Lady's Lose To Lowly Ull

GrandGreen

And we played in what amounts to a Jr High gym according to Vito. Classy Cajuns.

I'd love to see us get out of EK Long Gym; but when you only have a couple hundred fans watching, what's the motivation! Our ladies playing in the Cajundome is not ideal. And its not a Jr High gym....much closer to HS (1A or 2A). :rolleyes:

Shof

We need new life with our women's basketball. Vance Hughes of Kennedale would be my choice. He's built an incredible team out of nowhere at Kennedale with raw discipline and defense. The guy is a lot of fun to watch coach on the sidelines. They play Canyon tomorrow morning for the state 3A champoinship. His daughter Destiny will attend LSU next year. However, his next oldest daughter, a 7th grader, may be even better. Bring Hughes in and his family will follow.

http://www.star-telegram.com/highschools//story/503002.html

Senior's 27 carries Lady Kats into title game

By RYAN KILLIANSpecial to the Star-Telegram

AUSTIN -- With 3:40 remaining in the game, Kennedale senior Destini Hughes called her teammates to the middle of the floor.

The Lady Kats held a one-point advantage over unbeaten Corpus Christi West Oso in the 3A basketball state semifinal Thursday afternoon, and Hughes wanted one last chance to instill confidence.

Fellow senior Samantha Mahnesmith suggested they say a quick prayer.

The answer came soon after the Lady Kats (30-4) had fallen behind by one. Sophomore Morgan Spearman hit a short jumper with 51 seconds left, and Kennedale locked down on defense and held on to win 60-59.

"We figured it was going to come down to the last minute," coach Vance Hughes said. "We were just fortunate to win it."

After a Lady Bears' timeout with 10 seconds left, Kennedale's coach countered by putting his daughter, Destini, on West Oso senior Novella Thomas, who had matched Hughes' 27 points.

Thomas managed to get off a baseline jumper with two seconds left, but the shot hit the side of the backboard and Mahnesmith rebounded.

The Lady Kats play Canyon (31-3), which beat Navasota 50-42, at 10 a.m. Saturday for the championship.

Spearman gave the Lady Kats the lead twice in the final 3:01. The first field goal came off an assist from Hughes.

"I just happened to be open, and I made all the shots," Spearman said.

Hughes didn't miss many herself.

The LSU-bound guard made 13 of 20 shots, including several acrobatic layups. Only early foul trouble -- she drew her third early in the second quarter -- slowed her. She had a scoreless third quarter after throttling back to avoid the referees' whistles.

"I'm kind of used to playing with fouls early, because I've done that all year," Hughes said.

Despite the risk, she missed only one minute of action.

"She led her team well," West Oso's Thomas said.

The game matched a pair of state tournament neophytes, but they looked like a couple of powerhouses. West Oso boasted its perfect record, and Kennedale's four losses came against 5A opponents.

The Lady Bears, who won 34 times, gave up the most points they have all season.

Kennedale couldn't match West Oso inside and was outrebounded 48-32, but made up for it with defense. Hughes accounted for seven of the Lady Kats' 19 steals, and Mahnesmith had five. They also held a 9-0 edge in blocked shots. Forward Jessica Chambers blocked four.

KENNEDALE 60, CORPUS CHRISTI WEST OSO

Canyon wins it's 14 state women's basketball championship beating Kennedale this morning. The Hampton sisters were too tough for the LadyKats, building an early 17 point lead. Destiny Hughes, who finished with 19 points brought Kennedale back to within 7 but the LadyKats couldn't take advantage of several forced turnovers.

Rick