What's Your "magic Number"?

emmitt01

The problem with your Dickey/Dodge comparison is that the competition in the Sun Belt has gotten infinitely better since those days when we were winning it. We were not a very good team but were lucky to be in an even worse conference.

Sure the belt improved as it should have. But we are just that much worst these days. Regardless of conference affiliation(And Troy and MTSU both had some decent teams as well) you can't discount a great top 10 defense like we had back in '02, which arguably we could have won C-USA that year with it.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Guest GrayEagleOne

I voted 5 wins but I'm hoping it could be a couple more. Next year's schedule is a little easie, the offense will be more experienced, and the defense can't get any worse. The conference is getting stronger but with the exception of Florida Atlantic should level out for a year.

Like Silver, I think that Todd will spend a LOT more time trying to fix the defense, even though our key losses were there. The back seven should be a lot faster and speed killed us last year. Now, if we can just find a couple of line replacements for Chapman and Stevenson....

I voted 5 wins but I'm hoping it could be a couple more. Next year's schedule is a little easie, the offense will be more experienced, and the defense can't get any worse. The conference is getting stronger but with the exception of Florida Atlantic should level out for a year.

Like Silver, I think that Todd will spend a LOT more time trying to fix the defense, even though our key losses were there. The back seven should be a lot faster and speed killed us last year. Now, if we can just find a couple of line replacements for Chapman and Stevenson....

I can't see our defense improving simply on the change of talent/players although I know most here hope that it's true. On paper we get worse, not better because of the experience we lose next season.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Yeah, right - @ LSU, @ K-State

possible, but not the way to bet - Troy, @ FAU, Tulsa (if that's indeed the OOC home game)

swing games - @ MUTS, @ Rice

expect to win - @ WKU, @ ULM, ULL, FIU, ASU (totally had them on the road, they'll have grad losses)

I allowed for a split of the swing games, and picked 6. It looks like Troy is near the back end of the schedule, I hope FAU is, too.

Yeah, right - @ LSU, @ K-State

possible, but not the way to bet - Troy, @ FAU, Tulsa (if that's indeed the OOC home game)

swing games - @ MUTS, @ Rice

expect to win - @ WKU, @ ULM, ULL, FIU, ASU (totally had them on the road, they'll have grad losses)

I allowed for a split of the swing games, and picked 6. It looks like Troy is near the back end of the schedule, I hope FAU is, too.

If Troy gets robbed of their offensive coordinator and their stud Qb recruit; they could be a drastically different team. That Omar kid was a game changer.

Sure the belt improved as it should have. But we are just that much worst these days. Regardless of conference affiliation(And Troy and MTSU both had some decent teams as well) you can't discount a great top 10 defense like we had back in '02, which arguably we could have won C-USA that year with it.

Rick

There is also the matter of 100% turnover every 5 years. No matter how bad anyone may THINK the situation was for Dodge, talent-wise, when he arrived... After February, roughly 40% of the team will have never known a coach named Dickey or Flanagan.

If Troy gets robbed of their offensive coordinator and their stud Qb recruit; they could be a drastically different team. That Omar kid was a game changer.

Well, Omar did everything in his power this last season to hand us a win. Hopefully our o-line will have their blitzes figured out before next year's game.