Other Sunbelt Games Today

CMJ

ULM knocks off the Pioneers 53-48.

I have no clue how all the tiebreakers work, but because FAU lost tonight we're no worse than 8th right now. We still have a shot to win the West and move all the way to #2. But we'd probably have to win them all.

Edited by CMJ

The Sunbelt Website lists the West as

Louisiana-Lafayette 8-6 12-13

New Orleans 7-7 17-9

UALR 7-7 15-10

Denver 7-7 11-14

North Texas 7-7 16-9

ULM 4-10 10-16

Arkansas State 4-11 9-17

So I guess we lose the tiebreaker to Denver. ULL and UNO play each other on Wednesday during our contest with ULM. Big time scoreboard watching time. A loss by ULL would be more beneficial, but since we play them both the following week I suppose it doesn't matter much. UALR and ASU have their rivalry game on Thursday. Denver hosts MTSU.

The Sunbelt Website lists the West as

Louisiana-Lafayette 8-6 12-13

New Orleans 7-7 17-9

UALR 7-7 15-10

Denver 7-7 11-14

North Texas 7-7 16-9

ULM 4-10 10-16

Arkansas State 4-11 9-17

So I guess we lose the tiebreaker to Denver. ULL and UNO play each other on Wednesday during our contest with ULM. Big time scoreboard watching time. A loss by ULL would be more beneficial, but since we play them both the following week I suppose it doesn't matter much. UALR and ASU have their rivalry game on Thursday. Denver hosts MTSU.

Will you arrange the standings how I like it?

I have a feeling that Denver will soon be a non-factor in the West race... they still have to play UNO, ULAR, MTSU, and ULL... what a schedule. I hope that ULL beats UNO. To tell the truth, I'd just rather not have to play UNO again or in the tourny... they seem to be our achilles heel for some reason...who knows, maybe this will be the year we beat them....

Edited by chrisfisher

I have a feeling that Denver will soon be a non-factor in the West race... they still have to play UNO, ULAR, MTSU, and ULL... what a schedule. I hope that ULL beats UNO. To tell the truth, I'd just rather not have to play UNO again or in the tourny... they seem to be our achilles heel for some reason...who knows, maybe this will be the year we beat them....

Denver's odds do seem long at this point. However they have 2 of those at home, and they beat almost everyone up there with that home "air advantage".

As far as the ULL/UNO game goes, I'm not sure which team losing benefits us more HOWEVER ULL has the best schedule with 3 of 4 at home, so they're more likely to get on a roll.

West Conference Race - remaining games for teams still in the hunt

Mean Green

ULM, Ark State, ULL, UNO

ULAR

ASU, ULL, Denver, ULM

ULL

UNO, UALR, UNT, Denver

UNO

ULL, Denver, USA, UNT

Denver

MTSU, UNO, UALR, ULL

Bolded = home game. ULL looks to have the advantage with 3/4 home games. Denver appears to have the toughest schedule with 3 games against the best in the West and 1 game against a strong MTSU. UNO's schedule is no cup cake either with games against the top West teams plus South Alabama. Mean Green's biggest problem is that 3/4 games are on the road - they are all winnable given our talent level, but it is really a question of which road team will show up...Mean Green needs to learn how to win consistently on the road or will quickly fall behind in this race...

My guess is that the next tie break after head to head would be division record...Denver is 5-3 against the West, UNO is 5-3, Little Rock is 4-3, ULL is 5-3 and UNT is 4-3...so Denver has a half game up on us after the season split.

We don't have the easiest road...but we certainly don't have the hardest...and if we can maintain the level of play we displayed against Denver and Troy I don't think any of these West teams can beat us...at the Pit or on the road.

Collin needs to be the primary scoring option...his season box score really is unbelievable...25 points followed 5...JJ needs to ensure Collin is getting 10-15 shots per game.

In 25 minutes last night Ben put up 10 points, 8 boards 6 assists and 3 steals.

Quincy was a board shy of a double double for the second straight night...Q and Ben are the real senior leaders of this team and they both really stepped their game up this weekend.

As much as I loved Dez's play and wish he had more minutes...his injury may be a blessing in disguise. Adam and TT both had great weekends and I like the bigger backcourt look they give us.

More Kedrick! He struggled offensivly, but 9 boards, 5 offensive and a block...I think he has to get minutes at the 4 ahead of Stew...he just seems to provide more.

My guess is that the next tie break after head to head would be division record...Denver is 5-3 against the West, UNO is 5-3, Little Rock is 4-3, ULL is 5-3 and UNT is 4-3...so Denver has a half game up on us after the season split.

We don't have the easiest road...but we certainly don't have the hardest...and if we can maintain the level of play we displayed against Denver and Troy I don't think any of these West teams can beat us...at the Pit or on the road.

