Jj Apology Thread

NT03

Then I am not talking about you....

Who are you speaking to? I think most alums are giving JJ alot of love(except maybe for the voy board, and even there he's getting a pass). Hell, I'd take a bullet for JJ right about now. :lol:

Edited by CMJ

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't put words in my mouth and make it look like I said that making it to the tournament is zero progress. I was explaining why many fans who have been around for longer than a year were not optimistic about the way the program was headed. Up until this team made it to the conference championship game, there had been zero progress. Go back and actually read what I wrote.

BTW, your comments just solidify your own self description as a new follower of college basketball. If you knew anything about basketball, you would realize how close this team was to being a 4 or 5 loss team. If you were blind to the numerous coaching blunders this season, then please head to your local library and check out some basketball books and read up. There were a few I remember my brother and I reading when we were little that would be pretty good for you, I'll ask him if he remembers the titles. Then watch all the basketball you can this week and when the tournament starts. Watch the good coaches and how their teams effectively execute offenses, play with leads, handle late game situations, etc.... Take notes. Please, for your own sake and for the sake of everyone who might read one of your posts here.

Ebone, you were wrong about this team and our coach. Deal with it.

That is what I figured. Don't talk if you can't back it up.

I'll check my PMs when I get back from work.

i'm still waiting for my pm.. oh but i bet you won't be on here for awhile since the basketball team actually did something good.. theres not much you can say since noone is talking about firing JJ

--Tom Landry went 25-53-4 during his first six years and had NO winning seasons....NONE....That was 25 wins in 82 games.... a lot of folks wanted his head.... then it changed and he went twenty consecutive years with a winning record in every one of them and usually with 10 or more wins and a lot of them were only 14 game seasons.. not 16 games..

Jimmy Johnson even went 1-13 his first one and everyone laughed about how he was not capable of moving up to the pro-level from the college ranks.

Enjoy this year and let's see what happens..... I am not saying he is Tom Landry but back off and be happy...Some of you are sounding like a Notre Dame fan after a 10-2 year and didn't win the National Title.....

Barry Switzer won a Super Bowl pretty quick...if we want to make this non-sensically about Cowboy's coaches...

Both sides are arguing, and the side I agree with seems to be making the bigger idiots of themselves...as has been the case most of the year (not just related to this post, but trying to kick ebone, sbg and others in the nuts for no reason is just dumb.) They are good fans entitled to opinions no matter what you think of them.

The only thing that unites our fans is blind hatred for Dickey, not even a freaking NCAA berth changes things.

GMG!

Say what you will about the VOY Board, but they do a much better job of laying out an argument. I don't call it VOY anymore though - I prefer the Chris Fisher panel of champions (POC board.)

Barry Switzer won a Super Bowl pretty quick...if we want to make this non-sensically about Cowboy's coaches...

Both sides are arguing, and the side I agree with seems to be making the bigger idiots of themselves...as has been the case most of the year (not just related to this post, but trying to kick ebone, sbg and others in the nuts for no reason is just dumb.) They are good fans entitled to opinions no matter what you think of them.

The only thing that unites our fans is blind hatred for Dickey, not even a freaking NCAA berth changes things.

GMG!

Say what you will about the VOY Board, but they do a much better job of laying out an argument. I don't call it VOY anymore though - I prefer the Chris Fisher panel of champions (POC board.)

Quoner - I know that these are your friends; however, if you take a look at the posts over the basketball season, you'd find out whose was getting kicked in the nuts. We were repeatedly told by your friends that we are just idiot, naive students with no understanding of sports and that our team is headed down the drain (and that we're just too stupid to realize it). It did not happen. In fact, the opposite did. Moreover, after our lousy Arkansas road trip, the propheteers of negativity were so busy head hunting for JJ as well as anyone that didn't agree with them, they failed to recognize that our team was playing very good ball and would eventually go on to a 12-5 record (after this road trip) plus get the first NCAA tourney birth in 20 years, achieve the best record in school history, and set a single season 3 point record. I could go on. Personally, I think their anger towards JJ got the best of them given that even "naive" students could see that this team was obviously very special. Finally, I seriously doubt I have ever called anyone a bad fan, but if I did that was not right and I apologize in advance. I have, however, pointed out that those calling for JJ's head seemed to show more frequently after loss and had little to say after a win.

Edited by chrisfisher

Quoner - I know that these are your friends; however, if you take a look at the posts over the basketball season, you'd find out whose was getting kicked in the nuts. We were repeatedly told by your friends that we are just idiot, naive students with no understanding of sports and that our team is headed down the drain (and that we're just too stupid to realize it). It did not happen. In fact, the opposite did. Moreover, after our lousy Arkansas road trip, the propheteers of negativity were so busy head hunting for JJ as well as anyone that didn't agree with them, they failed to recognize that our team was playing very good ball and would eventually go on to a 12-5 record (after this road trip) plus get the first NCAA tourney birth in 20 years, achieve the best record in school history, and set a single season 3 point record. I could go on. Personally, I think their anger towards JJ got the best of them given that even "naive" students could see that this team was obviously very special. Finally, I seriously doubt I have ever called anyone a bad fan, but if I did that was not right and I apologize in advance. I have, however, pointed out that those calling for JJ's head seemed to show more frequently after loss and had little to say after a win.

amen

ebone and southbend are in a new classification of poster...a FOQ (Friend of Quoner).

