Just Say "no" To Conference Usa

UNTflyer

"Just Say "no" To Conference Usa" ?

Ummm, a BIG NO to that idea. Turn down a regional 1-A conference with SMUt, Tulsa, Houston, UTEP, Rice, et al? Are you nuts? NT can't turn down an offer like that. MWC? Might as well push for Big 12 membership.

Edited by NT80

UNT in the Mountain West Conference? What a new and novel idea... :rolleyes:

To CUSA Advocates: As long as a certain Texas school located in a certain part of Texas has their doors open for business, UNT will never (I know, never say never but I think I can with this) anyway, UNT will not be sponsored as as yet another Lone Star-based school in that conference. Too many Texas schools became a problem for Frank Broyles' Razorbacks if some of you older nestors will recall. Aren'th there just some things that past history should teach us all at UNT?

Hellsbells! Some CUSA fans will not even drive (en mass) as far as it is from UNT to TWU to go watch the Rice Owls and Houston Cougars tee it up. The attendace at many ex SWC/now CUSA schools (versus each other) may give some a broad hint as to why none of that group were asked to join the Big 12. (Seems it was mostly TCU who turned their lemons into lemonade after the SWC broke up, but FWIW............ they weren't doing jack-shi& most of their few last decades in the now defunct Southwest Conference.

The same CUSA/ex SWC schools who would not vote for UNT to be admitted for SWC membership (still) mostly all have the same attitude toward us thats showed up the past several years (decades) when we were merely trying to schedule even a simple home and home series. Even when we get the occassional future games with them, it's almost like they are doing us a favor if they put us on their future football schedules (and yes, I know, even 1, maybe 2 of them are on our future football schedules now); but scheduling occasional games with CUSA schools and being in the same conference with them are like apples and oranges.

GET USED TO THE SUN BELT CONFERENCE............. When UNT builds a 35--40,000 seat stadium, averages about 30-40,000 per home game, beats numerous (ranked) OOC football foes, gets Top 25 rankings (a la Boise State) and our (then) UNT leadership decides they want to shoot for the stars with all this, then we mabye we will be ready to make our move, but until then..............

................UNT (and schools like Muts) are going to be conference-mates in the Sun Belt Conference for awhile. So................we bloom where planted? I think most of feel that is our only realistic choice for now, but threads like this are still sorta' fun.

IMO, a new "true" NCAA D1-A football stadium out at the Mean Green Village that has those 25-35,000 plus crowds on Game Day can probably hasten a UNT move to some new conference neighborhbood, though; but who could ever know what the NCAA D1-A conference landscape will even look like when we're ready to make such a move? :unsure:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

This topic is a little like asking if I would prefer to go out with the Playmate of the Month for January or the Playmate of the Month for April. Since there is not a snowball's chance in August of either one happening perhaps I had better be really nice to the lovely Mrs. Huff.

UNT in the Mountain West Conference? What a new and novel idea... :rolleyes:

To CUSA Advocates: As long as a certain Texas school located in a certain part of Texas has their doors open for business, UNT will never (I know, never say never but I think I can with this) anyway, UNT will not be sponsored as as yet another Lone Star-based school in that conference. Too many Texas schools became a problem for Frank Broyles' Razorbacks if some of you older nestors will recall. Aren'th there just some things that past history should teach us all at UNT?

Hellsbells! Some CUSA fans will not even drive (en mass) as far as it is from UNT to TWU to go watch the Rice Owls and Houston Cougars tee it up. The attendace at many ex SWC/now CUSA schools (versus each other) may give some a broad hint as to why none of that group were asked to join the Big 12. (Seems it was mostly TCU who turned their lemons into lemonade after the SWC broke up, but FWIW............ they weren't doing jack-shi& most of their few last decades in the now defunct Southwest Conference.

