Vizza Injured

MeanGreen61

Quick scrimmage notes

I will have more later, but here are a few quick hits on UNT's scrimmage.

Giovanni Vizza went down after three series. He was hit by defensive lineman Joseph Miller and bit his tongue. He was still spitting blood at the end of the scrimmage.

Daniel Meager was held out with a shoulder injury, leaving the official player of the Mean Green Blog Nathan Tune to take most of the snaps. Matt Phillips also played.

UNT's first-team offense scored on each of its first two possessions before Vizza went down.

I was there for the first hour of the scrimmage. Giovanni walked off the field on his own. At the time, we had no idea how he was hurt. Now seeing that he bit his tongue.....makes me think it's pretty minor. May be painful....but shouldn't keep him out of practice...I wouldn't think. But, that's just speculation.

Other notes:

1) Roderick Johnson made a great catch on a TD pass from Gio.

2) Cam and Micah both looked good at RB. Both had some nice gains on short passes.

3) The defense is really coming together. I think Joseph Miller has all-conference potential this year.

4) Knott had enough leg, but missed a 52 yd. field goal. Moreland seems to be kicking a lot of the PATs.

5) Freshman DB, Brendan Lamb....had a huge hit on #22. It was the kind of hit that had the whole defense "whooping and hollering."

6) Answering Rokemi's question......while I was there, Nathan looked pretty good. After Gio went out, it seemed that Nathan got most of the reps.

7) DB....#30.....had a nice INT in the end zone.

8) Matt Phillips really threaded the needle on a nice TD pass early in the scrimmage.

9) With Roderick Johnson, B J Lewis, and Sam Roberson.....we have more quality TALL receivers than I can ever remember us having.

Just some thoughts....of what I saw while I was there.

I was there for the first hour of the scrimmage. Giovanni walked off the field on his own. At the time, we had no idea how he was hurt. Now seeing that he bit his tongue.....makes me think it's pretty minor. May be painful....but shouldn't keep him out of practice...I wouldn't think. But, that's just speculation.

Needing to leave to get the bleeding under control is one thing but if he misses a single snap after today for this he should cut.

Our first team defense really looks good. Craig Robertson is looking like something special along with Joseph Miller.

They were running a lot of mixed coverages, linebackers on the line then 1 or 2 would Blitz and 1 or 2 would fall back

into coverage. They were getting pressure on our first team offense. It was nice to see (pressure)! compared to last years defense

or "efense"

I really like Coach DeLoach. I arrived at 3:50 and he was in the midst of being extremely pissed off at some player. He was yelling at the top

of his lungs for what seemed like two minutes. He really let him have it. I'm sure what ever that player did wrong, it is highly

unlikely he will repeat that mistake ever again.

Vizza incident: I was looking down field where he threw the ball then over to Vizza and saw him laying on the field. The QB

should be hands off or at the most a touch. We can't be hitting our QB, he took enough hits last year. What a trooper!

I like what I see, can't wait for the Green & White game.

Today's approx. attendance: 50-60

Vizza was kicking ass on two great td throws and was 6 out of 7 before Miller clocked him while was running full speed on a roll out. Amazing hit by Miller.

When Vizza went out, the offense Stopped with the first team. Rod caught a fantastic ball for a score that was a rifle up the seam from Gio.

I counted at least 75 folks in the stands plus some guests on the field.

It looked like there was a recruit there? Young kid with someone that looked like it could have been his father and maybe his grandfather. One of those could have been a high school coach. They were talking to one of the coaches and then later RV spoke with them.

I couldn't believe they were allowing shots on the QB. The play where Vizza got injured the ref threw his flag for helmet to helmet. Miller started to hear it from Deloach, and he argued that he used his shoulder. Either way, maybe they should use red jerseys for the QB's?

I couldn't believe they were allowing shots on the QB. The play where Vizza got injured the ref threw his flag for helmet to helmet. Miller started to hear it from Deloach, and he argued that he used his shoulder. Either way, maybe they should use red jerseys for the QB's?

I didn't see the hit on Vizza but did hear Deloach getting on the player. Vizza seemed to get up after a minute and walk ok so I was glad to see that, wasn't sure what the injury was. He is tough. Noticed towards the last part of the scrimmage that Casey Fitzgerald had what looked like his ankle iced on the pressbox side trainer's table. I hate injuries in practice but it's part of the game and the players need to practice full speed with contact. Tune got a ton of reps today with Vizza out, didn't seem as accurate as last week but was pressured a lot. The D is playing much better this spring.

I really like Coach DeLoach. I arrived at 3:50 and he was in the midst of being extremely pissed off at some player. He was yelling at the top

of his lungs for what seemed like two minutes. He really let him have it. I'm sure what ever that player did wrong, it is highly

unlikely he will repeat that mistake ever again.

The target of DeLoach's lengthy tirade was DB Germaine Dawson.