Thoughts On The Smu Game

emmitt01

Need to update the words a little.

Oh, the old gray mare, she ain't what she used to be,

Since the death penalty, since the dealth penalty.

The old gray mare, she ain't what she used to be,

Many long years ago.

--a New Verse Two...!!

---I really am SE-66 and I do approve of this message and the change in lyrics and signature of the Flyer.......LOL

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe we should make that The OL' BLUE MARE--

Oh, the old blue mare, she ain't what she used to be,

Ain't what she used to be, ain't what she used to be.

The old blue mare, she ain't what she used to be,

Many long years ago.

Oh, the old blue mare, she ain't what she used to be,

Since the death penalty, since the dealth penalty.

Many long years ago.

Many long years ago, many long years ago.

Many long years ago.

Like verse two but would be a bit long to make a point.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Moving players into a new system is always hard for a coach. Sometimes even those that appear to be geniuses. Now, granted, some rosters are so completely filled to the brim with talent (Florida, LSU) that a new coach can come in and win 9-10 games in his first year. However, some coaches that are highly regarded go into schools and don't succeed when trying to change the system at first (Nebraska, Colorado). Both of the coaches at these programs will get things moving in the right direction (and look for Nebraska to post 9-10 regular season wins), but sometimes it just takes awhile. I think UNT will improve in greatly this year. UNT wasn't blown out too much, but UNT has to take care of business at home. If UNT can win their home games, and then sneak a game or 2 on the road. To an outsider, that shows improvement. And I may have gone to SMU, but I'm objective.. unless it comes to LSU or Mississippi State.

The game in Denton last year left many people perplexed I think, and probably fans of both teams at the end of the season. After the game in Denton, SMU fans gave up, and thought SHSU and Arkansas State would beat us. Then we pounded them 45-14 and 55-9 respectively. Then went on to have a somewhat respectable season. The key for SMU has been how well they play at home. Last year the only loss was Houston, and it was by 10. Sadly, we led by 10 at half-time and just couldn't score. The year before, SMU had a winning record at home.

Last year's game might have still been a L, but the combination of a green QB, the injury to DeMyron Martin, and SMU thinking they could trot out onto the field and just waltz to a W I believe played a huge factor. This year, for the first time since Bennett has been at SMU, we have a returning QB who performed excellently as he grew into the position. The o-line will finally be experienced and a strength, and has been pointed out, there is immense talent at the RB position for the Stangs this year. Special teams should be good for SMU as we return the kicker, and have a great KR.

Defense is the glaring question mark. Losing the starters on the DL will hurt, but thankfully, the secondary was green last year. Hopefully with a year under their belt, they'll have more experience and will not be such a liability. Bennett's fault while at SMU has always been his inability to keep the defense off the field b/c of an impotent offense. That should not be the case this year, and I think that will in-turn help the D to perform better and help ease the younger guys into their new position. He was a great D-coordinator. If he can make them decent, the offense should be able to carry this team to at least the 7-win mark and to a bowl.

SMU will have 17k fans there.. there were 17k SMU fans at the San Jose State game in 04 after going 0-12 the year before. It's early enough in the season, after last year's decent record, there will be a good turnout by SMUers. The Tech game will probably key to the attendance being any higher. The last 2 times SMU played Tech at home, the scores were around 24-14 and 27-16 or some such. If it's the same again, I'd look for some excitement and more to show up.

I predict 28,071 in Attendance. Final Score? 27-17, SMU.

Edited by SouthernMustang

Moving players into a new system is always hard for a coach. Sometimes even those that appear to be geniuses. Now, granted, some rosters are so completely filled to the brim with talent (Florida, LSU) that a new coach can come in and win 9-10 games in his first year. However, some coaches that are highly regarded go into schools and don't succeed when trying to change the system at first (Nebraska, Colorado). Both of the coaches at these programs will get things moving in the right direction (and look for Nebraska to post 9-10 regular season wins), but sometimes it just takes awhile. I think UNT will improve in greatly this year. UNT wasn't blown out too much, but UNT has to take care of business at home. If UNT can win their home games, and then sneak a game or 2 on the road. To an outsider, that shows improvement. And I may have gone to SMU, but I'm objective.. unless it comes to LSU or Mississippi State.

