Vizza, Unt, Fans, Defense

newuntfan07

To reflect at my first ever road game, I thought the atmoshpere was tremendous.

Arkansas looked a lot like Oklahoma, big, fast, depth, and UNT was overmatched. We just do not have the ability to hang with this type of athlete at this time. We can rip this guy or that guy or whatever but we just don't have it. Call it scheme, call it talent, call it whatever, but we were overmatched against a team that had something to prove.

The one thing I notice about our fan section is how they respond to Vizza. They respond because he responds. You can tell Vizza plays with every ounce of heart that a player can play with. The way he runs, the way stays in the pocket and takes hits and then continues to stay in the pocket is unheard of for a true freshman.

Vizza has NOT played in a game since Sept. 1. No game time and then he can come in cold and perform like that in the second quarter (give him major credit). He had the momentum but from reading the Arkansas paper this morning, his plan was to use Giovanni only in the second quarter. He had no plans for Giovanni in the 4th.

Meager will throw up big numbers again the next two weeks because of the level of competition but is this what UNT really needs? Are we band aiding our future, hell yes. Vizza is a winner, his body language is amazing and he backs it up. The whole crowd and the team feed off his style of play. You can really sense it on the sidelines. The team wants Giovanni and Dodge wants to hold true, not reallys sure that Dodge is doing us a favor by stating that Vizza will remain the back-up.

I believe, based on the OU and Arkansas game, against superior talent, that Vizza would tear up the Sun Belt the rest of the way. He just has a nack for making plays.

Edited by newuntfan07

Guest GrayEagleOne

I love Todd Dodge like a son but this is one area that I totally disagree with him. To say that one quarterback is more advanced than another at a particular point in time is one thing, but to say that it will be that way for the foreseeable future is borderline assinine.

Vizza has certainly made freshman mistakes and the last play was a good example. Had he been playing more, the score should have been been 59-14. Still bad, but look at it this way. Vizza has been in for what...six...seven drives? That last drive would have been his third, or nearly half of the time he was in there e has produced a score. I think that the two interceptions that he's had retruned for TDs were a direct result of trying to do too much n a very short time; since he gets limited snaps.

As others have pointed out he is a leader and makes things happen. He is exciting to watch even when he's not effective. He is Scott Hall on steroids. I think that he would learn to play within his capabilities if given the chance.

Do the right thing, Todd.

I love Todd Dodge like a son but this is one area that I totally disagree with him. To say that one quarterback is more advanced than another at a particular point in time is one thing, but to say that it will be that way for the foreseeable future is borderline assinine.

Vizza has certainly made freshman mistakes and the last play was a good example. Had he been playing more, the score should have been been 59-14. Still bad, but look at it this way. Vizza has been in for what...six...seven drives? That last drive would have been his third, or nearly half of the time he was in there e has produced a score. I think that the two interceptions that he's had retruned for TDs were a direct result of trying to do too much n a very short time; since he gets limited snaps.

As others have pointed out he is a leader and makes things happen. He is exciting to watch even when he's not effective. He is Scott Hall on steroids. I think that he would learn to play within his capabilities if given the chance.

Do the right thing, Todd.

Well said. Vizza has "IT"....Meager does not. No offense to Meager, b/c he's got skills. But the "IT" is all over Vizza. We win when we finally make the switch---full-time. This situation reminds me of Bridges/Hall or Bledsoe/Romo. It's only a matter of time at this point. How many more games do we have to lose before Dodge makes the change??

How many more games do we have to lose before Dodge makes the change??

You need to prepare yourself, because Meager may very well be the starter for the rest of this season. Dodge was pretty clear last night when he said "we won't have a QB controversy, Meager is our starter." "we just want to get Vizza some time since we chose not to reshirt him."

You need to prepare yourself, because Meager may very well be the starter for the rest of this season. Dodge was pretty clear last night when he said "we won't have a QB controversy, Meager is our starter." "we just want to get Vizza some time since we chose not to reshirt him."

If that's the case, don't expect me to cheer when Meager is in. I won't boo if something bad happens, but I just can't get behind the offense with Meager behind the wheel. Having seen how Vizza plays with such determination and whatnot, I'll be a lot more excited if and when he comes in at the next home game.

For the sake of us winning a game, I hope he improves his INT/TD ratio and works to reduce the mistakes he's been making recently.

Edited by UNTFan23

Guest GrayEagleOne

There may not be a controversy within the team but he's apt to have a great upheaval with the fans unless Meager suddenly starts putting some points on the board. He is not without talent but he's more like Dickey....he plays not to lose instead of playing to win. Meager understands that it's all about winning and not yardage.

If that's the case, don't expect me to cheer when Meager is in. I won't boo if something bad happens, but I just can't get behind the offense with Meager behind the wheel. Having seen how Vizza plays with such determination and whatnot, I'll be a lot more excited if and when he comes in at the next home game.

For the sake of us winning a game, I hope he improves his INT/TD ratio and works to reduce the mistakes he's been making recently.

North Texas is bigger than Meager or any player for that matter. Like him or not, choosing not to cheer for your team is wrong.

There may not be a controversy within the team but he's apt to have a great upheaval with the fans unless Meager suddenly starts putting some points on the board. He is not without talent but he's more like Dickey....he plays not to lose instead of playing to win. Meager understands that it's all about winning and not yardage.

This week is huge for us. Never thought before the season started that this game would be so pivitol for us, but at 0 - 4 with a game this week against another winless team, and coming back home the following week, if Dodge and Co. don't make a change and leave Meager in there and we don't win, the newness and excitement of Dodge will wear off very quickly. People in this town know what Meager has done in the past (not taking a shot at him at all) and when they see that we are winless and he is still the starter, they are not going to come out for the games. Plain and simple. Those of us hardcore fans will still be there, but the general public is not going to come out and watch a team that is winless and making the same results game after game with little change.

North Texas is bigger than Meager or any player for that matter. Like him or not, choosing not to cheer for your team is wrong.

Is this better?

If that's the case, don't expect me to cheer be as enthusiastic when Meager is in.