Dodge Wants Unt To Be Family Haha

KBJ

I guess the most disappointing thing is the lack of comment on the Johnny Rotten freebie. I expected more from people associated with a "music school."

Also, Kentucky didn't ditch the coach before they hired Rich Brooks, he left. And, Kentucky has basketball to fall back on. You're talking about a school, like Kansas and North Carolina, who simply takes a successful football season as a bonus to smile about while they're watching great basketball. In other words, no one there would have really cared what the football team did as long as the basketball team was winning. That's why they can hire goof offs like Hal Mumme and castaways like Rich Brooks. Brooks could have coached there for a decade without winning and no one would have cared. Look at how long it took North Carolina to fire Jim Bunting!

Utah didn't build either. The guy before Urban Meyer coached there 13 season, producing 10 winning seasons, five bowl teams, and two shared conference titles in two difference conferences. The season before Urban Meyer arrived, the Utes were 5-6 with five of those six losses losses by less than 10 points, and two by four or less - including a 10-7 loss to Michigan at Ann Arbor. So, it's not as if the Utes were in dire straits when Meyer was hired. They'd had plenty of success over the previous three decades. They've had 19 winning seasons since 1980, and they haven't had back-to-back losing seasons since 1985-1986. Like, Utah? Come on, man.

The story is the same with Boise. They didn't "build a winner over time" anymore than Utah did. They've been winning a two different levels for over five decades. They were regular I-AA playoff qualifiers. The Broncos have only had five losing seasons since 1968! None since 1997. Whatever level they've been at, they've piled up conference titles - I-AA and I-A. It hasn't mattered. They've got 40 years of football - 35 of those winning. There was no "building time" recently or in the past.

TCU may be comparable...except that they have money to hire real college coaches! They play in a real college football stadium! Big differences. The demise of the SWC was the best thing that ever happened to TCU. If they'd been thrown into the Big 12, they'd be no different than Baylor. They were thrust into a conference where they could thrive, and finally got an athletic director who could raise and spend money for the good of the program. And, he didn't go digging around in the high school ranks to find coaches either.

Rutgers is the only possible plausible attempt you can make to us by comparison...but even that fails. Rutgers is The State University of New Jersey. UNT is not the State University of Texas. We've discussed the money and politics of this before. Also, their current head coach wasn't a high school coach with lots of state titles. He ws the defensive coordinator at Miami U for two seasons. Before that, he was the Chicago Bears' secondary coach for two seasons. Before that he was the secondary coach for six seasons at Penn State, each seasons the Nittany Lions were a bowl team. Shiano didn't have to have a personal "learning curve" for him and his staff.

Also, having the best teams in the Big East defect to the ACC during his tenure hasn't hurt either! Virginias Tech...Miami...Boston College. Shiano wasn't exactly blowing those teams away when they were still in the Big East, now, was he? No. He was 0-9 against those Big East defectors the three years they were opposing him.

Whether you like it or not, we are in no way like the schools you mentioned...other than our players also wear pads, helmets, cleats and run up and down a 100 yard field with 10 yard end zones at either side. After that, there's no similarity at all.

If and when we make it big, it will be coming out of the blue like Kansas State did it...although, again, they plucked a longtime assistant at Iowa to lead their building, not a high school coach with high school coordinators and assistants.

If Todd Dodge makes this thing work, it will be the football story to end all football stories. It will be like nothing that has ever been done before.

If...

Right now, we'd simply settle for another game where we scored more than our opponent.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess the most disappointing thing is the lack of comment on the Johnny Rotten freebie. I expected more from people associated with a "music school."

Also, Kentucky didn't ditch the coach before they hired Rich Brooks, he left. And, Kentucky has basketball to fall back on. You're talking about a school, like Kansas and North Carolina, who simply takes a successful football season as a bonus to smile about while they're watching great basketball. In other words, no one there would have really cared what the football team did as long as the basketball team was winning. That's why they can hire goof offs like Hal Mumme and castaways like Rich Brooks. Brooks could have coached there for a decade without winning and no one would have cared. Look at how long it took North Carolina to fire Jim Bunting!

Utah didn't build either. The guy before Urban Meyer coached there 13 season, producing 10 winning seasons, five bowl teams, and two shared conference titles in two difference conferences. The season before Urban Meyer arrived, the Utes were 5-6 with five of those six losses losses by less than 10 points, and two by four or less - including a 10-7 loss to Michigan at Ann Arbor. So, it's not as if the Utes were in dire straits when Meyer was hired. They'd had plenty of success over the previous three decades. They've had 19 winning seasons since 1980, and they haven't had back-to-back losing seasons since 1985-1986. Like, Utah? Come on, man.