The game in Denton last year left many people perplexed I think, and probably fans of both teams at the end of the season. After the game in Denton, SMU fans gave up, and thought SHSU and Arkansas State would beat us. Then we pounded them 45-14 and 55-9 respectively. Then went on to have a somewhat respectable season. The key for SMU has been how well they play at home. Last year the only loss was Houston, and it was by 10. Sadly, we led by 10 at half-time and just couldn't score. The year before, SMU had a winning record at home.

Last year's game might have still been a L, but the combination of a green QB, the injury to DeMyron Martin, and SMU thinking they could trot out onto the field and just waltz to a W I believe played a huge factor. This year, for the first time since Bennett has been at SMU, we have a returning QB who performed excellently as he grew into the position. The o-line will finally be experienced and a strength, and has been pointed out, there is immense talent at the RB position for the Stangs this year. Special teams should be good for SMU as we return the kicker, and have a great KR.

Defense is the glaring question mark. Losing the starters on the DL will hurt, but thankfully, the secondary was green last year. Hopefully with a year under their belt, they'll have more experience and will not be such a liability. Bennett's fault while at SMU has always been his inability to keep the defense off the field b/c of an impotent offense. That should not be the case this year, and I think that will in-turn help the D to perform better and help ease the younger guys into their new position. He was a great D-coordinator. If he can make them decent, the offense should be able to carry this team to at least the 7-win mark and to a bowl.

SMU will have 17k fans there.. there were 17k SMU fans at the San Jose State game in 04 after going 0-12 the year before. It's early enough in the season, after last year's decent record, there will be a good turnout by SMUers. The Tech game will probably key to the attendance being any higher. The last 2 times SMU played Tech at home, the scores were around 24-14 and 27-16 or some such. If it's the same again, I'd look for some excitement and more to show up.

Pretty good assesment of the SMU situation...of course, we would like the score to be different. :)

Pretty good assesment of the SMU situation...of course, we would like the score to be different. :)

Plumm, is everything ok?? I think that is the shortest post I have ever seen you make! ;)

SouthernMustang - that was a very objective observation. I have to agree with much of your post. I think last year's SMU-UNT game was much closer than the score indicated. The biggest factors were; 1. Turnovers 2. D. Martin's injury 3. Woody Wilson's elusiveness

This year's game is anyone's guess. I give SMU the advantage because SMU will be the home team and returns a good, experienced QB and OL. UNT, on the other hand, will be starting from scratch on the offensive side of the ball and we play SMU in only the second game of the season so we may still be in the learning stages. Now, just because SMU has an edge, does not mean that I think SMU will come out victorious. It should be a great game.

SMU will have 17k fans there..

Only if you have a good showing vs. Tech. A bad game could lead to only about 10K showing up to the UNT game. SMU fans will not show up if they feel that they will get embarrassed again.

I don't think it will happen , because PB will not last all season if the ponies stumble out of the gate this season so he should have his team ready this year, but then again you never know.

D Martin is the key to this game. We shut him down , we win. He goes for 125 + yds , edge ponies

Edited by NT03

Thanks for your perspective.

As for this...

Plumm, is everything ok?? I think that is the shortest post I have ever seen you make! ;)

...I would like to direct your attention to another one of Plumm's posts that I actually finished

I just wanted to capture this post. It's been a while since I finished reading something Plumm wrote.

That's two noted Plumm posts that I finished, and don't use color/size to accentuate points. These sort of events need to be archived :lol:

---Too bad most SMU students and alums aren't like Southern-Mustang, who has posted on our board many time and always with respect... I have met too many of the other kind and read too many articles and heard too many "reports" during the past few decades on TV/radio that either insulted us or totally ignored our existence. I agree that SMU did not have their best game against us but I still expect us to win this one since we have so much talent returning on defense, a better offense, and I expect the team to have a lot more confidence and determination this year.... and ....surely we will not commit so many stupid errors such as unsportsmanlike penalities as we have in the past.. I expect Dodge to really shut that down. . .

