Scatter Shooting

MeanGreen61

OK, it's the slow season, so ...........................

ATTENDANCE

1. Will the FAU home opener exceed 25,000 ? The first Dodge Ball game at Fouts ? :unsure:

2. Could the Mean Green actually have more in attendance that smoo at Ford, making their home stadium more green than red ? :rolleyes:

3. Could/will the Navy game set a single game attendance record at Fouts, exceeding the 29.437 at the '03 Baylor game ? :unsure:

4. Will the first year of Dodge Ball set a North Texas all time season record for attendance/average attendance ? :rolleyes:

TEAM SURPRISES

Seen this quote ? "Dodge has the offense, but doesn't have the players for his offense".

1. Are there more players on the team that have come from and are familiar with a spread type offense than people realize ? :blink:

2. Can/will TD's system of coaching/teaching move this team into the new offense quicker than expected ? :blink:

3. Frequently on other boards, it's predicted that Meager will throw a bunch of picks. If he is the starting QB, will we see a totally different Meager that's a weapon and not viewed as a liability ? :unsure:

4. Will discipline and coaching make this team harder to beat because they no longer shoot themselves in the foot with the usual rash of drive stopping, stupid penalties ? :rolleyes:

5. Does anyone here really beleive that this team will finish as low as most of the prognostigators predict or will they be the surprise team of the Belt and put Mean back in the Green ? :rolleyes:

GOLDEN PARACHUTE

I've seen a few post indicating, right or wrong, that the WAC would only consider going to 10 if North Texas were to say yes.

1. Is North Texas the only Sun Belt team that could actually have another option by just saying "yes" to another conference ? Not advocating anything, but is this option actually there because of Tech's isolation ? :blink:

To answer 1 and 2 of the surprises, I think the offense will be picked up by the team a lot quicker than many think. Just because the offense was explosive at SLC doesn't mean it's complicated. I think it is a relatively easy to learn offense, that is fun to learn, and fun to play in. Dodge doesn't pile up yards because he has drawn up complex schemes, he piles up yards because he demands perfect execution of the plays they run.

I think the defense will take longer to pick up the new system completely than the offense.

ATTENDANCE

1. Will the FAU home opener exceed 25,000 ? The first Dodge Ball game at Fouts ?

No (FAU will not have more than 10 people in the stands)

2. Could the Mean Green actually have more in attendance that smoo at Ford, making their home stadium more green than red ?

No (Hard core Mean Green fans will make it to Dallas; casual students will not)

3. Could/will the Navy game set a single game attendance record at Fouts, exceeding the 29.437 at the '03 Baylor game ?

No (See #1 response)

4. Will the first year of Dodge Ball set a North Texas all time season record for attendance/average attendance ?

No (How many did we average when we inflated ticket sales to become D1 eligible?)

I heard former UNT AD Andy Everest once say: "If North Texas were only located another 30 miles north we would not have competition from all the various things DFW'ers can do on a Game Day."

IMHO.............I think too much will be put on Todd Dodges shoulders to get all the extra new fans/old fans that when all the turnstile counts are in we may still be disappointed with the totals. How soon can we jump to 25-30,000 per home game in Denton? We have the constituency to have already done that.

I think most any of the 3 Metroplex NCAA D1-A schools should promote their college football product as if there were no tomorrrows, specificaly UNT (of course) since that is our school.

The subject of Game Week/Game Day promotions starts warming up about this time every year, especially on the forum. Maybe it will be this year we see more promotions at UNT since we do have a new era, a new coach, new unis, new ___?___ and new attitudes to boot. Of course, promotions has to be budgetted and the only 2 schools most of us have ever seen do that the last umpteen years has been SMU and TCU. Maybe our time to do such has now come? We can only hope...

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

ATTENDANCE

4. Will the first year of Dodge Ball set a North Texas all time season record for attendance/average attendance ?

No (How many did we average when we inflated ticket sales to become D1 eligible?)

1997 - Highest attendance average.........19,704 (Included A&M at Texas Stadium)

1994 - Attendance average ........19,517

Cooley, minimal Navy fans attending ? Disagree. Navy usually has a decent number of fans in attendance anywhere as a visiting team.

