Tight ends, fullbacks and H-backs

Buford_Julep

The high school spread offenses that I have seen do not use tight ends, fullbacks or H-backs. I assume that is true with Coach Dodge's offense also.

If the above is true, someone needs to meet with David Collins, Charlie Brown, Bryant Sedle, Victor Gill, Kerona Henderson, Ryan Davenport and perhaps others to discuss their future with the Mean Green. It looks like they will have to convert to another position or transfer.

GMG

Edited by Buford_Julep

Look at what Kragthrope does at Tulsa; he also runs a spread offense. What used to be TEs and FBs are generally spread out, playing in the slots, and close to the line.

Also, in his press conference last night, Dodge said that Southlake basically ran out of only three sets and that UNT was already running far more offensive sets. So, having better TEs/FBs on the roster may be a plus for Dodge; more pieces to work with than he needed at the high school level.

No pure spread team has ever burned up the NCAA. You either score so quickly that your defense never gets to rest (Texas Tech) or you stubbornly leave your QB to be pummeled because you're too married to your system to adjust to quicker opposing defenses (Houston in the early 1990s).

I think Dodge uses the TEs and FBs in a similar way to Kragthorpe at Tulsa.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Look at former Tulsa TE Garrett Mills. Before Kragthorpe arrived, he was basically playing the traditional tight end role. Kragthorpe split him out and he caught a ton of passes. The New Emgland Patriots took him on the fourth round of the draft this year and he made the roster. He's not a huge kid. He goes 225-230, run about a 4.6 40. But, he can catch.

I think Dodge does similar things with our TEs/FBs.

Look at former Tulsa TE Garrett Mills.  Before Kragthorpe arrived, he was basically playing the traditional tight end role.  Kragthorpe split him out and he caught a ton of passes.  The New Emgland Patriots took him on the fourth round of the draft this year and he made the roster.  He's not a huge kid.  He goes 225-230, run about a 4.6 40.  But, he can catch.

I think Dodge does similar things with our TEs/FBs.

Ditto your comments.....I believe Charley will be a great fit with Coach Dodges system...I can see him being a bigger better version of Mills. Charley has great hands and is very fast. I'm too old for skipping ahead in time but I can't wait for August 07

Ditto your comments.....I believe Charley will be a great fit with Coach Dodges system...I can see him being a bigger better version of Mills. Charley has great hands and is very fast. I'm too old for skipping ahead in time but I can't wait for August 07

He and Seidle both will benefit. Also, David Collins, the other returning TE who is 6-4, 220 and ran on the 4x100 sprint team in high school. That guy may be the sleeper of the bunch depending on his hands.

I suggest that all the arm chair QB's let Coach Dodge evaluate the current players.

Coach Dodge knows talent, and he will use the talent to his best advantage. I see

a wealth of talented players on the team now. ( thank Coach Dickey for geting the

Green Team on the field, as well as many Fres/RS players gaining experience).

Coach Dodge likes to use miss-matches in attacking a defense. Can you see

Colins/Brown/Seidle/Gill, stacked on the line--something like the Saints did to the

Cowboys! Beleive me, Coach Dodge will use all the current players. Coach Dodge

is an inovator on offense, and a inovator with personell.