I expect a 52-14 shellacking of the phonies.

Seriously, though?...I still think smu overlooks us. If that is their excuse for last season's loss. Everything I've read about this game says that we have no chance to win it (except from UNT fans). Sure they might come out ticked off and looking for payback, but as long as we don't turn the ball over we should be fine. The one thing that really worries me in this game is our secondary. I still think that Mendoza is going to call an aggresive game(translation=we won't always play a soft zone)...and that'll leave us open downfield a few times.

Edited by TIgreen01

I think you'd be surprised at the lack of hostility of most SMU people, at least recent grads, have towards UNT. I'm not saying that a good 85% of the student body isn't the topsider and croakie sporting, pastel polo wearin preppy kid (Hell, that's me). But that doesn't make people snobs. Around 50% is from out of state. Not a slam on UNT, but that means a lot of students haven't heard of it until they get to Texas. Just like your average Texas kid probably wouldn't have heard of Southern Miss or a Kent State (unless he's a die hard football fan.. like those people who are on message boards).

The people on the message boards? Well, everyone has their quacks. And I am thankful that the students I went to school with weren't as uptight and constantly angry as those over on our message board. I read it and get quite the laugh out of it. And I bet you that 90% of the people that make jokes do so in jest about UNT just b/c it's funny to see opposing teams get their tailfeathers ruffled. And for the community college, NTSU remarks -- well... $MU, SMU(t).. call it a draw.

SMU lost to UNT 24-6 on the road, and then beat Arkansas State 55-9 at home.. but just for the 52-14 remark, I am adding 4 points and saying 31-17 SMU. Now if Ole Miss will just put up 31 points total in their first 2 games, that'll be a miracle........ :angry: Coach O Must Go.

I think you'd be surprised at the lack of hostility of most SMU people, at least recent grads, have towards UNT. I'm not saying that a good 85% of the student body isn't the topsider and croakie sporting, pastel polo wearin preppy kid (Hell, that's me). But that doesn't make people snobs. Around 50% is from out of state. Not a slam on UNT, but that means a lot of students haven't heard of it until they get to Texas. Just like your average Texas kid probably wouldn't have heard of Southern Miss or a Kent State (unless he's a die hard football fan.. like those people who are on message boards).

The people on the message boards? Well, everyone has their quacks. And I am thankful that the students I went to school with weren't as uptight and constantly angry as those over on our message board. I read it and get quite the laugh out of it. And I bet you that 90% of the people that make jokes do so in jest about UNT just b/c it's funny to see opposing teams get their tailfeathers ruffled. And for the community college, NTSU remarks -- well... $MU, SMU(t).. call it a draw.

SMU lost to UNT 24-6 on the road, and then beat Arkansas State 55-9 at home.. but just for the 52-14 remark, I am adding 4 points and saying 31-17 SMU. Now if Ole Miss will just put up 31 points total in their first 2 games, that'll be a miracle........ :angry: Coach O Must Go.

Most of you know that Phil Bennettt & Darrell Dickey are close friends, right?

One of the most intruiging things (or better yet, cruel ironies) that may spring from this upcoming SMU/UNT game would be if the Mean Green were to defeat the Mustangs for the 2'nd time in a row (with still mostly DD recruits to boot) and with all that being cause for Phil Bennett's swan song at SMU because of it.

This game will have more riding on it than the average DFW area sports fan will probably ever realize. I think many of the SMU coach's family's might even have an extra roll of Tums in their purses or pockets that evening, too.

SouthernMustang, a question for you: If UNT were to win the game, do you see Phil Bennett finishing out the 2007 football season; better yet, would he even be the SMU head football coach the following week? What do you think the general concensus of SMU fandom would be if this were to occur?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I think it depends on what happens before and after the UNT game. If SMU beats Texas Tech, loses to UNT, and then went on to 7-9 games.. Bennett's fine. If the UNT game keeps him out of the bowl picture, or worse, keeps him from a winning record, then he's gone. I don't think SMU would fire Bennett until the end of the season. The only way Orsini would make a trigger move like that was if he had someone he wanted to replace Bennett, and he was 100% sure that he would accept the position. If there's one recent hire that SMU finally made the right choice on, it was Steve Orsini as AD.