Edited by MeanGreen61

Guest GrayEagleOne

Most of the answers are yes.

Those that are not include #2 attendance. SMU will not allow the embarassment of being outnumbered by us so they will either limit the number of UNT tickets or assure themselves that they will have the majority before releasing more tickets to us.

Surprises #3 is somewhat of a no answer IMO. We will see an improved Meager because plays are designed to get rid of the ball quickly. Meager is still not the most accurate passer that will be on the team but he is the most experienced and will start as long as he is effective. If Meager becomes a liability, then look for Vizza to become the starter.

The #5 question under surprises is also a no. We will not be as bad as the prognosticators predict which is mostly 6th, 7th or 8th. I think that we finish third, fourth at worst. We lost several games last year because we couldn't score points, especially touchdowns. I think that you'll see great improvement in our scoring ability this year.

Finally, the last question has a no answer. We were the first one asked but not the only one.

And, how will this defense react to getting some rest in the game? Do they know how to get on the field without gasping for air? They may see some time on the sidelines... can they handle that change?

Edited by gruu

OK, it's the slow season, so ...........................

ATTENDANCE

1.Totally dependent on SMU game. A win at SMU and 25k or over is a very good possibility for the first home game.

2. I think it is entirely possible that NT have more fans than SMU, although in the past a good crowd from NT at either SMU or TCU has been in the 3 to 5k range. Those thinking SMU will some how curtail NT attendance are being unusually paranoid. Being outnumbered at Ford is not exactly a new experience for SMU, There has been only one away game that NT has taken over 10k and that was the first Texas game, ages ago.

3. The Navy game could set a single game record but it will be difficult. Baylor had a good group and a lot of free or near free tickets were given out at the record game. Also a promotional company that guaranteed a sell out were employed. I wonder if they returned their fees not getting the promised sell out.

4. I think it will be at least the most legitimate highest attendance average ever at Fouts. The records cited consisted of the 1aa to 1a requirements years were there were thousands of very cheap seats purchased but never used and the other year average was wholly because of a Texas Stadium game with Texas A&M.

TEAM SURPRISES

Seen this quote ? "Dodge has the offense, but doesn't have the players for his offense".

1. I think Dodge will develop a capable QB and he will have the numbers at WR to find an effective group. My biggest worry is the offensive line which was horrilbe last year and graduated it's two best players. Judging from the spring the line was at least adequate on the quick release pass patterns, but still very bad at run blocking.

2. I believe by mid-season the offense will be in gear.

3. I have always believed Meager was much better than the majority have thought. Meager is a gutsy QB with better than average speed and he has by far the most experience, however Vizza may be something very special.

4. I think there will be improvement in the elements outlined, however the biggest difference is gotting to be an offense that can score.

5. NT will be in the NO Bowl race. I think the rest of the league is going to be surprized. Despite opinions, the Belt is not getting substantially better and NT barely lost to Troy last year with absolutely no offense and DD as coach.

[i've seen a few post indicating, right or wrong, that the WAC would only consider going to 10 if North Texas were to say yes.

1. NT made a wise decision saying no to the WAC. I doubt if they are going to get another chance. I think the WAC had rather get rid of La Tech than to expand further East.

MY RESPONSES IN CAPS.

ATTENDANCE

1. Will the FAU home opener exceed 25,000 ? The first Dodge Ball game at Fouts ? :unsure: IT'S ENTIRELY POSSIBLE AND PLAUSIBLE. IF YOU TAKE THE SPRING GAME AS A BENCHMARK OF THE INTEREST IN DODGE'S PROGRAM REVIVAL WE WOULD HAVE OVER 5 TIMES THE NORMAL 20K+ ATTENDANCE.

2. Could the Mean Green actually have more in attendance that smoo at Ford, making their home stadium more green than red ? :rolleyes: NO I THINK SMU IS STARTING TO BUILD INTEREST HOWEVER IF WE PLAY WELL AT OU I THINK IT COULD BE ONE OF OUR BIGGEST NON-CONFERENCE ATTENDED GAMES EVER. I THINK A LOT OF LOCALS WILL ATTEND JUST OUT OF INTEREST.

