More players lost to soccer team?

Reb UT '70

This is a rumor, and I have not confirmed it with my daughter, I wouldn't want to put her on the spot. I have heard from a North Texas soccer supporter that we are losing three more player before the season starts. One of our starting forwards is said to be moving to TWU, and two other soon to be sophomores don't have the hours to qualify. One of those is a forward and one a mid fielder.

If this is true, and I don't know that my source is accurate we have a real problem! That would leave the team with only three subs! We have three goalies, but I was told that because of NCAA transfer rules one would not be allowed to play this year, and the other didn't get much if any playing time last year.

There is no way that you can have a team with only three subs, and I hope my information is wrong. I knew one girl was in trouble with her hours but I was very surprised by the other one who made SBC the honor roll! I don't want to throw any stones, especially if I don't know the facts, but I do have a question. Isn't someone supposed to monitor the kids to make sure something like not enough hours doesn't happen? I can understand grade problems, but not hours problems. I know that Wade Huber was leaving, and he was jewel, I suppose this could have fallen through the cracks but that's a shame.

If any of you folks are tied into official sources and confirm or hopefully deny any of this pleas post and put my mind at ease.

By my count there were supposed to be 21 returning players (including 3 goalies) from last year's conference champion. We also signed several freshmen. Are they included in your total of 14 (excluding goalies?)?

If so, that's inconceivable. As far as academics (keeping players eligible), I believe that is the responsibility of Kristi Easley. She should have advised Coach Hedlund of grade problems of current players so that he could recruit to compensate for those lost to academics.

The five top scorers (besides your daughter Elaine) were Marin, Pina, Mitchell and Uselton. Will any of these be gone this coming season?

If you look at the prospectus on the official soccer page it lists 15 returning lettermen field players (two of those listed are goalies) and three incoming freshmen/transfers (one is a goalie) My source told me that we were losing five lettermen and we would only have two eligible goalies.

Part of my confusion is that we have a girl who is going to be a senior who is not listed on the prospectus I don't know if she was being counted as our second eligible goalie. If so then we would have fourteen field player, which is still a mighty small squad, but with no injuries we could make it through the season. Either way, if the numbers are right, I hope we have some very strong walk-ons so that we can have enough kids for good practices. We need 20 field players to scrimage and I would think we'd be at a disadvantage if we don't have that many.

Again, I don't know names, but I was told that one of our starting forwards is moving to TWU. Since I'm sure I would have heard if Marin was leaving, and I can't see her moving to TWU, it would have to be either Pina or Mitchell. I'm pretty sure that one of the letterman, who started almost every game, and has left is Adame. Her father told me she had enrolled at Texas.

Reb, I hope this is misinformation. It would be a tragedy to go from championship caliber team to last place in one year. There is no way we can field a team with three or four subs.. it is just not possible or fair to the girls. Why are all the girls leaving? Has the school not treated them fairly?

I think that part of the problem is that we had 13 true freshmen and one red shirt freshman on a 23 man squad. I think the 3 girls who were carried last year and were not listed on the prospectus left because they didn't see much chance to break into the starting line up. I think that is normal and to be expected. I knew that one girl had grade problems, but I hadn't heard about anyone else, and I hope that that part of the rumor is wrong.

As for the rest, I don't know, I was told that the girl who transferred to Texas did so because she wanted a degree from a better school. I was also told by the same person that she was not a strong student. In any case she is from Austin and I won't speculate on why she left, but if she did she will be sorely missed.

That leaves our starter who is supposed to transferred to TWU, and I think the fifth girl is a freshman goalie. I don't think the goalie had much chance to play for the next two years and that might have been a factor. The TWU transfer is a body blow, and I have no idea why. I do know that our assistant coach from last year is now head coach at TWU.

As a parent of a player, I have to say that my daughter loves the place and the program. Frankly, I had hopes that she would transfer to another school after her first year or at most two. We had that conversation a couple of weeks ago and I was told that there was "No Way I'm leaving North Texas!" Since she was not a starter I have to think that the internals of the program are fine.

I know that all the player gripe about the facilities, but that is being fixed and I don't think any player left for that reason. Bottom line, and I'm guessing, and this is my opinion only. I think that some of the girls who intended to leave didn't level with the staff and we weren't prepared for it. I think that one of the grade cases is a blindside , and I still hope that's not true. I think we didn't know what we were going to need and how many 'ships we had available, as a result we didn't get several girls we might have wanted to sign. If we had an incoming class of ten instead of four we'd be okay.

All that being said, if I were a betting man, I would still give odds that North Texas will repeat as SBC Champions. We have some incredible talent here, as long as we don't get anyone hurt, there is not a game on our schedule that we shouldn't be favored to win, and that includes SMU. I predict that if we win the SBC tourney, and we should, we will advance to at least the second round in the NCAA. The only hedge is if we have to play that any game on a University of Texas sized field in that case our odds drop.

You might not have been around long enough to know that my pen name really does reflect a passion for the University of Texas. I wanted my daughter to go to either Texas or Rice. I have been quite surprised at the quality of North Texas, and I think it is under rated. In her chosen field of teaching I think an Honor's degree from UNT will serve as well as a degree from either of the other schools. I even think it is fair to say that I'm a North Texas booster.

However, I would always rather my children go to Texas, and if she ever decides not to teach I think a Rice degree would be more helpful than one from either UNT or UT. I will continue to try to influence her to attend one of those other schools, as I will attempt to dissuade her from wearing tight clothing. I fear I might have more success with the tight clothing. My daughter is very strong willed.

proper spelling shows a lack of creativity --- no wait I spelled that right didn't I? In additon to talking up the school to others as an alternative to places like Tech or A&M, I'm an official member of the Mean Green Club at somewhere between the Victory Cirlce and the Coach's Circle level.

I have a son and a daughter, from my son I want a grand kid NOW! From my daughter... I keep taking her to Ireland hoping she'll pick up on the old Irish custom of the youngest daughter taking care of Da until he passes on, then and only then thinking about marriage. To put it in American it's "over my dead body!"

LOL Reb!

Back to the squad...hopfully it's not as bad as it seems. I always enjoyed watching the girls play while I still lived in Denton. In fact I could almost always count on a victory to brighten my day.

I rarely missed a game...unless I happened to be at work.

I think that soccer players are allowed a 'free' move after their freshmam year, after that they have to be released from a squad to avoid having to sit out for a year. TWU is a Div II school, and they compete in the Lone Star Confrence, which includes schools like A&M Commerce and Angelo State.

I don't understand why a player would move there, but we will play them this year. It's a game I will not miss.