West Va. Fans Have Got To Hate Michigan

SUMG

How would you like to have one school (Michigan) come in and take your basketball coach (Beilein; after last season).....and now they've just hired the WVU football coach (Rich Rodriguez).

Wasn't it Rodriguez that took the Alabama job last year and then the next day went back to WVA? I guess I am a little surprised he took the Michigan job.

I don't know what's worse, living in WV or living in Ann Arbor.

Well I thought that he was a WVA alum and with the amount of money they are paying him, coupled with accepting and then turning down bama last year, I figured he would stay. Never been to either of the places though, so I sure couldn't tell you.

Wasn't it Rodriguez that took the Alabama job last year and then the next day went back to WVA? I guess I am a little surprised he took the Michigan job.

That's right...now I remember. WVU pulled out all the stops to get him to stay...I believe the boosters really kicked in and gave him a big raise. Guess it wasn't enough, though.

Haven't been watching much ESPN lately so I missed the announcement. Never lived in either, but I've visited both areas, so my opinion might surprise you.

It's worse to live in WV. Ann Arbor doesn't have all that much to offer, but I would guess that a well-paid football coach could make a good bit out of it. West Virginia is mostly an armpit of mining with some fresh manure-filled air of farmland. I'd take that cold little Michigan college town over WV (the whole state) any day.

I haven't heard it from the national media (or from this board).

Well, no doubt it's crappy to leave a team before a bowl game and shortly after they made a large committment to you (and it IS super-crappy), unlike the Best Job Bobby:

1) Rich Rodriguez was at WVU more than ONE year. He was, in fact, there for seven, or almost twice as long as Bobby Pee-pants has been anywhere.

2) Michigan is actually a step UP the ladder from West Virginia, showing that, unlike Bobby P, Rodriguez has some stones.

3) Rich Rodriguez didn't deny deny deny deny deny lie deny up until the very last second he was hired. He scheduled a meeting with his players and broke the news to them, turned in a letter dating his last day January 3rd (meaning he MAY or MAY NOT coach in the bowl game).

4) NFL > College

Oh, and, for the record, he IS getting torn up in the northeast. For why it's not really happening on a national level, it's that the NATION doesn't care about WVU as much as it does the NFL. See #4.

Now, if Rodriguez had quit in 8 games into his first year at WVU after they'd given him as much money as any head coach in Div. 1 football, then you'd might have a valid comparison.