3. Could/will the Navy game set a single game attendance record at Fouts, exceeding the 29.437 at the '03 Baylor game ? :unsure: I THINK THAT DEPENDS ON HOW IT IS PROMOTED. IF WE GET THE SERVICE PEOPLE THERE FOR FREE OR AT A DEEP DISCOUNT IT WILL RIVAL THE BAYLOR GAME.

4. Will the first year of Dodge Ball set a North Texas all time season record for attendance/average attendance ? :rolleyes: I THINK THIS IS A LONGSHOT BECAUSE WE DON'T HAVE A REGIONAL BIG 12 FOE LIKE BAYLOR OR OKIE STATE. IT COULD DEPENDING ON HOW WELL WE PLAY. IF WE ARE IN THE HUNT FOR THE SBC LATE IT COULD BE A GREAT GREAT SEASON.

TEAM SURPRISES

1. Are there more players on the team that have come from and are familiar with a spread type offense than people realize ? :blink: I THINK THERE ARE JUST NOT ENOUGH OF THEM. YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER WE HAVE 4-5 TIGHT ENDS THAT STILL AREN'T SURE WHAT POSITION THEY PLAY. LINEMEN ARE USED TO RUN BLOCKING PRIMARILY AND THE ENTIRE OFFENSE WAS VERY FOCUSED ON PLAY ACTION.

2. Will the Dodge system of coaching/teaching move this team into the new offense quicker than expected ? :blink: YES!

3. Frequently on other boards, it's predicted that Meager will throw a bunch of picks. If he is the starting QB, will we see a totally different Meager that's a weapon and not viewed as a liability ? :unsure: I THINK DANNY WILL PLAY WELL. HE HAS BEEN REBORN IN THIS SYSTEM. HIS BIGGEST ISSUE IS CONFIDENCE. DANNY HAS THE CHANCE TO BE A TWO YEAR STARTER FOR THIS PROGRAM UNDER DODGE OR HE WILL BE A TRANSITIONAL QB THAT WILL PASS THE REIGNS ON TO THE ITALIAN STALLION. IT'S UP TO HIM.

4. Will discipline and coaching make this team harder to beat because they no longer shoot themselves in the foot with the usual rash of drive stopping, stupid penalties ? :rolleyes: I THINK THAT THIS MAY BE THE BIGGEST AREA OF IMPROVEMENT. WHEN YOU WATCH SOUTHLAKE THEY WOULD OCCAISIONALLY GET PENALTIES FOR OVER AGRESSION AND MAN THE POOR BASTARDS THAT WE CAUGHT WERE TREATED LIKE LEPERS ON THE SIDELINES.

5. Does anyone here really beleive that this team will finish as low as most of the prognostigators predict or will they be the surprise team of the Belt and put Mean back in the Green ? :rolleyes: I THINK THIS WILL BE A TOUGH YEAR BECAUSE THEY ARE TRYING TO CHANGE A PHILOSOPHY ENGRAINED FOR CLOSE TO A DECADE. DICKEY LEFT THE FRONT LINES IN A SHAMBLES. I THINK SIGNS OF THE FUTURE WILL START SHOWING IN MIDSEASON AND EVEN THOUGH WE DON'T WIN THE BELT THERE IS MAJOR REASONS FOR OPTIMISM LATE IN THE YEAR.

GOLDEN PARACHUTE

I've seen a few post indicating, right or wrong, that the WAC would only consider going to 10 if North Texas were to say yes.

1. Is North Texas the only Sun Belt team that could actually have another option by just saying "yes" to another conference ? Not advocating anything, but is this option actually there because of Tech's isolation ? :blink: I THINK THAT NORTH TEXAS HAS THE STRONGEST CASE TO BE ADMITTED IN CUSA OF ALL OF THE SUN BELT TEAMS BECAUSE OF LOCATION AND SIZE. I ALSO THINK THAT NORTH TEXAS HAS MORE POLITICAL ENEMIES ESPECIALLY AMONG THE PRIVATE SCHOOLS BECAUSE OF OUR POTENTIAL TO DOMINATE. I THINK SMU IS IN THE DRIVERS SEAT AS FAR AS CUSA LEADERSHIP BECAUSE GERALD TURNER HAS DONE SUCH A GREAT JOB AND THEM HAVING SO MUCH POWER MIGHT NOT BODE WELL FOR US.

