Tre' Newton's Not Getting Any Love From Ut Fans

gangrene

Here's a post from one UT fan at InsideTexas.com

UTGrad91

873 posts this site

Posted on 6/30/2007 8:39 AM

Re: Decommitment

I also think this is a win win situation. Dodge would have been a career backup at UT whether at qb or db or wherever. At UNT he will likely be the man at qb. UT will have the chance now to replace his scholie with someone who could be a bigger contributor to the team.

If Newton decides to go to UNT as well I don't see that as a big loss either. He's good and it would be nice to sign him but he's not special and we could easily replace him with a RB of like ability or better either in this class or 2009.

And, here's a similar comment from a UT fan at hornfans.com

oraclehorn

100+ posts

06/30/07 12:55 AM

Re: Dodge to UNT? [re: RomaVicta]

Newton is looking to follow, which i don't think hurts Texas near as much as some would say. Also, Dodge had no real shot to play DB or WR for Texas.

UTGrad91

873 posts this site

I also think this is a win win situation. Dodge would have been a career backup at UT whether at qb or db or wherever. At UNT he will likely be the man at qb. UT will have the chance now to replace his scholie with someone who could be a bigger contributor to the team.

If Newton decides to go to UNT as well I don't see that as a big loss either. He's good and it would be nice to sign him but he's not special and we could easily replace him with a RB of like ability or better either in this class or 2009.

oraclehorn

100+ posts

Newton is looking to follow, which i don't think hurts Texas near as much as some would say. Also, Dodge had no real shot to play DB or WR for Texas.

They may not think its a big loss but it would be a coup for us to get Tre.

rollbabyroll

49 posts this site

Posted on 6/30/2007 4:11 PM

Good luck to Riley from here as well and thanks for considering The Horns. It will be nice for Todd to build a strong team at UNT. Riley is one hell of a competitor and athlete. He might have been exceptional at UT, one never know. And thanks to MB for offering. That is why MB is so respected among the Texas high school coaches.

This was the best post in the thread. Just shows not all t-sips are A$$holes. Mack Brown does have the respect of the Texas high school coaches, but so does Todd Dodge.

We do not need Tre Newton, we now need Offensive Lineman and some guys on Defense.

UMMMMMMMM...wow...no. Tre Newton signing here wouldn't just be Tre Newton signing...it would be a clear indication that we have established a pipeline with the most successful Texas High School Football program of the last 5 years. Forget that Newton would be the best recruit we ever landed, forget that he would push C'Mo for time in 2008, and forget that he would be a 3 year starter begining in 09...with a nice complimentary back in Micah Mosely (who I'm very high on) for 2 of those years...forget all of that. If Tre signs it is an indication that we are legitimatly competing with the big boys in Texas for recruits now...even if it starts with our coaches former high school.

Schools always need OL and talented defensive players...you need to be reloading there every recruiting class...but to say we don't need Tre Newton is very short sighted, and ignores all the incredible benefits it affords our program before he even takes a snap at the first practice.

I think the UT board is the only place that's talking about Tre possibly coming to UNT. I don't think his Dad would let him come here, but I hope he does.

I know Nate said Nt can't afford Tre but didn't Nate go to Florida A&M should he really be talking about our program.

This was the best post in the thread. Just shows not all t-sips are A$$holes. Mack Brown does have the respect of the Texas high school coaches, but so does Todd Dodge.

No, in fact, most UT fans had only positive things to say about both Riley and Todd because Todd is one of them. Most wished Riley their best wishes and some were even sad to see him go. But a few bozos not only trashed Riley but they trashed a current commit in Tre' Newton as well. Personally, I feel that Tre' has/had a better shot at seeing the football field than Riley, but the competition at RB will be just as fierce as any other position at UT.

On the other hand, Tre' could come to North Texas and figure into the mix pretty quickly.

We do not need Tre Newton, we now need Offensive Lineman and some guys on Defense.

I am honestly shocked that you would say that. Tre' Newton is ranked #37 in the state and we are not in the position to turn down any state top 100 player at any position. I agree that we need some top-rated OL but that's the hardest position to recruit IMO. " Some guys on defense"??? It sounds like you're preparing for a pick-up game.

I am honestly shocked that you would say that. Tre' Newton is ranked #37 in the state and we are not in the position to turn down any state top 100 player at any position. I agree that we need some top-rated OL but that's the hardest position to recruit IMO. " Some guys on defense"??? It sounds like you're preparing for a pick-up game.

You'll have to forgive Dodge2007, there are times when he believes he is running the program.

I just think he's scared Tre Newton will put Danny Meager even lower on the RB depth when he is inevitably moved there.

But will he be ahead of Woody?

Maybe I'm stupid -- there may be some empirical data on that -- but I don't think a national champion HC hands out offers to players he doesn't think can contribute in some genuine way to another national championship.

But if you listen to some of the UT fans, Brown's lack of a fuss over the RD & supposedly possible TN switches suggests that he routinely offers skollies to marginal players whose departure would make no difference.

In that light, it's MB who might not be getting the love from his own herd.

Amazing.

Maybe I'm stupid -- there may be some empirical data on that -- but I don't think a national champion HC hands out offers to players he doesn't think can contribute in some genuine way to another national championship.

But if you listen to some of the UT fans, Brown's lack of a fuss over the RD & supposedly possible TN switches suggests that he routinely offers skollies to marginal players whose departure would make no difference.

In that light, it's MB who might not be getting the love from his own herd.

Amazing.

Good points, especially the one in the first sentence of your post, Green to the Bone.

FWIW................Tre' Newton would receive unconditional love from the entire Mean Green Nation.

UTGrad91

873 posts this site

oraclehorn

100+ posts

If these thoughts and comments are coming from UT fan then its okay because they can replace whatever losses they have in recruits at any time. Plus I feel UT fans are being pretty humble about the whole situation.