Helmet Design

Smitty

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smitty,

Any chance we could see a happy medium, as big as possible while still having the talon surrounding the ear hole? When I looked at your first post on the thread, that was the first thing that popped in my head. I'm suprised no one has suggested it already.

Thanks!

Something like this? To get the talon near the earhole, the eagle has to be very large, otherwise the eagle's head disappears under the facemask.

helmet-big-eagle.jpg

Something like this? To get the talon near the earhole, the eagle has to be very large, otherwise the eagle's head disappears under the facemask.

helmet-big-eagle.jpg

LOVE THIS ONE... Keeps our Eagle heritage, will be easy to identify once people see it. So far this is my favorite. Keep up the work Smitty!!

But I wonder.... since we are just playing anyway.... for giggles and grins... could this be done over the top of the helmet???

Tallon by each ear hole with the head and beak comming over the crest to the top of the helmet to the facemask???

I've said this before and I will say it again, let's win some games next season and then we should worry about what the helmets look like. I know everybody that has posted new helmets designs probably has no life and was probably never a good athlete, or probably never an athlete. But let's be realistic, all of you get mad when a player cares more about what they look like than how they play. Just because the team looks good does not mean they are a good team. If you want to continue to think how you are then I believe Oregon will win the national championsip. They can't win a PAC 10 Championship but they sure do look good in those uniforms.

It's been a couple of days now, and I still can't believe how cool those two helmet designs are.

I can't decide which I like best, but I am leaning towards the white eagle on the green background.

Which one looks better to everybody else?

As much as I've been against the white helmet - those designs are pretty much 50% green, 50% white since the logo is so big. I could be happy either way. I think I am with you though... Green background, white logo.

They both kick ass!

I've said this before and I will say it again, let's win some games next season and then we should worry about what the helmets look like. I know everybody that has posted new helmets designs probably has no life and was probably never a good athlete, or probably never an athlete. But let's be realistic, all of you get mad when a player cares more about what they look like than how they play. Just because the team looks good does not mean they are a good team. If you want to continue to think how you are then I believe Oregon will win the national championsip. They can't win a PAC 10 Championship but they sure do look good in those uniforms.

First, you just proved you're a small-minded idiot for that little gem about " everybody that has posted new helmets designs probably has no life and was probably never a good athlete, or probably never an athlete". Maybe they do it because they have the skills to make such things? I know one NT athlete that is a total computer geek/design guy. Would you say he was never a good athlete?

Second, it's not about what the team looks like. You're missing the point. It's about how the university is seen by the outside world. It's about having a brand that is instantly recognizable. I don't give a rat's ass if the team plays in 1920's-no facemasks or shoulder pads-garb or how it looks. I do care about how NT is seen by those on the outside.

Get your shit straight and engage your brain a little before you feel the need to come on here an insult people with a helluva lot more brainpower and talent than you seem to have.

Edited by JayDub

Oh wise one, :thumbdown:

Uniforms have always been an important factor in the recruiting process. Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, none the less, uniform design is important to these young men.

And I played college football for your information.

:bangin:

Edited by Got5onIt

One thing that has always confused me is; with the kind of talent we have in our alumni base and in our arts department why must the administration pay people to come up with lackluster designs? Seems like they should hold an open contest any time they feel like they need a new design and see what our accredited arts dept and alumni can come up with.

P.S. Please no emo-eagles from our art students. We already saw what that looked like at the basketball games earlier this season...

Edited by MeanGreenBuzz

Wow, everybody seems to be easily pleased. I think they look great too, but this is only once concept. I would like to see many more if I was the one making the decesion on the helmet design. Well, I actually shouldn't say the Mean Green Nation is so easily pleased, we all screamed bloody hell when the presented the new word marks. I think something better could possibly be done though.

helmet-85white.png

This is my favorite design. I can see this winged side connecting with the other side, very similar to the Cincinnati Bengals helmet.

The helmet would then still be majority green, which is what I want.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Got5onIt

This is my favorite design. I can see this winged side connecting with the other side, very similar to the Cincinnati Bengals helmet.

The helmet would then still be majority green, which is what I want.

:thumbsup:

Got5, it is that one or the reverse of it. They are both recognizable and marketable.

