D-1 Playoff

KRAM1

So, after watching this year's bowl games...prior to the "championship" game...what do you think? Do you still want a playoff for a "real" #1? With so many good games...Texas, TTECH, Mich., Okla. State, KU, WVA, etc., etc. all being able to end their seasons as winners...do you still think only one team should be a winner at the end of the season. This subject was discussed in today's DMN by Tim Cowlishaw....what do you think? I may be changing my mind a little...

When we return to the New Orleans Bowl as the Sunbelt Champ in the near future...do we want to then be stacked up against a "bye" week team such as Michigan or OSU or LSU, etc., etc. and end the season that way? O.K., I know we could stand a chance of winning tyhat game, but at this point the odds are fairly long (I do hope UNT changes those odds soon...and under Dodge we may just have a chance...Fry did it...so can Dodge)...but, for now...well....just what do you think about this topic now? Just wondering.....

So, after watching this year's bowl games...prior to the "championship" game...what do you think? Do you still want a playoff for a "real" #1? With so many good games...Texas, TTECH, Mich., Okla. State, KU, WVA, etc., etc. all being able to end their seasons as winners...do you still think only one team should be a winner at the end of the season. This subject was discussed in today's DMN by Tim Cowlishaw....what do you think? I may be changing my mind a little...

When we return to the New Orleans Bowl as the Sunbelt Champ in the near future...do we want to then be stacked up against a "bye" week team such as Michigan or OSU or LSU, etc., etc. and end the season that way? O.K., I know we could stand a chance of winning tyhat game, but at this point the odds are fairly long (I do hope UNT changes those odds soon...and under Dodge we may just have a chance...Fry did it...so can Dodge)...but, for now...well....just what do you think about this topic now? Just wondering.....

This reasoning reaks of the "Everyone's a Winner!!!" mentality. Don't get me wrong...I was a 12th place ribbon legend as a kid and I'm a big fan of this mentality in many situations (especially when it involves little kids), college players and fans are "big kids" and they should be able to handle a loss at the end of an otherwise successful season.

Just my too sints

BeanCounterGrad03...I am with you on that "everyone's a winner" mentality thing...I see it all the time...everyone gets a trophy at the end of the year...HUH? Yep, up to about age 10 this is O.K., I guess, but after that...learn how it works...you win or you lose when you play the game. But, that's not the current PC attitude...wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings, right?

I am wondering, for the sake of discussion, if you have only one winner at the end of the D-1 season in football, does it hurt the dollar flow any from a contributions standpoint? Seems to me the other sports and other divisions in football, do just fine with a playoff system...think NCAA Basketball and D-II and D-III football, etc.

Just wondering what everyone else thinks...it is a discussion that will probably go on forever in the sports world as I really don't see a playoff coming in my lifetime at least...anyone else care to comment????

Guest 97and03

Why can't you have the playoff system and have bowl games? I mean the NCAA is determined to let half of D1 teams into bowls anyway. So have the top 16 in a playoff using the top-tier bowls and then all the rest play in the already meaningless lower bowls. That way more teams have a shot to earn the national championship and the bowl games can still match up Nevada vs. Central Michigan!