Bill Mercer

EagleD

Legendary voice of the Mean Green, Bill Mercer, is slated to be on the radio (1300 "The Zone") with Craig Way, current voice of the Texas Longhorns. Craig is a NT alum and calls Mercer his mentor. I'd provide a link, but every time I try to listen on-line I hear Mearl Haggard. He should be on sometime after 3pm on Friday. I hope to hear him, but I have errands to run.

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!

Legendary voice of the Mean Green, Bill Mercer, is slated to be on the radio (1300 "The Zone") with Craig Way, current voice of the Texas Longhorns. Craig is a NT alum and calls Mercer his mentor. I'd provide a link, but every time I try to listen on-line I hear Mearl Haggard. He should be on sometime after 3pm on Friday. I hope to hear him, but I have errands to run.

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!

I listened for as long as I could stomach UT/Austin talk. Love Bill but I didn't hear him either. If anyone can link a replay that would be great!

Bill Mercer is the George Dunham of the 70's and 80's for NT sports. I met him again recently at a book signing at UTD. He has a new book out called "Play by Play" and it details his career with many NT highlights (the cover photo is him working at the SuperPit calling an NT game).

Besides NT, Bill Mercer did Dallas Cowboy games, Texas Ranger games and Chicago White Sox games. He got to call a Superbowl on the radio for the Cowboys. NT was very lucky to have someone of his stature for during the 60s and 70s. Large portions of his book are devoted to NT sports as Bill was around from Coach Mitchell through Dennis Parker. There are a number of interesting insights into the NT athletic department and various people. It's well worth reading for a NT fan!

I was able to listen to a large chunk of it. Bill is on Craig's show from time to time. They talked about "The Ice Bowl" b/c Bill was the voice of the Cowboys then. Good stuff. No NT referrences that I heard.

I got his book for Christmas. I need to finish a couple of other books before I get to it. I also received "The Story of North Texas", and " Down the Corridor of years". Good coffey table books.

GO MEAN GREEN !!!!!!!!!!

Besides NT, Bill Mercer did Dallas Cowboy games, Texas Ranger games and Chicago White Sox games. He got to call a Superbowl on the radio for the Cowboys. NT was very lucky to have someone of his stature for during the 60s and 70s. Large portions of his book are devoted to NT sports as Bill was around from Coach Mitchell through Dennis Parker. There are a number of interesting insights into the NT athletic department and various people. It's well worth reading for a NT fan!

And don't forget his greatest and most impressive entry on his resume:

"Saturday Night Wrestling" from the world famous Sportatorium.

Used to watch this faithfully as a kid.

And don't forget his greatest and most impressive entry on his resume:

"Saturday Night Wrestling" from the world famous Sportatorium.

Used to watch this faithfully as a kid.

I did too, never missed it. When the wrestlers would get into their schtick and really start yelling, Mr. Mercer wouldn't flinch while holding the microphone for them, even when you could tell they were spitting on him. I grew up a huge fan and was like a child in a candy store the morning I boarded the plane to Salt Lake City in '88 enroute to our first trip to the NCAA's and realized I was sitting next to the legend himself. I'll never forget it. He's one of the nicest men you would ever meet.

Rick

As my memory serves me, the Saturday Night Wrestling show was syndicated and was very popular in Israel. One time Bill was asked to visit Isreal and was mobbed by the crowds wanting his autograph.