College Funding Under Attack

bigrobdsp

Looks like TAMS is on the hit list. It's a good program for high school kids, but one thing has always bugged me about it. You walk into their areas in Marquis Hall and the walls are covered with recruiting posters from OTHER schools. It is my understanding that very few of these students stay at NT for their degrees.

Looks like TAMS is on the hit list. It's a good program for high school kids, but one thing has always bugged me about it. You walk into their areas in Marquis Hall and the walls are covered with recruiting posters from OTHER schools. It is my understanding that very few of these students stay at NT for their degrees.

You mean McConnell, right? While you make a valid point, keep in mind that TAMS is really just an elevated high school. So it would be wrong to force all the kids to go to North Texas. Not that I don't think they should, since it's a great school, but I also think that when you're dealing with high school kids, especially highly intelligent ones, you should always encourage them to broaden their horizons.

I've had several friends who graduated from the TAMS program and although none of them stuck around at North Texas, they all look back favorably on their experiences. In fact, a few of them donate money.

Guest JohnDenver

Few points.

1) TAMS kids aren't recruited by UNT. They are assumed to be going elsewhere. When there is a college night, almost every big name University in the nation comes up and has a booth. Also, schools (SMU and UTD) around these parts host "information nights" and feed the kids pizza.

2) They are high school kids. They get a high school degree from UNT. They view it as just that -- a high school degree.

3) The honors college doesn't even allow TAMS to enroll. From what I know, this is changing. It will make UNT more attractive to TAMS kids to get credits in honors courses and make them want to stay at UNT.

4) TAMS kids are picked on by other students. It isn't on purpose, but by neglect. They are ignored by older students or (if not ignored) mocked in classes (i did my fair share too).

Look in the North Texan and see the scholarship awards and nation awards UNT gets. They are *always* TAMS kids ... and it is in every single magazine. They bring a great reputation.

Case in point about your chip on shoulder about other schools at McConnell Hall -- my wife and her college roommate went to UTD. Why? Because UTD had a pizza night. Neither of them had even heard of UTD before that. They got the distinct impression that UNT didn't want them... UTD paid for all their school. UNT didn't offer ANY scholarships to any of the students. Thus, my wife, though a HUGE Mean Green fan, graduated from UTD and is effectively a Comet.

Few points.

1) TAMS kids aren't recruited by UNT. They are assumed to be going elsewhere. When there is a college night, almost every big name University in the nation comes up and has a booth. Also, schools (SMU and UTD) around these parts host "information nights" and feed the kids pizza.

Well, we obviously have a huge issue here to deal with. What about car dealerships in Denton? They could get involved here with the extended test drives they offer. We just have to get creative and take a page from the NCAA recruiting handbook. :whistling1:

4) TAMS kids are picked on by other students. It isn't on purpose, but by neglect.

Oh no, it was on purpose. As a former RA at Bruce Hall we hated those punks. There were a few I was friends with or were good kids, but there were a lot of cheaters, hackers, and delinquents there. Not to mention the elitest nose in the air...

I remember once someone had taken a "For Sale" sign from somewhere and posted it in front of McConnell...good stuff

Guest JohnDenver

Oh no, it was on purpose. As a former RA at Bruce Hall we hated those punks. There were a few I was friends with or were good kids, but there were a lot of cheaters, hackers, and delinquents there. Not to mention the elitest nose in the air...

I remember once someone had taken a "For Sale" sign from somewhere and posted it in front of McConnell...good stuff

Yeh, I know some of it was on purpose. I still make jokes about McConnell hall having invisible sword fighting. Anyway.. they are kids. Bruce Hall has equal number of JA's.

Cheaters? In every class. Hackers? Sure.. they have some smart people there. Delinquents? Maybe. They have their fair share of kids kicked out for drugs ... but a lot of high schools have that problem too.

Either way.. it is a good program and good for the school. I wish they had more UNT school spirit, but UNT doesn't do a good job of acting like they are really enrolled at UNT. Instead they are at TAMS High.

Yeah, as a former Bruce resident I have to agree. There were a few great kids that I remember and I still talk to some. A couple of them stayed on at UNT because they liked the school. From what I remember though, and from what ive discussed with my former TAMSter friends, a lot of the kids felt they were better and smarter than most UNT students. I remember one conversation in which a group was sitting in the dining hall and all saying that they couldn't wait until they graduated and got out of Denton because they were tired of being the only intellegent people in a 40 mile radius. I'm sure they calculated that with some sort of slide ruler or something.

I dont have much of a tollerance for high school kids anyway, let alone the ones that can screw up the curve on a midterm. :lol:

Edited by SAGreenFan

WHAT WOULD GO

University of North Texas

$2.8 for Texas Academy of Mathematics and Science, a program for gifted high school students who live and study at UNT for two years.

Didn't President Bush call for (in at least one of his State of the Union addresses) an increase in math and science programs for high schools and colleges?

This sounds like Perry just WACKED it for UNT and the state of Texas. <_<

and...