The story is the same with Boise. They didn't "build a winner over time" anymore than Utah did. They've been winning a two different levels for over five decades. They were regular I-AA playoff qualifiers. The Broncos have only had five losing seasons since 1968! None since 1997. Whatever level they've been at, they've piled up conference titles - I-AA and I-A. It hasn't mattered. They've got 40 years of football - 35 of those winning. There was no "building time" recently or in the past.

TCU may be comparable...except that they have money to hire real college coaches! They play in a real college football stadium! Big differences. The demise of the SWC was the best thing that ever happened to TCU. If they'd been thrown into the Big 12, they'd be no different than Baylor. They were thrust into a conference where they could thrive, and finally got an athletic director who could raise and spend money for the good of the program. And, he didn't go digging around in the high school ranks to find coaches either.

Rutgers is the only possible plausible attempt you can make to us by comparison...but even that fails. Rutgers is The State University of New Jersey. UNT is not the State University of Texas. We've discussed the money and politics of this before. Also, their current head coach wasn't a high school coach with lots of state titles. He ws the defensive coordinator at Miami U for two seasons. Before that, he was the Chicago Bears' secondary coach for two seasons. Before that he was the secondary coach for six seasons at Penn State, each seasons the Nittany Lions were a bowl team. Shiano didn't have to have a personal "learning curve" for him and his staff.

Also, having the best teams in the Big East defect to the ACC during his tenure hasn't hurt either! Virginias Tech...Miami...Boston College. Shiano wasn't exactly blowing those teams away when they were still in the Big East, now, was he? No. He was 0-9 against those Big East defectors the three years they were opposing him.

Whether you like it or not, we are in no way like the schools you mentioned...other than our players also wear pads, helmets, cleats and run up and down a 100 yard field with 10 yard end zones at either side. After that, there's no similarity at all.

If and when we make it big, it will be coming out of the blue like Kansas State did it...although, again, they plucked a longtime assistant at Iowa to lead their building, not a high school coach with high school coordinators and assistants.

If Todd Dodge makes this thing work, it will be the football story to end all football stories. It will be like nothing that has ever been done before.

If...

Right now, we'd simply settle for another game where we scored more than our opponent.

I'm sure a lot of people at South Florida didn't expect their football program to go from intramurals to the second ranked team in the collegiate world in a scant eleven years. You can't base the future on past history. Our school in Denton which you erroneously refer to as a "music school" is making strides in the right direction for our football program regardless of our current record. I'm as pissed as anyone about what's currently happening on the football field, but anyone that doesn't see the progress off the field is blind.

I'm sure a lot of people at South Florida didn't expect their football program to go from intramurals to the second ranked team in the collegiate world in a scant eleven years. You can't base the future on past history. Our school in Denton which you erroneously refer to as a "music school" is making strides in the right direction for our football program regardless of our current record. I'm as pissed as anyone about what's currently happening on the football field, but anyone that doesn't see the progress off the field is blind.

I agree that there has been some definite progress off the field. I remember a time not too many years ago when tailgating at Fouts consisted of a couple of guys hanging out in the parking lot drinking beer. That has changed considerably. I also remember a time when a couple of thousand people would sit in a dimly lit open ended stadium listening to an inaudible PA announcer, and gazing at a high school caliber scoreboard accounting for a game in which very few people really cared about the outcome. That has also changed considerably. I also remember when we had an apathetic administration that would of liked nothing better than to eliminate the football program entirely at North Texas. Again, that has changed considerably. I'm just saying that things are changing for the better off the field, and that all is not lost just because we are 1-6 after all of this big TD buildup. Please criticize the happenings on the field to your hearts content, but I'm still confident that the tide has turned and that we will be headed upward here before too long. I still believe that Dodge is good enough at his profession to make the necessary adjustments for us to start winning football games very soon. Let's start with a nice crowd and a big win this Saturday against MUTS!

If...

Once again, my point was lost on you. Please, go cheer for Tulsa or find a team with a female kicker to support. Your original post in this thread is full of sh#!.

We have a new University President, a new football coach and a new coaching staff and you are ready to write them off after half a season and claim they are trying to pull the wool over our eyes. On top of that, Dodge had 17 days to assemble a staff, recruit and sign his first class. A little patience and a dose of reality is what is needed.

Once again, my point was lost on you. Please, go cheer for Tulsa or find a team with a female kicker to support. Your original post in this thread is full of sh#!.

We have a new University President, a new football coach and a new coaching staff and you are ready to write them off after half a season and claim they are trying to pull the wool over our eyes. On top of that, Dodge had 17 days to assemble a staff, recruit and sign his first class. A little patience and a dose of reality is what is needed.

Your point was the same as always - wait, wait, wait.

