Leftover Recruiting Tidbits

Cooley

Marquez Haynes

Haynes is still in Boston taking finals but will transfer this summer. He is currently considering 4 schools: Rice, Tulsa, Northeastern, and UNT. Wants to get closer to home so Northeastern is probably out.

TRB put him in touch with Ben Uzoh at Tulsa and Zo Williams at Rice yesterday, so he could talk to both of them and get their input on their situations. Haynes will sit out the 2007-8 season and have 3 years left at whichever school he chooses.

A&M does not renew Bryan Beasley for 2007-2008

Beasley reshirted this year at A&M and was expected to play a significant role next year in the backcourt of A&M. He also is a very good student, who actually was one of the few Aggies with a bonafide major. Beasley was majoring in Engineering.

So, it was a major surprise. Bryan will now open his recruiting back up at this late date when few schools have any openings left. He will have to sit out another year and will have 3 years left beginning in 2008-9. He is a 6-0 combo guard. The major problem is that he will now have 2 years without playing competitively in a game.

Who could be interested? Stanford was one of Beasley's choices when he decided on A&M. Baylor could also have interest as could Rice and others.

Former Bryan star Brandon Webster open again

6-9, 250 pound prep school post Brandon Webster is on the market again. Webster did NOT sign with Wyoming as the Cowboys fell victim to the NCAA graduation requirements and will not have a scholarship to offer Webster.

Webster, who signed with A&M but was later not honored, is strong and good as a defender and rebounder. His offensive game needs work. (Someone at UNT needs to pick up the phone)

6-9, 250 pound prep school post Brandon Webster is on the market again. Webster did NOT sign with Wyoming as the Cowboys fell victim to the NCAA graduation requirements and will not have a scholarship to offer Webster.

Webster, who signed with A&M but was later not honored, is strong and good as a defender and rebounder. His offensive game needs work. (Someone at UNT needs to pick up the phone)

Good info.

Edited by NT80

RivalsHoops

BRANDONWEBSTER7_14150.JPG

Brandon Webster

I've made my views on adding Marquez Haynes in here before...I want him in green...but I feel that if JJ thought UNT was higher on his board than Rice or Tulsa, then he wouldn't have signed Adam McCoy. Brandon Webster had some good schools on his original Rivals board (A&M, Utah, Wyoming, USC) so it seems like he would be a great addition...especially b/c he has 4 years of eligibility.

Also...I wouldn't completly rule out the possibility of JJ still pursuing Calasian (Midland Post who originally signed with Utah). He mentioned he's focused his interest towards SEC schools but I think he's going to find very few if any scholarship looks out there...I feel onece he comes back to reality a bit he may give his buddy Ryan McCoy a call and see if he can't get a visit to Denton set up...pure speculation of course...but in reading up on him, he doesn't strike me as much of an SEC contributor but would be a great fit at a mid-major.

but in reading up on him, he doesn't strike me as much of an SEC contributor but would be a great fit at a mid-major.

I wonder about this line of thinking. I know that in football the difference between SEC and midmajor is very pronounced but I wonder if the talent gap isn't considerably smaller in basketball. Teams like Memphis, George Mason, Gonzaga, etc make me think the "midmajors" are quite comparable.

I wonder about this line of thinking. I know that in football the difference between SEC and midmajor is very pronounced but I wonder if the talent gap isn't considerably smaller in basketball. Teams like Memphis, George Mason, Gonzaga, etc make me think the "midmajors" are quite comparable.

I've always kinda debated this in my head. I think in the case of a George Mason it was a group of well coached, moderatly talented basketball players peaking at the right time...I didn't believe that any of those players would be major contributors on your major conference schools. Gonzaga and your Missouri Valley schools (Wichita St., N. Iowa, SIU, Creighton ect) I've always viewed as grabbing the same moderate players with the occassional steal (Adam Morrison, Ben Jacobson, Nate Funk ect)...and then these players learning the system for 4 years. As for a school like Memphis, I don't think that with a coach like John Calipari and a number 2 seed...and somehow an elite 8 showing this year. Before the huge conference shake up, C-USA basketball was quite strong (Louisville, Marquette, Cincinati and DePaul) and Memphis probably got hosed on not going to the Big East...atleast in terms of respectability.

When I said Calasian didn't strike me as SEC talent perhaps I misspoke...he didn't seem of the quality that an SEC team would invest in him for only 2 years.