Go Mean Green

I am really concerned for college football as you computer losers see it. Tell me why we would even want a kid out of high school that cares more about how he is going to look in his helmet and uniform than how many games he is going to win. Do any of you think that is the type of athlete that is going to win this team games? I would love for any of you to talk to some real athletes. Next time Cody Spencer or Andy Brewster is in town ask him what he thinks the new design looks like. He will probably say something like "I don't give a shit, who the hell are you?" And furthermore do you actually Todd Dodge is up in his office looking at pictures of new uniforms. For all of you that say you are athletes I'm sure you are the guys that always had your jersey tucked in and at the end of the game ya'll had the cleanest uniforms (BENCHWARMERS!!!!)

I am really concerned for college football as you computer losers see it. Tell me why we would even want a kid out of high school that cares more about how he is going to look in his helmet and uniform than how many games he is going to win. Do any of you think that is the type of athlete that is going to win this team games? I would love for any of you to talk to some real athletes. Next time Cody Spencer or Andy Brewster is in town ask him what he thinks the new design looks like. He will probably say something like "I don't give a shit, who the hell are you?" And furthermore do you actually Todd Dodge is up in his office looking at pictures of new uniforms. For all of you that say you are athletes I'm sure you are the guys that always had your jersey tucked in and at the end of the game ya'll had the cleanest uniforms (BENCHWARMERS!!!!)

You may not like it, but it's a part of what influences a young man's decision in choosing a school. Do a search like some of these "internet losers" you despise and you'll see a very informative article on the effects of uniform design and recruiting.

It's obvious you're jealous of all the guys who actually got to play in high chool & college. You were the guy who rode the bench for 4 years but won scout team player of the week every week. Yeah, you sure are intense buddy, but you suck too much to get into an actual game. I felt sorry for guys like you, but at th same time, I laugh in your face.

:whip:

My views are not about jealosy or how much I played in high school and college it is about how everyone on this board makes assumptions on what makes the team successful and how to win games. How you look does not make a team win games. Looking pretty does not intimitate the opposing team. How you play does. Too many players (and people on this board) care about looking good. Everyone cares about new helmet designs and what shade of green to have. It is recruiting season and if you are worried about some trivial bullshit like helmets instead of the players development as an athlete then this program has some serious problems.

My views are not about jealosy or how much I played in high school and college it is about how everyone on this board makes assumptions on what makes the team successful and how to win games. How you look does not make a team win games. Looking pretty does not intimitate the opposing team. How you play does. Too many players (and people on this board) care about looking good. Everyone cares about new helmet designs and what shade of green to have. It is recruiting season and if you are worried about some trivial bullshit like helmets instead of the players development as an athlete then this program has some serious problems.

I don't think the posters here believe we'll win more games because of the uniforms. You are right that most players probably could care less what they look like; more worried about playing time and winning. The posters however have a vested interest in the advancement, promotion and marketing of the program...thus the interest in logos, fonts, symbols, colors, etc.

After years of every coach deciding their own style for uniform logos, fonts and coloring there is finally some move towards standardization (although the means to which it was selected was not exactly democratic, more czar-like, but that's another story). The football uniforms will be changed. What form they take will influence shirt and hat sales, university image, and eventually could affect game attendance and even enrollment applications with the "coolness" factor for high school kids. Uniforms are important; they may not win games, but they will win or lose revenue, fans and even potential students.

Edited by NT80

Finally somebody gets it. You were direct and to the point. You actually have some football knowledge unlike the others on this board. I do agree with most of your views. For everybody else that takes this shit too serious get a life and let the coaches do their job and let the marketing do their job. It is December and NT does not even have a full coaching staff so team needs to take baby steps for the advancement with the program.

I agree with a lot about what's been said out our image and marketing. I personally would love to see the eagle put back on the helmet. My photoshop skills probably aren't as good as Smitty's but I decided to try using just the eagle head as the logo on the helmet rather than the winged variety. I think a 3-stripe scheme down the middle would be good too. I also went with the white face mask and who knows, maybe talon stickers might be a Dodge thing. Afterall, SLC had 'pride' stickers on their helmets; could be extra motivation for the players.

helmetdesgin.jpg

I agree with a lot about what's been said out our image and marketing. I personally would love to see the eagle put back on the helmet. My photoshop skills probably aren't as good as Smitty's but I decided to try using just the eagle head as the logo on the helmet rather than the winged variety. I think a 3-stripe scheme down the middle would be good too. I also went with the white face mask and who knows, maybe talon stickers might be a Dodge thing. Afterall, SLC had 'pride' stickers on their helmets; could be extra motivation for the players.

helmetdesgin.jpg

Not bad Triple J. I too like the three stripe look as well. And welcome to the board!

Rick