Unt Athletics - Football

GreenAlums

As much as I really like to see Dodge in the spotlight, shouldn't the feature article be a little more recent than the 4th of January?? If a recruit or interested donor were to see the same article for that long, I'm afraid interest would be lost....quickly. Looks like not much is going on. We all know it is [going on]. Something, almost anything new would be better.

Guest 97and03

I'll say I do agree with you but unfortunately there hasn't been anything new to write about the past couple weeks. We still haven't filled the coaching openings and they can't discuss recruiting until after signing day.

Cant they have a story about the JUCO transfers that have already signed and are on campus?

Whatever happens and whatever we can and can't talk about is OK. There has got to be something interesting we can do with the site. Man, we could or should be cucified for letting the football stories get that old at a time like this. I don't care what the bigger plan may be. I think it is inexcusable! Get the fever going now!!

As much as I really like to see Dodge in the spotlight, shouldn't the feature article be a little more recent than the 4th of January?? If a recruit or interested donor were to see the same article for that long, I'm afraid interest would be lost....quickly. Looks like not much is going on. We all know it is [going on]. Something, almost anything new would be better.

How about an article promoting the banquet, or the JUCO signee's, or the off-season workouts, or a look ahead at the upcoming season, or a profile on Awasome playing for the Giants, or.....

Guest 97and03

How about an article promoting the banquet, or the JUCO signee's, or the off-season workouts, or a look ahead at the upcoming season, or a profile on Awasome playing for the Giants, or.....

I know we don't have a ton of players in the NFL, but many schools have a weekly report on their former players in the league.

I know we don't have a ton of players in the NFL, but many schools have a weekly report on their former players in the league.

That would actually mean someone in the athletic department was doing their job, perish the thought.

The off-season boredom is in full effect......

Edited by chrisfisher

TD doesn't want to run off Vizza, Meager or Tune in the spring. Can you say backups?

The reason R. Dodge stayed at SLC was that his shoulder needed time to rehabiltate following surgery ,had he been enrolled at UNT there was nothing he could do ( football wise ) that he could not do at SLC.

TD doesn't want to run off Vizza, Meager or Tune in the spring. Can you say backups?

It doesn't seem that you can go too long without making a post that bashes one or more of our QBs. And I see you bashing two that you were singing the praises of at different points last season. Vizza should rightfully expect to be the starter next season, and if at some point Riley beats him out, so be it.

Not bashing anyone.

Just being realistic. If Riley is as good as everyone says, other than not wanting to have his son be physically beaten up, why would Riley want to sit the pine at North Texas?

I could see why he would sit the pine at UT or Missouri or Kansas for a season or two but not at North Texas. If Vizza could play as a true freshman, then why wouldn't TD expect the same for Riley?

It just seems logical to me. Riley is the much more heralded QB, he knows Dodge's system better than anyone on our team, and so forth.

Worst case scenario is Riley takes over after the Non conference beat down.

Edited by Dodge2007

I could see why he would sit the pine at UT or Missouri or Kansas for a season or two but not at North Texas. If Vizza could play as a true freshman, then why wouldn't TD expect the same for Riley?

It's really never a case of rather or not a player can start as a freshman it's to they have to start as a freshman. No coach wants to start a freshman not the number 1 QB in the nation or their son. It's just not the best policy unless you have no other choice. But like last year Dodge realized Meagers experience wasn't going to increase our chance of winning enough to squander an opportunity to get Vizza a lot of priceless experience. Very few players especially QB's start for four years it's part of the learning curve. Riley is willing to sit because he knows it's best for him in the long term and I'm sure he doesn't expect to sit for 4 year he thinks he'll take the job away from Vizza. Rather or not this happens I think the competition at QB will be great for both of them and I expect whoever doesn't win out to find other ways to help out the team.

Not bashing anyone.

Just being realistic. If Riley is as good as everyone says, other than not wanting to have his son be physically beaten up, why would Riley want to sit the pine at North Texas?

It just seems logical to me. Riley is the much more heralded QB, he knows Dodge's system better than anyone on our team, and so forth.

Worst case scenario is Riley takes over after the Non conference beat down.

:blink::blink::blink:

Vizza ran roughly the same offense in HS that he is running now. Vizza became QB because he has a greater upside than the other QB's on the team and he could take advantage of the experience gained during basically a transitional/wasted year at NT. Riley doesn't have to be thrown into that situation, because Vizza has the experience of running this offense and came from a passing offense in HS.

Meager came from a passing system in HS, but was injured his senior year, was ruined by two years of learning at the foot of Ramon Flanigan and DD's run based offense.

Tune walked on from a running offense in high school and earned a scholarship from DD.

Matt Phillips doesn't have the mobility to run this offense.

Vizza was recruited for this offense because he ran it in HS so successfully that he won a state championship and was the 4A POY.

Riley will redshirt this year due to his shoulder surgery, and will need the next year to shake the rust off. He'll sit for a minimum of two years unless he plays WR.