You also like to point out teams whose history is only lost on those people who believe a football wasn't snapped until ESPN was formed. No team you name had similar circumstances to us. Nor did they succeed by trying to do it the way we are. That's a simple fact easily borne out with just a modicum of research.

My point is this - why call each other names over it? It's the same stuff that's been thrown at us time and time again. It's not worth it to turn on each other.

Different coach, same result. Different president, another high school coach hired. Dennis Parker then, Todd Dodge now. In between, some position coaches, Simon and Dickey, from run of the mill I-As.

So what? Be mad at me if you wish. That's your choice.

At this point, what counts to me is results. Dodge came in talking a good game, "defense will carry us this year because that's where the experience is on this roster" blah, blah, blah. Yeah, sure. Seven game into it, and we're still wondering how nine returning starters could be so confused about playing defense. Different people standing on the sideline with headphones and clipboards, same results.

Gee, the high school coach and his high school coordinators didn't see this coming? Yawn. Tell me about it.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Your point was the same as always - wait, wait, wait.

You also like to point out teams whose history is only lost on those people who believe a football wasn't snapped until ESPN was formed. No team you name had similar circumstances to us. Nor did they succeed by trying to do it the way we are. That's a simple fact easily borne out with just a modicum of research.

My point is this - why call each other names over it? It's the same stuff that's been thrown at us time and time again. It's not worth it to turn on each other.

Different coach, same result. Different president, another high school coach hired. Dennis Parker then, Todd Dodge now. In between, some position coaches, Simon and Dickey, from run of the mill I-As.

So what? Be mad at me if you wish. That's your choice.

At this point, what counts to me is results. Dodge came in talking a good game, "defense will carry us this year because that's where the experience is on this roster" blah, blah, blah. Yeah, sure. Seven game into it, and we're still wondering how nine returning starters could be so confused about playing defense. Different people standing on the sideline with headphones and clipboards, same results.

Gee, the high school coach and his high school coordinators didn't see this coming? Yawn. Tell me about it.

thanks for telling it like it is--that first post was awesome--doesnt mean u dont want things to get better, ur just speaking the truth about the current and past situations

Yeah - stick to coaches and adminstrators!

Coaches and Administrators are paid, and work for us - the Taxpayers of Texas and Almuni of this school. I'd say we've earned the right to be critical of their job performance - but I don't think they should be attacked personally either.

You know, if you truely feel this way, then why are you on this board? Go support Tulsa, or whatever school you received your post graduate degree from. At some point, schools like Kentucky, Utah, Boise State, TCU, Rutgers, etc... said enough is enough and put forth the effort and committed to having a successful program. There is no reason to believe that is not what is happening at North Texas right now. There are too many signs that indicate that this program is headed in the right direction.

I believe Dodge is a "real college football coach" and that our assistants will be fine. As with any coach, Dodge surrounded himself with coaches he is familiar with and has a nice mix of coaches with college and HS experience. These coaches are well respected by the HS coaches throughout Texas, which was needed considering not many of them respected the previous coaching staff.

BINGO. If he's so amped up about the "crap" then he should leave. I get his points, we're all frustrated, and it would be a bit inhuman if we were not. The one thing will agree with him on is that "higher ups" at UNT did not/have not take the football program seriously, and as a result, the university, the team coaching staff, players and fans are paying the price for sins committed in the past. An amazing or even strong football program wont fall in anyones lap in one season, people need to realize that. Talks of stadiums, better promotions, better coaching, better logos, better uniforms, etc etc add inifinitum shoud have been take more seriously 20 years ago. I realize it's an economic issue that points the finger in a continious vicious circle. All of these things could have been done perhaps if there was better funding, more revenue generated by the program, that was at times mediocre at best. So basically, to sum it up, no matter how everyone on here writes their own damn manifest how it all breaks down, the simple point is that we're somewhat at a Mexican Standoff or Chicken/Egg controversy. Does the program need to perform better to make more money for better facilites, or, does the AD somehow pump more money into the program, to develop a better team?

I realize this stuff is stating the obvious, telling alot of us shit we already know. My point is this...You people that bitch so much, have you never heard the terms "Long term Investment" or "it's going to to get worse before it gets better?" Something DOES have to get off dead center before the program moves forward in the direction we all want. My point is I believe Dodge and the team are doing everything they can to accomplish this. Use Dodge's continuous quote about the body bag games...He continually states he had no input in the games he inherited, so basically bitching about it does nothing. Anyone could walk away from this, but all we have to do is watch the games. My God, the players have to face their peers and themselves after losing, so show them a little more support.

And people need to shut the F up if they feel the need to publicly trash Meager on this board. Honestly, I like Vizza as a starter but I'm damn glad DM is in there as back up. It's not about one person people, it's a system.