However, I understand many SMU fans frustration. SMU has nicer facilities, has played in a better conference, and according to rankings has outrecruited UNT while Bennett's been at the helm. Despite the green-tinted glasses, SMU has lots to offer. It's in a great area in the middle of a big city. It's got the nicest campus in Texas (that's rankings, not me being biased), the hottest (note: I didn't say friendliest or easiest) chicas, and a great academic reputation nationally, or at least throughout the South. How SMU has continued to just SUCK at football is a huge question mark. Granted, Bennett had recruiting restrictions to deal with. But it's not like we're playing in the SEC, or even the (crappy) Big XII (sorry, had to put that in there). Rice and Tulsa have managed to generate turn arounds (though Rice's continuation is still to be seen). If he can't beat a team in the Sun Belt.. well, has he really improved? I think that's where the general frustration comes from.

Even if Bennett doesn't survive this season, it's no doubt that he's left the program in much better shape than when he took it. Even if he's not the best gameday coach, he's upgraded the talent, loosened restrictions and made the admin for athlete friendly, and created a foundation where the next person to come in wouldn't have to completely build the team from the ground up.

If he can't beat a team in the Sun Belt.. well, has he really improved? I think that's where the general frustration comes from.

And I think this is where our frustration comes from. Saying a "a team from the Sun Belt" implies that all teams from the Sun Belt should be inferior to all teams from CUSA. Should we then say Baylor is superior to Boise State? In a round robin tournament the Big XII would wipe the floor with the WAC but head to head Boise is the superior program. Likewise, it is very possible (and has been borne out if you look at Sagarins cumulatively from the last decade) that NT has the superior program when compared to SMU...again, not bias just going by rankings. :lol: I agree, SMU should have the better program for all the reasons you note. Have you, though, considered the enrollment size, availability of a wider array of majors, hotter coeds (you'll never get me to say NT's women aren't superior), or just love for the campus when it comes to NT? Recruiting rankings, if they always bore out who would be successful, should have had UT winning back to back to back national titles in recent years.

Bottom line...SMU and NT are comparable in terms of football strength. If you think your coach is holding you back then so be it. But don't cast aspersions on a conference you were 1-1 against last season.

Oh, and speaking of Rice...since you use them as a program that has "managed to generate a turnaround"...they got hammered by the champion of the lil' ol' Sun Belt.

Edited by emmitt01

And I think this is where our frustration comes from. Saying a "a team from the Sun Belt" implies that all teams from the Sun Belt should be inferior to all teams from CUSA. Should we then say Baylor is superior to Boise State? In a round robin tournament the Big XII would wipe the floor with the WAC but head to head Boise is the superior program. Likewise, it is very possible (and has been borne out if you look at Sagarins cumulatively from the last decade) that NT has the superior program when compared to SMU...again, not bias just going by rankings. :lol: I agree, SMU should have the better program for all the reasons you note. Have you, though, considered the enrollment size, availability of a wider array of majors, hotter coeds (you'll never get me to say NT's women aren't superior), or just love for the campus when it comes to NT? Recruiting rankings, if they always bore out who would be successful, should have had UT winning back to back to back national titles in recent years.

Bottom line...SMU and NT are comparable in terms of football strength. If you think your coach is holding you back then so be it. But don't cast aspersions on a conference you were 1-1 against last season.

Oh, and speaking of Rice...since you use them as a program that has "managed to generate a turnaround"...they got hammered by the champion of the lil' ol' Sun Belt.

Right.. I don't disagree. I was saying why SMU fans were disgruntled. I don't doubt that some top teams in certain conferences can knock off others. However, perception is reality in the sports world -- just like it is in pretty much everything. Arguably, the Sun Belt -- top to bottom -- is the weakest of the non-BCS conferences. That's not to say there can't be some top teams that would knock off teams in other conferences, or that the bottom rung teams aren't equally bad. But it's the same as SEC people getting mad when a Big XII or Big East team beats them. It's not supposed to happen. Granted, SEC fans have a lot more to back it up than CUSA fans -- but that's the general argument I think SMU fans have with losing to UNT or a Sun Belt team. Right or wrong, and that's what I was trying to point out.

