Could We Be Adding Hawaii To Our Schedule

NT03

University of Hawaii has a open date on 11/03 and is seeking an opponent to fill the void. We are open that date and one of my fellow alumnus & former college roommates who currently resides in Hawaii said he thought he heard that UNT was one of the 2 schools being considered. I don't know if this is even somewhat true b/c he didn't know how reliable his source was. Would be a nice trip , but I don't know what the athletic budget currently looks like.

http://www.kgmb.com/kgmb/display.cfm?story...02&sid=1183

If its as an away game don't count on it unless its one helluva payout. Would definitely be an exciting game with these 2 offenses though.

Hawaii usually pays the travel for visitors. Last year they almost had to play Fresno twice to get 12 games. It would definitely beat Western Kentucky on Thanksgiving weekend at home.

If it were a break-even proposition, I'd like to see it happen. It would be a nice bonus for a lot of hard work by our players.

I'm not sure how much of a bonus it is for the players. How much do they get to enjoy Hawaii on a trip like that? You spend two days traveling (8 hours in the air, as I recall). So, you go out on a Friday, let's say....you get there.....you have to maybe practice while there, have team meetings before the game. etc. . I mean, other than seeing the place, what would they get to do? They sure wouldn't get to go to the beach and do much fun stuff.

Now, if we had an Open Date the week after the Hawaii game, I'd have no problem with. But, we don't. We have the game that many of us have circled on the calendar since it was scheduled: Navy on November 10.

So, if you want a jet-lagged team, coming back and trying to get ready for Navy.....realize that this trip lessens your chances of beating Navy.

Also, Hawaii has a bunch of thugs on their team. They seldom lose at home, because the other team's players' minds are not on the game.

Finally, when you schedule Hawaii, you usually do it so, that it can help you in recruiting. This won't help that, at all.

Anyway, after re-reading the article , I don't think we'll be playing there anyway. How the heck does a game with us, upgrade their schedule? (in the way the article said that the incoming team would do).

Edited by Green Means Go!

Also, Hawaii has a bunch of thugs on their team. They seldom lose at home, because the other team's players' minds are not on the game.

Not sure where you got that, but okay. I've actually heard that they have a higher percentage of Samoans on their roster, which associates them with a very down-to-Earth culture (but hits really hard on the field lol).

Sorta-related story:

I met a Samoan once. HUGE shoulders. He stood about 5'9 or 5'10, but lifted an upright piano onto his back on his own (He worked for a piano moving company). He was also barefoot, which I think is consistent with what Samoans prefer. His demeanor was so gentle and quiet.

Either way, I think the only good game at Hawaii is a bowl game. The travel REALLY takes a toll on the visitor (I've heard it's 10-12 hours), and the players can get distracted and lose a game due to lack of focus.

Either way, I think the only good game at Hawaii is a bowl game. The travel REALLY takes a toll on the visitor (I've heard it's 10-12 hours), and the players can get distracted and lose a game due to lack of focus.

If i remember right it's an 8 hr direct flight from dallas but with the time chage I think it's 4hrs there and 12 on the way back but I haven't made that flight in about 5 years.

I'm not sure how much of a bonus it is for the players. How much do they get to enjoy Hawaii on a trip like that? You spend two days traveling (8 hours in the air, as I recall). So, you go out on a Friday, let's say....you get there.....you have to maybe practice while there, have team meetings before the game. etc. . I mean, other than seeing the place, what would they get to do? They sure wouldn't get to go to the beach and do much fun stuff.

Now, if we had an Open Date the week after the Hawaii game, I'd have no problem with. But, we don't. We have the game that many of us have circled on the calendar since it was scheduled: Navy on November 10.

So, if you want a jet-lagged team, coming back and trying to get ready for Navy.....realize that this trip lessens your chances of beating Navy.

Finally, when you schedule Hawaii, you usually do it so, that it can help you in recruiting. This won't help that, at all.

Anyway, after re-reading the article , I don't think we'll be playing there anyway. How the heck does a game with us, upgrade their schedule? (in the way the article said that the incoming team would do).

Agree 100 %...

U of Hawaii was involved in that very well coverered bru-ha-ha a couple years ago against (wasn't it the Houston Coogs)?

Lived in Honolulu back in the early 70's and it is about 8 hours in the air (for me in a rainbow-colored 747 Braniff Jumbo Jet back in that day when they flew out of of Love Field).

Also wish we could schedule it in 2008 or 2009 so we can use it as a recruiting tool with a game versus UH being such a nice trip on our schedule. Only thing is once there, some of our players may get hooked on body-surfing out at Nanakulie Beach and not want to come back to their hotel (or Denton, Texas, America, for that matter). :lol:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Not sure where you got that, but okay. I've actually heard that they have a higher percentage of Samoans on their roster, which associates them with a very down-to-Earth culture (but hits really hard on the field lol).

Sorta-related story:

I met a Samoan once. HUGE shoulders. He stood about 5'9 or 5'10, but lifted an upright piano onto his back on his own (He worked for a piano moving company). He was also barefoot, which I think is consistent with what Samoans prefer. His demeanor was so gentle and quiet.

If you really want to have some fun, ask our friends at Louisiana Tech about Hawaii :rolleyes:

Hawaii usually pays the travel for visitors. Last year they almost had to play Fresno twice to get 12 games. It would definitely beat Western Kentucky on Thanksgiving weekend at home.

??????

What are you talking about? Play Fresno (a conference mate) twice?

Hawaii is a VERY tough place to play. And, this late, I doubt it would be an equitable deal...a one and done type thing. They've got 12 scheduled, but they are allowed 13 every year. If I were the AD, I wouldn't do it, but I'm not the AD.

Would be a dream game but the team would most likely arrive on Thursday to acclimate to the change, play a night game on Saturday in a hostile Aloha Stadium crowd. They have a strong Heismann candidate and they hit their stride later in the season as they push to their annual Hawaii Bowl appearance!

Needless to say it would be a test but Dodgeball is going to approach tests much differently than our previous regime did.

It would be a fun 4.5 hour affair!

GMG