I realize this stuff is stating the obvious, telling alot of us shit we already know. My point is this...You people that bitch so much, have you never heard the terms "Long term Investment" or "it's going to to get worse before it gets better?" Something DOES have to get off dead center before the program moves forward in the direction we all want. My point is I believe Dodge and the team are doing everything they can to accomplish this. Use Dodge's continuous quote about the body bag games...He continually states he had no input in the games he inherited, so basically bitching about it does nothing. Anyone could walk away from this, but all we have to do is watch the games. My God, the players have to face their peers and themselves after losing, so show them a little more support.

Do you truly believe Dodge is making a long-term investment in UNT?? If so then get in line and prepare to wait a few years, if not then then results need to start happening now. As soon as Dodge starts to get on a roll he has the personality that will have many larger school dropping their pants for a chance at him. :blink:

Do you truly believe Dodge is making a long-term investment in UNT?? If so then get in line and prepare to wait a few years, if not then then results need to start happening now. As soon as Dodge starts to get on a roll he has the personality that will have many larger school dropping their pants for a chance at him. :blink:

Do I think Dodge signed on to UNT thinking "yep, this place is going to be great for the next 20 years" No, that would be nuts. And if a larger school threw a mountain of money and great oppourtunities at him, I'd say hes crazy to pass on it. Any of us would do the same for a great job. But, the guy has demostrated values 10-fold that shows his true character. He wants to stay in the area, he's said that numerous times. He passed on working for the Dallas Cowboys because it wasnt the right fit. Guys, I'd dont know what they offered him, but just guessing, I'm sure it was more than he was making at SLC and probably comparible (with benefits) what he gets here. Think about it, if he would have taken the Cowboys coaching job, and had a few good seasons, that too would have been a springboard to a bigger Job, ie maybe a head coach at huge D1 school. Do you think if the program is built on his foundation and other offers are made to him, that he wouldnt give UNT the right of first refusal? Do you think he's so stupid he himself didnt think this through? My point is, we have a choice. Back him and his decisions up and hang on for the ride, even if it takes a couple of years. It's easy to be negetive. It takes work to be positive.

Edited by trud1966

The one thing will agree with him on is that "higher ups" at UNT did not/have not take the football program seriously, and as a result, the university, the team coaching staff, players and fans are paying the price for sins committed in the past

Problem is, he is already blaming the current higher ups for using smoke and mirrors and we are only at the halfway point of Dodge's first season. I'm disappointed too, but give the man some time is all I'm saying. Not 4 or 5 years, but at least one or two.

KBJ, you're post was ignorant and downright rude. I feel you should apologize to Coach Dodge for questioning his integrity and putting Riley in the middle of your idiotic statements. You aren't man enough to do it, but you should think about it. It'd be the right thing to do.

That is your opinion that he was ignorant and rude. And who are you to tell him who he should or shouldnt apologize too? I am not saying I agree with his statements but this is a message board and we can say whatever the heck we want (well almost). You questioned him not being man enough for questioning Dodge but I say he is cuz its apparent Dodge has most everyone on here on his lap. If that is the case Dodge should and better take it like a man and take in all the criticism he is getting. Like the great Dan Hawkins(University of Colorado Coach) said last April "This is division 1 football"!

You people that bitch so much, have you never heard the terms "Long term Investment" or "it's going to to get worse before it gets better?"

At North Texas, we've heard it all the time. It should be translated into Latin and incorporated into the school's seal.

You know, if you truely feel this way, then why are you on this board? Go support Tulsa, or whatever school you received your post graduate degree from. At some point, schools like Kentucky, Utah, Boise State, TCU, Rutgers, etc... said enough is enough and put forth the effort and committed to having a successful program. There is no reason to believe that is not what is happening at North Texas right now. There are too many signs that indicate that this program is headed in the right direction.

I believe Dodge is a "real college football coach" and that our assistants will be fine. As with any coach, Dodge surrounded himself with coaches he is familiar with and has a nice mix of coaches with college and HS experience. These coaches are well respected by the HS coaches throughout Texas, which was needed considering not many of them respected the previous coaching staff.

Ummm...Kentucky is in the SEC buddy...not to mention arguably the most prestigous basketball programs in the country. Money is never an issue with them.

Ummm...Kentucky is in the SEC buddy...not to mention arguably the most prestigous basketball programs in the country. Money is never an issue with them.

I'm fully aware, but many BcS conference schools emphasize one sport over another, Kentucky, Duke, etc... and have to make a committment to be successful across the board. I know money is not an issue, but if you think football gets equal billing at Kentucky and Duke as basketball then you are mistaken.