North Texas In The Ny Times And Other Thoughts

letsgiveacheer

Last week, there was an article in the New York Times about SLC and specifically their former quarterback who has done such a great job in Missouri. I enjoyed the comment from the SLC coach who said if their graduating students do not attend big schools like those from the Big 12 and such, it is a disappointment. If that is true, how must they feel about playing for North Texas when they graduate?

Which brings me to this season. I feel like an outsider when posting about the current state of our football program. I would not know Todd Dodge if I walked past him on the street, have never played football, etc. etc. But I am a long time North Texas supporter (35 years) and also support the school with my wallet.

When Dodge was announced as head coach, there was an euphoria never before seen on this board. There were a few that said we could go undefeated, many that predicted winning seasons, but most predicted a building year with a number of victories. But no one predicted the worse season in recent history. We lost to Oklahoma by the second largest margin in our history, resided in the Bottom 10 for most of our season and provided the only victory to SMU and FIU. Clearly, this was worse than a rebuilding year.

In spite of our season, the respect shown to Dodge by the majority of this board has been noteworthy and I doubt that if you see this on any other D-1 fan board. In fact, we have vented our angst towards an assistant coach, not the man in charge. This too, is unique.

Other than the season, (other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?), my complaint with Dodge was how he apparently spoke about the quality of our players to the ESPN commentators prior to the game with La Monroe. For those who watched that game, towards the end of the broadcast, those commentators thanked Dodge for his "candid" appraisal about our team. If correct, this was certainly not appropriate and something I have never heard before by a head coach.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/01/sports/n...uggXY3iCf%20Uwg

Good post. I think the point was 2 teams we played had only 1 win each and both were courtesy of UNT. I know talking frankly about the team is not a great ego builder but don't mind a realistc evaluation instead of pie in the sky we are great stuff. The Captain of the ship needs to fix the holes before we sink!

Good post. I think the point was 2 teams we played had only 1 win each and both were courtesy of UNT. I know talking frankly about the team is not a great ego builder but don't mind a realistc evaluation instead of pie in the sky we are great stuff. The Captain of the ship needs to fix the holes before we sink!

I certainly agree on this one! I completely support Coach Dodge as do many of the folks that post here, but let's face it, he will only be able to sustain that support IF he addresses the defensive issues posted throughout this board. Just who is expected to be in charge?? Ultimately it will be another RV issue and then Dr. Bataille will be involved in the process.

Never doubt my support of the Mean Green!

Edited by GreenExes