Nt Daily Article

Mad Hatter

Time is right for potential OU stunner

Richard White

Issue date: 8/31/07 Section: SPORTS

PrintEmail DoubleClick Any Word Page 1 of 2 next > All things considered, NT stands its best chance ever to beat a nationally-ranked Top 10 opponent when it begins the 2007 season by playing the No. 8 ranked University of Oklahoma Sooners at 6:10 p.m. Saturday in Norman, Okla.

"There's a win to be had and that's what we're going after," head coach Todd Dodge said. "We absolutely have got to look each other in the eye in this game and vow that no one's going to turn colors, meaning that no one's going to belly up and quit and get discouraged."

In order for NT to prevail on Saturday, it must overcome a daunting historical wall of its own ineptitude. NT is 36-52-3 in season openers, winning only once in the last 10 years by beating Middle Tennessee 14-7 in 2005.

More specifically, the Mean Green is 0-13 against Top 10 opponents and 0-6 against the Sooners, dating back to their first meeting 20 years ago this week. In those six games, OU has won by an average score of 45-8.

"One thing our players understand is we're not going up there to pick up a check," Dodge said, referring to the common practice of national contending teams scheduling and compensating teams from much smaller conferences for their season opener. "We would never do our fans an injustice to go up there just to protect the equipment. We're going to go to try to win a football game."

What NT has in its favor is OU's current messy state of affairs. Even before he was named the Sooners starting quarterback, many questioned whether redshirt freshman Sam Bradford has the skills needed to lead a national contending team.

Additionally, the deep well of OU running backs is running dry. Senior Allen Patrick, who is nursing a sprained right ankle, is questionable. His backup, sophomore Chris Brown, was suspended earlier in the week for Saturday's game. The last tailbacks standing are senior third-stringer Jacob Gutierrez and freshmen DeMarco Murray and Mossis Madu.

As for NT, it must prevent OU's offense from getting into a rhythm by playing great first down defense. With nine returning starters, the veteran NT defense should blitz early, forcing the inexperienced Bradford to make mistakes, seeing if he and the offensive line can handle the adjustments.

Continued...

On offense, NT must hold off an experienced and staunch OU secondary that's returning all four starters. Junior starting quarterback Daniel Meager has to be quick in finding his many receivers, who have to be efficient in executing routes and finding holes in the OU defense before the safeties and cornerbacks swarm. Even though it's the season opener, NT must play in midseason form.

"As an offense we have to stay in manageable down distance," Meager said. "Coach Dodge is very good at implementing his plan and keeping us positive. Like he always says, he doesn't know how to coach underdogs and that's got everyone fired up."

When OU puts all its pieces into place, they will be as formidable as any team in the nation, but that won't be this Saturday. NT could surprise many people around the country who are watching the game through the national broadcast on Fox Sports Net.

With a young, unproven quarterback playing in his first college game and the strong possibility that their top two running backs will be on the bench, the Sooners will still be tough, but not as invincible as their No. 8 ranking implies.

If NT plays its best game, at the very least it can expose some OU weak spots and keep the score close to respectable. This is a rare opportunity and the Mean Green players know it doesn't come around too often.

"It's always a great opportunity to play well, playing on national TV with everyone watching. It can't get any better than that," senior safety Aaron Weathers said. "We're just going to go out and play with passion and when you do that, good things can happen."

"Like he always says, he doesn't know how to coach underdogs and that's got everyone fired up."

[/quote

I know everyone is going to jump all over me...but this is fair, and I am just curious. How will him and the team react to adversity? If the media was comparing SLC to national power houses, and with TD being on the other side of the fence now at NT (albeit, hopefully, temporarily)...what happens if OU goes up big, or the momentum swings their way?

Reacting to adversity, making those keys adjustments during the game and at halftime, motivating players against all odds...those are keys to a great coach. I believe Coach Dodge has those key attributes in him, we will just have to be patient...

Thoughts???

Wow.

I generally consider myself I pretty practical, realistic fan; especially when it comes to NT. For whatever reason, I'm really, REALLY charged up about tomorrow. I know what the result will probably be... but man, I've got these near-apolcalyptic visions of pure bliss dancing through my head, and I almost feel guilty about the fact I'm entertaining the possibility that there's even the tiniest chance to raise some hell up there.

Or, maybe it's the two lines I just did off the cleaning lady's ass.

Edited by CaribbeanGreen

One great college football coach said: "I inherited a 2-7 team. There was talent on the team already. The first thing I did was to put the right players in the right position. Next, I worked on

making the players believe in themselves, make a plan and stick to it". The next year, the team

came within 1 minute and 33 seconds of winning their first national championship.

That coach was Ara Parseghian, in his first year at Norte Dame, 1963. His first "national championship" came in 1966.

A good coach can reconize talent, and put the player in the right position to succeed.

A good coach will build confidence, make a plan and stick with it.

Coach Dodge has change everything about the North Texas football team, changed players

from one position to another, and has a plan that he will stick with. I have read several

quotes from various players that imply a very high confidence level and a winners attitude.

I believe Coach Dodge and his staff will be just fine!

Unfortunately, that is what I was referring to. But, hopefully they have gotten past the learning curve, and can react a little better to adversity within the game. It is a lot different making adjustments in a college game vs. a high school game. Hopefully "coaching is coaching" means just that...and not relative to the stage you are on...