The attendance will figure in on how well we play at OU and SMU. But gee whiz, just look at the spring game for what our potential is?

I'm with COACH on the offense. The motivation for the players to workout, play, improve has completely changed. There's no telling how much improvement we may see in this team. But I'm reminded of how damn well ULL adapted to their new system a year ago and how well MTSU turned their ship around too. Night to day, and right now that's the change we are hoping for, "Night to Day".

Absolutely "NO" to the WAC in any current form. I like, plan and look very forward to my roadtrips to see the Mean Green play out of town.

Attendance for the Navy game? Look at how well people showed up for the Army game in that crap hole Texas Stadium? I was impressed how many people showed up for them then, and Navy is a much better team today than Army was then. This was a great move by the AD to get this game here.

Rick

Inside sources told me that Navy has already taken 7,000 for our game. What an impact a large attendance from our visitors will have on total game day attendance.

If Navy brought 7,000, wouldn't that be a "visitors" attendance record for Fout Field? I don't think neither TCU or Baylor actually brought those kind of numbers, did they?

I'm sure the NAFB (formerly Carswell AFB) out here in the West O' Plex will be very involved with this game in Denton. Many DFW veterans use the BX for their discount shopping. And doesn't Grand Prairie also have a military installation?

When UNT hosted Army @ Texas Stadium back in 199?, I was impressed with (whatever) numbers they had in the stadium for that game. Of course, for the many of us who've seen more than a few games at Fouts Field, over the course of all those decades we've rarely seen impressive visitor numbers in the stands on Game Day. And for all those ex SWC schools that didn't make the Big 12 cut, that is probably one of their prime reasons they miss all those Longhorns, Aggies, Red Raiders and yes, even Baylor bringing all their traveling fans to their respective venues on Game Day.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Navy has a nice National following. They will bring about 10,000 for this game. Depending on UNT success, this might set the all-time attendance record.

Depending on how the season is going, there might not be room for 10,000 of Navy's fans. This game has the potential to set the all-time attendance record though.

Guest GrayEagleOne

If Navy brought 7,000, wouldn't that be a "visitors" attendance record for Fout Field? I don't think neither TCU or Baylor actually brought those kind of numbers, did they?

I'm sure the NAFB (formerly Carswell AFB) out here in the West O' Plex will be very involved with this game in Denton. Many DFW veterans use the BX for their discount shopping. And doesn't Grand Prairie also have a military installation?

When UNT hosted Army @ Texas Stadium back in 199?, I was impressed with (whatever) numbers they had in the stadium for that game. Of course, for the many of us who've seen more than a few games at Fouts Field, over the course of all those decades we've rarely seen impressive visitor numbers in the stands on Game Day. And for all those ex SWC schools that didn't make the Big 12 cut, that is probably one of their prime reasons they miss all those Longhorns, Aggies, Red Raiders and yes, even Baylor bringing all their traveling fans to their respective venues on Game Day.

Jim, NAS Dallas (@Grand Prairie) moved to the old Carswell AFB in 1994. It eventually became NAS Fort Worth JRB (Naval Air Station Fort Worth Joint Reserve Base). I believe that it is home to a couple of Navy and Marine Corps Wings. It is also home to at least one Air Force Wing. I'm not sure of the size of the ship's company (personnel) but believe it to be two or three thousand. I believe that they do have a rather large SS, BX, or PX (whatever they're calling it) that serves a large number of retired military. And remember, Navy is the service academy for both the Navy and the Marine Corps, so they have a very large following of former sailors and marines.

I don't know if it's true (or even if they keep such records) but someone posted that the 6,000 that Baylor brought was the largest visiting contingent to Fouts in our history. The largest visiting crowd was approximately 20,000 when we were home to A&M em at Texas Stadium, as you know. Navy has a nice following but they can't approach those numbers.

The majority of active Navy is in the Corpus Christi area; a naval station and a naval air station. I doubt that any will make that trip.

Regarding the Army game at TS, I heard that seveal large units from Fort Hood boosted that attendance.