The same CUSA/ex SWC schools who would not vote for UNT to be admitted for SWC membership (still) mostly all have the same attitude toward us thats showed up the past several years (decades) when we were merely trying to schedule even a simple home and home series. Even when we get the occassional future games with them, it's almost like they are doing us a favor if they put us on their future football schedules (and yes, I know, even 1, maybe 2 of them are on our future football schedules now); but scheduling occasional games with CUSA schools and being in the same conference with them are like apples and oranges.

GET USED TO THE SUN BELT CONFERENCE............. When UNT builds a 35--40,000 seat stadium, averages about 30-40,000 per home game, beats numerous (ranked) OOC football foes, gets Top 25 rankings (a la Boise State) and our (then) UNT leadership decides they want to shoot for the stars with all this, then we mabye we will be ready to make our move, but until then..............

................UNT (and schools like Muts) are going to be conference-mates in the Sun Belt Conference for awhile. So................we bloom where planted? I think most of feel that is our only realistic choice for now, but threads like this are still sorta' fun.

IMO, a new "true" NCAA D1-A football stadium out at the Mean Green Village that has those 25-35,000 plus crowds on Game Day can probably hasten a UNT move to some new conference neighborhbood, though; but who could ever know what the NCAA D1-A conference landscape will even look like when we're ready to make such a move? :unsure:

:wacko:

This topic is a little like asking if I would prefer to go out with the Playmate of the Month for January or the Playmate of the Month for April. Since there is not a snowball's chance in August of either one happening perhaps I had better be really nice to the lovely Mrs. Huff.

January:

PlayboyPlaymate-JaydeNicole.jpg

April:

guliana.jpg

Let the voting begin

Conference USA? Pshhh!

I'm personally advocating that North Texas court the Mountain West to become the 10th MWC school. Here's why:

Becoming the 10th team would allow the MWC to split into two divisions: West: SDSU, UNLV, BYU, Utah, Wyoming. East: UNT, TCU, Air Force, New Mexico, Colorado State.

I think that it would more likely be a North: BYU, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado State, and AFA. South: SDSU, UNLV, TCU, UNM, UNT. The first 5 schools formed the MWC and are likely to stick together in a division. You could add Fresno State to the North and UTEP to the South and play a championship game in the Sun Bowl.

The University of Phoenix has over 360,000 students and hass the largest student population in the world. Sorry, I work for them... but they are no interested in athletics, just students and Tle IV money :)

It also has the lowest graduation rate and highest rate of federal investigations.

NO WAY!!! Unfortunately some of us do ghave to work and privileged to go to church on Sunday and prefer not to saty up for the ball games that start at 9 pm. (NBA playoffs, Ranger games, etc.) and sas we leave a ways out side of Dallas we do not get the write about the game or we get it a day late (YCU).

For these reasons (late games and little publicity to fans and recruits) I prefer a Central or Eastern time zone conference. Unless there is a wholesale change in the makeup of conferences I prefer to see the upgrading of the SBC into a junior SEC and then improve on that.

Stop me if I'm wrong, but didn't we turn down an offer from the MWC a few years ago because of the travel times and costs?

STOP

NT turned down the WAC, not the MWC.

I'll bet that if the question were asked, "Do you want to be in the non-BCS version of the Southwest Conference", the answer from many of us would be yes.

Many people do not realize that of the 1-A, non-BCS, public universities in the states of Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Louisiana, the only schools in this group that are not in the SBC are:

UTEP

Houston

Louisiana Tech

The new Southwest Conference is going to be some combination of CUSA-West and the western SBC schools.

It's just a matter of time.

I'll bet that if the question were asked, "Do you want to be in the non-BCS version of the Southwest Conference", the answer from many of us would be yes.

Many people do not realize that of the 1-A, non-BCS, public universities in the states of Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Louisiana, the only schools in this group that are not in the SBC are:

UTEP

Houston

Louisiana Tech

The new Southwest Conference is going to be some combination of CUSA-West and the western SBC schools.

It's just a matter of time.

I would like that. Travel and finding rivals would be easy.

Edited by NT80