Collin needs to be the primary scoring option...his season box score really is unbelievable...25 points followed 5...JJ needs to ensure Collin is getting 10-15 shots per game.

In 25 minutes last night Ben put up 10 points, 8 boards 6 assists and 3 steals.

Quincy was a board shy of a double double for the second straight night...Q and Ben are the real senior leaders of this team and they both really stepped their game up this weekend.

As much as I loved Dez's play and wish he had more minutes...his injury may be a blessing in disguise. Adam and TT both had great weekends and I like the bigger backcourt look they give us.

More Kedrick! He struggled offensivly, but 9 boards, 5 offensive and a block...I think he has to get minutes at the 4 ahead of Stew...he just seems to provide more.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing about Dez, though I miss him. We never had a stable guard rotation and I think that hurt us... it was a rotation based on more "what have you done for me lately." I think shooters need time to meld into their roles and the game and it is tough starting 1 game, sitting the next, play 35 minutes 1 game and 10 min the next, etc. I've been a big Kedrick fan too. He may have struggled last night offensively, but when he does shoot, he shoots at a high percentage (50%-60%). Where he REALLY struggles is the free throw line (20-30%). We have a legitimate shot at the West title and first game bye... but we'll have to do it on the road... something I'll have to see to believe....

Edited by chrisfisher

If season ended today.

Opening round games

#13 Troy (3-12) at #4 Middle Tennessee (9-6)

#12 Arkansas St (4-11) at #5 New Orleans (7-7)

#11 UL-Monroe (4-10) at #6 Denver (7-7)

#10 Florida Int'l (5-9) at #7 Ark-Little Rock (7-7)

#9 Florida Atlantic (6-8) at #8 North Texas (7-7)

Quarterfinals

#1 Western KY (13-1) vs UNT/FAU winner

MT/Troy winner vs UNO/ASU winner

#2 UL-Lafayette (8-6) vs UALR/FIU winner

#3 South AL (13-2) vs DU/ULM winner

Edited by CMJ

If season ended today.

Opening round games

#13 Troy (3-12) at #4 Middle Tennessee (9-6)

#12 Arkansas St (4-11) at #5 New Orleans (7-7)

#11 UL-Monroe (4-10) at #6 Denver (7-7)

#10 Florida Int'l (5-9) at #7 Ark-Little Rock (7-7)

#9 Florida Atlantic (6-8) at #8 North Texas (7-7)

Quarterfinals

#1 Western KY (13-1) vs UNT/FAU winner

MT/Troy winner vs UNO/ASU winner

#2 UL-Lafayette (8-6) vs UALR/FIU winner

#3 South AL (13-2) vs DU/ULM winner

Despite the fact that we just shamed them... I wouldn't want to be the team that has to play Troy in the tournament. The 3 point shooting scares me. If they get hot in a game, they could outshoot almost anyone.

West Conference Race - remaining games for teams still in the hunt

Mean Green

ULM, Ark State, ULL, UNO

ULAR

ASU, ULL, Denver, ULM

ULL

UNO, UALR, UNT, Denver

UNO

ULL, Denver, USA, UNT

Denver

MTSU, UNO, UALR, ULL

Bolded = home game. ULL looks to have the advantage with 3/4 home games. Denver appears to have the toughest schedule with 3 games against the best in the West and 1 game against a strong MTSU. UNO's schedule is no cup cake either with games against the top West teams plus South Alabama. Mean Green's biggest problem is that 3/4 games are on the road - they are all winnable given our talent level, but it is really a question of which road team will show up...Mean Green needs to learn how to win consistently on the road or will quickly fall behind in this race...

A key match up is tomorrow: UNO vs ULL. I'm not sure who to root for. Looking ahead in their schedules, I can think of various scenarios where a loss by either team is beneficial. I guess I want UNO to lose b/c I think we can take care of business with ULL and can't seem to beat UNO... on the other hand, ULAR is a game up on us and UNO still needs to play USA on the road and us at home....plenty of other opportunities for UNO to lose... so, Go UNO (versus ULL)! Of course, none of this matters if we don't win on Wednesday.

Edited by chrisfisher

I agree. Is that what happened our first time around with Troy?

No that is not what happened in the first Troy game. NT shot 13-28 3 pointers for 46.8% to Troy's 12-39, 30.8%. Troy beat NT because IMO NT thought that they didn't have to give a lot of effort to beat Troy. Troy won because they out hustled NT, out rebounding NT, had more steals and less turnovers.

Hard to believe seeing Troy in person. I think if you are afraid of playing Troy then you must be horrified to play almost anyone else in the Belt. Yes, they could get hot at the 3 pointers and put up a good game, but what team couldn't do the same thing.

On a side note, NT still can't handle the press and they have been seeing it all year.