter come from? I would have taken 5 or so SBC LBs over that tool..

Anyhow, the point is, the draft is a popularity contest -- not always a judge of talent. There are a lot more draft busts than successes.

-- I do agree that there are a lot of busts maybe more than successful ones. I disagree that it is popularity contest.... these teams want to win and go for who they think will do well (and keep their jobs intact) . They do sometimes buy in the media hype about how good a players is. Some of the teams are poor judges of talent and often just look at stats such as speed, size, and performance in college relative to their competition. . Great in college may not be enough when facing faster, smarter, and larger players. That may work some for some positions but not for others. Marino was trashing that lately especially for the QB position which is more about leadership and making good decisions. Some look good on paper but determination and work ethic often puts them far ahead of others that get by on just natural ability but don't try near as hard or can be out-smarted.. that is largely why so many draft failures occur...

---Only three #1 picks since 1978 (30 years) have made the NFL Hall of Fame... Earl Campbell, John Elway, and Troy Aikman. Peyton Manning who is still active likely will. Also two #2 picks have been HOF players: Laurence Taylor, and Eric Dickerson. Dorsett and Randy White were #2's and made it from 1977 and 1975.

If you can play, you can play. That kind of speed looks good at any level. Ask any "BCS" school Troy played and they will tell you the same.