I have friends?

Who knew that making consistent gay innuendos was the true road to internet popularity...

See, me and Skip Bayless are really just cut from the same cloth...

i'm still waiting for my pm.. oh but i bet you won't be on here for awhile since the basketball team actually did something good.. theres not much you can say since noone is talking about firing JJ

Perfect. The person questioning another's maturity is also the one to pull the "no, you first" elementary school comeback. But I'll play your little game, expect a PM in the next 30 seconds. It won't take me long.

Especially agree with this! We definitely need more fans at the games. I know I'm one to talk, but it's kinda hard to living outta state. ;)

I believe we averaged right around 2K a game this year. My hope is we can make that 3500 or more - even if next year isn't a 23 win campaign. It's alot less likely to get an NIT bid(we can't win the tourney every year) if you can't draw, because they rely heavily on attendance with their income really low from TV.

Tell you what - start getting some decent opponents at home and people will show up. I know a Professor who had missed maybe 3 home bball games in the last 25 years, that when he saw the schedule this year, said he would not go back until they put some teams on there with some meat.

Ebone, you were wrong about this team and our coach. Deal with it.

He is wrong about what? Up until 1 week ago, this coach had done virtually NOTHING in the time that he was here.

I have, however, pointed out that those calling for JJ's head seemed to show more frequently after loss and had little to say after a win.

Many of the people that call for his head have been giving him his due in the past couple of days.

Tell you what - start getting some decent opponents at home and people will show up. I know a Professor who had missed maybe 3 home bball games in the last 25 years, that when he saw the schedule this year, said he would not go back until they put some teams on there with some meat.

Fine, disparrage the OOC slate. Many of our OOC home games were when students weren't around anyways - attendance is lacking everywhere during winter break(even the power schools struggle to sell out). I'm speaking of CONFERENCE games dude. There should be 4-6K at every important league game. I think we broke 3K twice. No excuse for that.

Fine, disparrage the OOC slate. Many of our OOC home games were when students weren't around anyways - attendance is lacking everywhere during winter break(even the power schools struggle to sell out). I'm speaking of CONFERENCE games dude. There should be 4-6K at every important league game. I think we broke 3K twice. No excuse for that.

--Agree... 4000 should a minimun crowd for a university of our size, more on key games.... I always wished that NT or someone would play UTEP, NMSU, or TT in Midland during the holiday break.. it would draw a good crowd I would think when the college campuses are pretty empty, we have a good arena to play on MC campus.... the home games draw poorly then anyway and lots of college kids are home with not a lot to do. . That actually happened in baseball at our AA baseball field. Tech played someone this past spring. Midland/Odessa has 250,000 people, not a small place, and there is not a lot of sports competition then except HS basketball and Midland College which is a JC.

---It might even help to recruit in the area as well if they saw more of NT... in all sports.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

A very special team is one that wins games in the tournament not just makes it. And all of your comparisons are against UNT. Who cares what we did in the past. We were not good in the past. LOOK to the future.

This team has done some great things. They have driven us far down the road. But we have not yet arrived. JJ knows that he cannot put it on cruise control. If he does he will be gone. Know fast forward a few years... If JJ takes us to a couple of post season appearances and has a down year fine. But he should not get 3 bad years for 1 good year.

Well you might try being a little more specific when describing what games you are speaking of. You think we should have 4-6k at every important league game correct? How many "important" league games do you think we had this season? Go back through the years and tell me just how many games we have had at the University of North Texas basketball games during conference play where we had 4 - 6k per game? Many people in Denton believe the Sun Belt stinks at football and probably assume that goes for bball - if you can't get decent games in for the OOC games, they have sense written off going to the games once conference starts.

Well you might try being a little more specific when describing what games you are speaking of. You think we should have 4-6k at every important league game correct? How many "important" league games do you think we had this season? Go back through the years and tell me just how many games we have had at the University of North Texas basketball games during conference play where we had 4 - 6k per game? Many people in Denton believe the Sun Belt stinks at football and probably assume that goes for bball - if you can't get decent games in for the OOC games, they have sense written off going to the games once conference starts.

How many? The Western home game and every one following(beating WKU 2 times in the same season is a big deal, yes they were down but the have four Final Fours in school history and have owned the Belt for years) were important. And the Tournament game in Denton? Pathetic turnout.

How many? The Western home game and every one following(beating WKU 2 times in the same season is a big deal, yes they were down but the have four Final Fours in school history and have owned the Belt for years) were important. And the Tournament game in Denton? Pathetic turnout.

I am not arguing with you about the attendence issues or rather disagreeing with how badly they are attended, I am just giving you reasons why people don't come out to the games. Unfortunately people have NEVER come out consistantly for the home bball games, or not for the 20 years I have been going. I wish more people came out for them, but I am not sure why we can't get people out. I don't however think this is just a bball issue - we went to four straight bowl games and maybe twice had two football games during that time over 20k....that is pathetic.