And neither SMU nor UNT can hold a sniff to the caliber, quality, and quantity of women found in Oxford, MS. Come to The Grove for one game... and you'll realize why 58,000 people still show up every weekend to watch their Rebels get slaughtered, with only 4 hotels in Oxford and none closer than Memphis or Jackson which are 1.5 and 2 hours away respectively. Hotty Toddy! Go 'Stangs, and best of luck to UNT (aside Sept. 8th? Is that the game day?)

Right.. I don't disagree. I was saying why SMU fans were disgruntled. I don't doubt that some top teams in certain conferences can knock off others. However, perception is reality in the sports world -- just like it is in pretty much everything. Arguably, the Sun Belt -- top to bottom -- is the weakest of the non-BCS conferences. That's not to say there can't be some top teams that would knock off teams in other conferences, or that the bottom rung teams aren't equally bad. But it's the same as SEC people getting mad when a Big XII or Big East team beats them. It's not supposed to happen. Granted, SEC fans have a lot more to back it up than CUSA fans -- but that's the general argument I think SMU fans have with losing to UNT or a Sun Belt team. Right or wrong, and that's what I was trying to point out.

And neither SMU nor UNT can hold a sniff to the caliber, quality, and quantity of women found in Oxford, MS. Come to The Grove for one game... and you'll realize why 58,000 people still show up every weekend to watch their Rebels get slaughtered, with only 4 hotels in Oxford and none closer than Memphis or Jackson which are 1.5 and 2 hours away respectively. Hotty Toddy! Go 'Stangs, and best of luck to UNT (aside Sept. 8th? Is that the game day?)

REVISED...

Oxford, Missssissssssipppppppiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii?!?! :blink: Have they had 2 Miss Americas? :rolleyes: And our 2 Miss Americas hardly represent any semblance of a microcosim of UNT's co-eds today.

None of us are saying other schools don't have pretty co-eds, its just that UNT has more of them. Hellsbells! NT Ex Norah Jones probaby wouldn't win a beauty contest at UNT! :lol: The NT co-ed featured in this summer's Athlon's college football magazine is not too shabby looking, either. Our girl even shows up in the Big 12 edition of Athlon's, too (and all the other Athlon "specific" conference magazines, too, I'm sure).

But you are right on the perception thing, SM. Sort of another reason some of us older nestors cannnot wait for a certain implosion ceremony that will take place off North Texas Boulevard and Interstate 35-E in the near future because (like you said, SouthernMustang................ perception is reality ).

I think the the SBC bested the CUSA in football wins last year when our 2 leagues teams competed against each other (of which one included a bowl win), but FWIW.................... none of our schools won a college football national championship 70 years ago, either. Perception can really last a very long time.

Perception is definitely something that takes awhile to change, but it can be done. Many of us believe a 40,000 seat stadium at our (already) magnificent Mean Green Village (someone want to provide a photo link?) will play a huge part in changing much of ours; especially to those hundreds of thousands who merely drive close-by our campus off those 2 Texas interstates on an annual basis. Our new football stadium will be located on prime interstate real estate, ie, right between I35-E and I35-W. The south endzone part of that new stadium (the A/C) is already complete; but talk about your prime location for a college football stadium?!?!? :thumbsup:

I believe it was Florida State that was even talking about dropping football on the eve of their mult-decades run of college football success. The perception of the Seminoles program is in pretty good shape I believe we'd all tend to agree?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Good points PlummMG on the perception. And it's not impossile to change, but I think most fans of any school realize how hard it is to change perception. It takes time, and it takes more than 1 season. If the SBC keeps beating up on other non-BCS conferences, it's rep will improve. But having programs like Memphis, UTEP, Southern Miss, and Marshall that have won recently (and draw very excellent crowds), and teams like UH, SMU, Tulane, Rice that used to be powerhouses back in the day in the bigger conferences will give them the edge media perception wise just b/c they're not new and there is some, albeit dwindling if things don't improve, familiarity. And b/c of that, the fans of the schools in that conference will buy into it. Granted, keep winning and the preception will change - like it did at Florida State. Although a feat like that I would argue is impossible, TCU/BYU and Boise State are pretty much the bar and ceiling for non-BCS schools, right or wrong.