Texas Woman's University

$334,000 for Institute for Women's Health, which promotes disease prevention and health for women and girls

Math/Science and Healthcare: two of the biggest concerns of people in this state and country and Perry WACKS both of them. <_<<_<

VOTE DEMOCRAT

As a "red" state, this place is going down the tubes. :angry:

----Tuition in this state has skyrocketed since Perry has become governor.... The legislature then make up for the decreased state funding by allowing each university to set their own tuition ( to make up for the lost state money) I did not notice any mention of money for a North Texas Law school either. The sad thing about these things is they pass them to keep people happy but then then fail to fund them but brag they supported it and voted for it. The gullible buy into it as the absolute truth..

--- On the local level, public school level state funding for schools has decreased ( it was once 60% state funded, now it is less than 40% ). They then can brag they cut taxes [but don't mention the education budget cuts] What happens-- local property taxes climb because of the lack of state funds. There is no such thing as a free lunch. I understand this does not make some happy to hear these facts because they are so one-party minded and think they can do no wrong....but sorry---- it is the truth. Not everyone in his party agrees with this going on but the ones that do are in charge.

---Less state taxes (mostly for the high-income folks) mean more local taxes which usually hit the average person and homeowners hard.

---His idea of selling Lotto Texas seems pretty bad also. it seems good for the moment but not the long term.... sort of like cashing in your retirement funds... you have money now but not much later. I'll quit before I get this thread locked down.

---Obviously there is no campaign now so I am not trying to get votes for anyone ... just telling facts, We have to deal with him at least four more years.

---Why build a Tex A&M Kingville branch in San Antonio as he mentions in his speech??? (He is a A&M grad) Isn't there already a UT-San Antonio...""" expand it instead if something is needed. .

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

----Tuition in this state has skyrocketed since Perry has become governor.... The legislature then make up for the decreased state funding by allowing each university to set their own tuition ( to make up for the lost state money) I did not notice any mention of money for a North Texas Law school either. The sad thing about these things is they pass them to keep people happy but then then fail to fund them but brag they supported it and voted for it. The gullible buy into it as the absolute truth..

--- On the local level, public school level state funding for schools has decreased ( it was once 60% state funded, now it is less than 40% ). They then can brag they cut taxes [but don't mention the education budget cuts] What happens-- local property taxes climb because of the lack of state funds. There is no such thing as a free lunch. I understand this does not make some happy to hear these facts because they are so one-party minded and think they can do no wrong....but sorry---- it is the truth. Not everyone in his party agrees with this going on but the ones that do are in charge.

---Less state taxes (mostly for the high-income folks) mean more local taxes which usually hit the average person and homeowners hard.

---His idea of selling Lotto Texas seems pretty bad also. it seems good for the moment but not the long term.... sort of like cashing in your retirement funds... you have money now but not much later. I'll quit before I get this thread locked down.

---Obviously there is no campaign now so I am not trying to get votes for anyone ... just telling facts, We have to deal with him at least four more years.

---Why build a Tex A&M Kingville branch in San Antonio as he mentions in his speech??? (He is a A&M grad) Isn't there already a UT-San Antonio...""" expand it instead if something is needed. .

It's ridiculous that we still have no direct access to the Permanent Fund proceeds. Why does the A&M System get 33.3%, the UT System get 66.7%, and we basically still have to beg for crumbs. We are all Texas public institutions of higher education that were established at roughly the same time for whatever purpose, and we should all have equal access to the public funds earmarked for higher education regardless of the source of such funds. Time for another constitutional amendment.

What you say hits the mark. As they say: "The proof is in the pudding". The people in Austin can put all the spin on it they want, but the bottom line is your average joe and homeowner is taking it on the chin while govenor good hair and Craddick cavort with the lobbyists.

It's ridiculous that we still have no direct access to the Permanent Fund proceeds. Why does the A&M System get 33.3%, the UT System get 66.7%, and we basically still have to beg for crumbs. We are all Texas public institutions of higher education that were established at roughly the same time for whatever purpose, and we should all have equal access to the public funds earmarked for higher education regardless of the source of such funds. Time for another constitutional amendment.

---I see your point but this is why in 1965 that Texas Western became UT-EP and Arlington State became UTA..... so they could share the University Fund just as the baby boom about to enroll in college and at that time the fund had way more money than was needed for A&M and UT which had about 7000 and 25,000 students respectively. (we had about 13,000) Through the years more and more universities have been added and their name changed so that they could share in that fund. I do see your point but I don't want North Texas to be UT-anything and the legislature should be able to fund TxTech and NT outside of that fund. Other states manage to fund several without even having University Lands. Without these lands our state taxes would be much higher than now. By the way only one state has lower state taxes per capita then we do, we are 49th on the list, we would have to have much higher taxes without those University Lands.

--- No other state has University Lands or funds... ours exists because Texas kept their public lands when they seized to be an independent nation. I am not even sure that a constitutional amendment can legally change it because of the way the University Lands were created. The USA permitted Texas to keep our public lands and some of it was earmarked for TWO colleges.. A lot of the lands were considered almost worthless anyway because at the time (1840's) since most were out here in West Texas which had little water, trees etc. ....but then things changed ...OIL and natural gas .... and plus deep water wells are possible now for agriculture and towns which could not exist at that time due to the lack of electric and other power. Any change in this would likely require federal action to alter the agreement of our entering the USA. Sometimes it is better to just let sleeping dogs lie. I doubt most congressman from other states realize the advantage that we in Texas have.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66