Belt Bowl Rumor(s)

MeanGreen61

From the muts board.

Big possible news on Monty Hale Show today

possibility of another Bowl tie-in in Nashville, and possible Sugar Bowl taking over control of New Orleans Bowl.

Big news indeed, although I would not think that Nashville would want MT in the Bowl, because most of us would not stay overnight.

THREAD

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=349#s=349&a...8&t=1818807

It means "good" news, I'm pretty sure. We shall find out soon enough I hope.

Where would most UNT fans want a second bowl tie-in? Somewhere in Texas?

I like road trips, Memphis would be better than Ft. Worth(well, for a bowl game. not for std. of living.)

Edited by runt96

Guest 97and03

It means "good" news, I'm pretty sure. We shall find out soon enough I hope.

Where would most UNT fans want a second bowl tie-in? Somewhere in Texas?

I would think the Ft Worth Bowl or Texas bowl would be appealing to UNT. Neither are very glamorous destinations, but they are least an easy drive. I would rather be able to actually get there and see the game.

The rest of the Belt would probably be much better served by something in the South like the Liberty or Independence.

I would think the Ft Worth Bowl or Texas bowl would be appealing to UNT. Neither are very glamorous destinations, but they are least an easy drive. I would rather be able to actually get there and see the game.

The rest of the Belt would probably be much better served by something in the South like the Liberty or Independence.

I sure as hell wouldn't mind another huge steak from Cowtown and the Stockyards.

The Sugar Bowl rumor has been brewing for some time.

What does it mean?

In my opinion it means good news.

1. While the Greater New Orleans Sports Foundation has been a great partner their ranks were hit hard by Katrina and an annual event such as a bowl game was never part of their purpose nor vision. They exist to go after the home runs like Super Bowls, Final Fours, etc.

2. The Sugar Bowl Committee is very strong and they have tons of volunteers, the biggest bowls like the Sugar have more potential workers for most events than they really have work for them to do. Taking over the New Orleans Bowl means they gain a training ground for those people. The message they give the volunteers is simple, if you want to be able to rub elbows with coaches, AD's, and players at the big Sugar Bowl and BCS championship events you are going to have to prove your worth and pay your dues working the New Orleans Bowl. We get highly motivated folks working for the game.

3. The Sugar Bowl as I understand it has closed off its waiting list for local tickets. The equation for them becomes this. You want to be in line for Sugar Bowl tickets, you are going to have to buy New Orleans Bowl tickets to get that chance to wait for Sugar Bowl tickets.

4. Combining forces allows the Sugar Bowl to offer combination sponsorship deals. Spend X with the Sugar Bowl and they'll throw in New Orleans. ATT for example is a big sponsor of the Sugar, what if Verizon wants in? Right now the Sugar tells them no, but if they agree to do a small sponsor package for the New Orleans Bowl, they get the right to bid against ATT for the Sugar down the road or the right of first refusal if ATT elects to end their deal. Might the Sugar divert some of the sponsor money to make sure they have the funds to remain in the BCS? Of course but chances are the New Orleans Bowl still ends up with more money than it gets under the current arrangement.

5. Credibility. While GNOSF is a very credible organization (I suspect Myles Brand and Roger Goodell return their calls promptly) it does not have the contacts and respect in the college football community that the Sugar Bowl has. There is not a conference commissioner in the nation that wouldn't drop what they are doing if they find out that Sugar Bowl president is calling. That credibility and clout gives the game a serious leg up in finding a team from one of the six rich conferences to come play.

Guest 97and03

But none are better than Lonesome Dove on N. Main.

Hands down the best restaurant in the Fort.

You will open up the wallet...but its damn hell good.

Too bad Tim Love is such a douche.

Edited by 97and03

Good stuff and great read, as usual.

The Sugar Bowl rumor has been brewing for some time.

What does it mean?

In my opinion it means good news.

1. While the Greater New Orleans Sports Foundation has been a great partner their ranks were hit hard by Katrina and an annual event such as a bowl game was never part of their purpose nor vision. They exist to go after the home runs like Super Bowls, Final Fours, etc.

2. The Sugar Bowl Committee is very strong and they have tons of volunteers, the biggest bowls like the Sugar have more potential workers for most events than they really have work for them to do. Taking over the New Orleans Bowl means they gain a training ground for those people. The message they give the volunteers is simple, if you want to be able to rub elbows with coaches, AD's, and players at the big Sugar Bowl and BCS championship events you are going to have to prove your worth and pay your dues working the New Orleans Bowl. We get highly motivated folks working for the game.

3. The Sugar Bowl as I understand it has closed off its waiting list for local tickets. The equation for them becomes this. You want to be in line for Sugar Bowl tickets, you are going to have to buy New Orleans Bowl tickets to get that chance to wait for Sugar Bowl tickets.

4. Combining forces allows the Sugar Bowl to offer combination sponsorship deals. Spend X with the Sugar Bowl and they'll throw in New Orleans. ATT for example is a big sponsor of the Sugar, what if Verizon wants in? Right now the Sugar tells them no, but if they agree to do a small sponsor package for the New Orleans Bowl, they get the right to bid against ATT for the Sugar down the road or the right of first refusal if ATT elects to end their deal. Might the Sugar divert some of the sponsor money to make sure they have the funds to remain in the BCS? Of course but chances are the New Orleans Bowl still ends up with more money than it gets under the current arrangement.

5. Credibility. While GNOSF is a very credible organization (I suspect Myles Brand and Roger Goodell return their calls promptly) it does not have the contacts and respect in the college football community that the Sugar Bowl has. There is not a conference commissioner in the nation that wouldn't drop what they are doing if they find out that Sugar Bowl president is calling. That credibility and clout gives the game a serious leg up in finding a team from one of the six rich conferences to come play.

Guest 97and03

Oh he's not so bad. He comes across as pretty goofy on TV, but he is a pretty nice dude in person.

Only if you are a customer. Nice in person and nice person are not always the same thing.

Ok I need to stop hi-jacking this thread, which is about a bowl game. Sorry.

Edited by 97and03

I cannot remember which one my wife and I ate at several years ago. Is there one called "Cattleman's" ? I don't remember it being real expensive.

I was kind of on the corner of the main drag in Old Cowtown.

That's on the corner of Main and Exchange.

Seems that the GMAC Bowl would be a natural for the Belt's 2nd bowl. Will be USA's home stadium and wasn't a connection with the Belt anticipated when the bowl was founded ? Then the startup of Belt football didn't get off the ground soon enough.

GMAC can be our 3rd bowl (in time sequence, anyways) once their contract ends in 2008. Perfect timing, with WKU coming into the leage in 09.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Other than the GMAC, there isn't a lot to choose from for our second bowl.

Most of the other locations have a stadium that's a little large for our needs. If we use a stadium larger than 40,000, it's gonna look empty on TV.

Nashville would be a great location for a second bowl if we could play it at Vanderbilt's stadium. LP, unless we could cover the upper decks, would more than swallow any crowd that we could generate.

Amon Carter Stadium, at TCU in Fort Worth, holds 46,000 and might be doable but they have two BCS conferences signed up for now. Ditto for the Independence Bowl in Shreveport. Florida bowls are oversaturated (although they continue to draw decent crowds).

So far stadium size, weather, and location of one of the Belt's future football-playing members, Mobile would be my choice.