But, sorry, you are wrong on one thing. I've been to UNT, and out on Fry Street. I've been to SMU (obviously), and out numerous times with the lovely (and f'ng loaded) Sorority gals.. and I've been to Oxford, and basically grew up there on wknds in the fall. Bar None. No comparison. I'd put $500 down that if you went to The Grove, you'd be yelling Hotty Toddy and your jaw wouldn't come up. Ole Miss is not "Mississippi," that's Miss-Stake (redneck WT peeps). Ole Miss is the finest collection of Southern belles and debutantes from the South East. Ugly girls won't go there b/c they know they won't fit in, haha. There's a reason Sports Illustrated said Ole Miss fans don't really care if they don't win every game. "At this school, they don't red shirt football players, they redshirt Miss Americas." In an undergrad of about 12,000, which is roughly 50% female, I'd say 85% of them are hot (Thank you Title IX)... that's the beauty of it. And you won't find a better college town to charm them in than Oxford. Some excellent high quality dining, and one of the oldest fine department stores in the South. Like the t-shirts say... Hey, we might not win every game, but we'll NEVER lose a party.

Ole Miss fans don't really care if they don't win every game. "At this school, they don't red shirt football players, they redshirt Miss Americas." In an undergrad of about 12,000, which is roughly 50% female, I'd say 85% of them are hot (Thank you Title IX)... that's the beauty of it. And you won't find a better college town to charm them in than Oxford. Some excellent high quality dining, and one of the oldest fine department stores in the South. Like the t-shirts say... Hey, we might not win every game, but we'll NEVER lose a party.

--Maybe I should retract some of kind remarks about Southern-Stang.

Winning every game?? --- that sure isn't an Ol'Miss problem... their past two years looks similar to our past two.

Finest in the South.... ok.... I really don't consider Texas "the South"..... We are in the Southwest with three cities in the largest 10 in America....When my family settled on the WESTERN frontier. they meant Texas... not Mississippi or any other Southern state..All these old WESTERNS (movies) mention Texas often, not southern states.. The Southwest when including Oklahoma and New Mexico is likely larger than "Then South"... Billy the Kid (West Texas/New Mexico), Sam Bass (Denton) and Wes Hardin (shot/killed Brownwood deputy sheriff) and even Cole Younger (lived in Ft. Worth but appeared in Brownwood rather often) are WESTERN outlaws in Texas but in not Mississippi. Texas is not really a Southern State, just south of many states.

--I guess you are telling us Ol' Miss is a party school... I had not noticed the state listed near in top in academics anyway or even mentioned as headquarters of major companies including any in the modern Tech-industry as in TI etc...

12,000 ..that is a little over 1/3 the size of North Texas but larger than SMU ..not very large for the leading state-supported school in a state. .

Does Oxford have great Mexican food places...?? darn... my favorite food out here in West Texas....

PS: Old ain't necessarily good... if so .. then I am great. If old is good then black/white TVs with vacuum tubes are great.... I'll pass for my hi-def color one with TEXAS-Instrument chips (DLP).

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

I will say this for SouthernStang, there is one tradition that I wouldn't have minded existing in Denton back when I was a student....the girls all dressing up in sun dresses for the football games. I actually caught one of their games on tv last fall and all the shots coming in and out of commercials were focused squarely on the student section behind one of the endzones.

I will say this for SouthernStang, there is one tradition that I wouldn't have minded existing in Denton back when I was a student....the girls all dressing up in sun dresses for the football games. I actually caught one of their games on tv last fall and all the shots coming in and out of commercials were focused squarely on the student section behind one of the endzones.

hmmmm---- They could help---- if those girls were in the endzone of where OUR team was trying to get score... Would give the players on our side an incentive to get there (better scenery) and might even mess up the opponent some if he was looking over his shoulder as the play starts. It would mean we need to fill the stands better in order to fill those seat with da frauleins.