Taking A Look At Next Years Starting Lineup

Harry

The starting roles will be as follows:

QB. Riley Dodge / Giovanni Vizza

RB. JUCO RB and Micah Mosely will split time

OWR. Sam Dibrell / Sam Roberson

Slot. Casey Fitzgerald / Evan Walker

OWR. Evan Fentriss / Breece Johnson

Slot. Brock Strickler and Washington split time or BJ Lewis if Washington goes back to "D"

OT. Matt Menard / Matt Tomlinson

OG. Chase Rose/ Tyler Bailey

C. Kelvin Drake / J.J. Johnson

OG. Esteban Santiago / Ajani Banks

OT. Jacob Kaiser / Peachy

DE. Eddrick Gilmore / Marquis Sykes

DT. Joseph Miller / Stewart

DT. Isaac Thomas / Jesse DeSoto

DE. Sam Owusu - Heming / Charlie Brown

OLB. Craig Robertson / Davis

MLB. A. J. Penson / Toby

OLB. Tony Taveras / Mahan/Davis

CB. Juco or Kevin Ealey / Latif Nurudeen

CB. Juco or Antoine Bush / Evyn Roman (maybe Washington goes back to DB)

FS. Kartay Agbottah / Darrian Williams

SS. Juco or maybe Mahan (not sure of Mahan's ability to cover the pass)

QUOTE(PerryG2480 @ Nov 28 2007, 01:20 PM)

Wow, does Marcus King ever see the field? I thought he was pretty highly regarded coming out of HS.

He was somewhat of an unknown quantity. He played for a predominantly run-oriented offense at Trinity, but those close to the program, including Todd Dodge, observed tremendous ability and upside in him.

I'm really surprised, and a little disappointed at the lack of love for Marcus King in this thread. True, he did play in a run oriented offense; that's what the kind of talent, for the most part, that Trinity has favors. However, Lineweaver never assumes he can get by exclusively on the run in playoff games, and that's where King made some significant contributions. Some examples:

From the Dallas Morning news, after the 2005 semifinal win over A&M Consolidated; "Trinity gained 304 of its 366 total yards on the ground. However, the biggest play came through the air with Marcus King's diving 39-yard catch on third and 5. That placed Trinity on A&M Consolidated's 26 and allowed it to establish some momentum. The catch set up quarterback Trevor Vittatoe's 1-yard score on a sneak, capping the first drive of the second half." Trinity went on win 28-6 and advance to the class 5A, Division I state championship game. King didn't even score in that game, but helped change the momentum.

From TexasPrepExtra.Rivals.com, after Trinity won the 2005 state championship game. "Trinity's defense began to take complete control of the game in the second quarter and after stopping Judson the Trojans offense was again able to go to work, Marcus King would be a big player on this drive as he caught a 16 yard pass from Vittatoe on 4th and 10, a few plays later Vittatoe and King hooked up from 12 yards out for a touchdown and the score was tied up at 14 heading to the half." I was at that game, and it was very impressive to see King make big catches in traffic (at 6'3", I believe, he's a big target).

From USATODAY, after the 2006 Euless Trinity-Southlake Carroll Bi-District game, "...the Trojans, who came into the game averaging 290 yards rushing, came back in the third with its ground game behind an offensive line that averages 275 pounds. Robinson's 2-yard TD run and Taggert's 7-yard pass to Marcus King to take a 15-9 lead after three quarters." Trinity eventually lost 22-21, after a failed fake punt gave SLC a short field to make the winning score with just over 2 minutes left. Of course, SLC went ahead to eventually win state, but noone watching the game felt that Trinity players such as King were in the least intimidated.

I guess what I'm trying to point out is that, although King may not have the great numbers, he has been called on to make big plays in clutch situations, leading to, and winning, at the championship level, and has done so in a very selfless manner. I think he deserves a look under actual game conditions; maybe he could help with the really important statistics, won-loss, whether or not he ever posts spectacular numbers for catches and yardage. Isn't winning games and playing in the post season the real goal? If so, let's look at players who have been there and done that.

I don't see it as a negative about King just that he is more of an unknown commodity. There's a lot of guys who fit in that category. For instance, I hear raves about Marquis Sykes and they made a decision to keep him off the field..probably to develop. I remember Coach Dickey saying all the time that he had redshirted guys that could have helped the team that year, an example was Craig Jones. You have to wonder how many of these guys are out there that we don't know about.

I like the nucleus of what we have to build on but there are some BIG holes. Defensive end is a concern because after Gilmore - who showed promise at times - who else do we have that can be an every down type of player like Chapman? Who will replace Aaron Weathers at safety? We desperately need a sprinkling of playmakers at several key positions. We also need development. If they can figure out a way to get Joseph Miller another 15-20 pounds of strength he could be a monster.

I like the nucleus of what we have to build on but there are some BIG holes. Defensive end is a concern because after Gilmore - who showed promise at times - who else do we have that can be an every down type of player like Chapman? Who will replace Aaron Weathers at safety? We desperately need a sprinkling of playmakers at several key positions. We also need development. If they can figure out a way to get Joseph Miller another 15-20 pounds of strength he could be a monster.

Totally agree. D-end and saftey are spots that scare me heading into next year. I would hope that we land a couple of JUCOs who would come in for the spring semester. For some reason I'm not as concerned about the D-tackle position. I feel like we are starting to get some depth, and one person that I'm intrested in seeing develop is Draylon Ross. On the offensive side of the ball, I have been excited about Sam Roberson since the day he signed. I'm expecting big things from him in the future,