Dodge pulls in talent.

Will to Win

12-04-2005, 10:00 AM

Texas Aggies fan

"If Dodge is such an coaching genious why didn't he win when any state championships BEFORE hecame to SLC? He was head coach at Yoe High School in Cameron, Texas in the early 90's and couldn't beat his way out of a paper bag. THe whole SLC thing smells. You have people moving into the District JUST for the kids to play football. You have personal trainers for almost the entire team. The coaches don't have to waste there state limited 8 hours of instruction per week on conditioning, it is ALL on football, hence they look like a college team in execution. He has facilities that are better than ANY football program in Texas except for tu and A&M. When you have the Dallas Cowboys coming to use your facilities you know you have it made. It all breaks down to MONEY. Baylor will have to beat out SLC in a bidding war plus I don't think he will leave with his son starting next year and I think his ultimate goal is nothing less than the Big school in Ausitn."

from baylorfans.com

I like this quote "You have people moving into the District JUST for the kids to play football"

I believe that TD will have this effect here at North Texas if he is hired. We will have recruits coming here to be coached by the best and to enjoy success.

All one has to do is look at the difference between last year and this year up in the Hills to see what a coach like Dodge can do. Coaching is just like anything else in this world - you get better the more you learn. Who knows if he is coming here or not, but if he does, and he gets it going here, look out. We might have to endure some people making fun of us for hiring a high school coach, but they did up in the Hills this past season, and CFN.com just named him their National OC of the year.

And you got it right, kids will come to play here if that starts to happen.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999

Guest GrayEagleOne

Who starts at the top in their trade? You have to learn how to instill the will to win. I had a college roommate from Cameron who told me that they often weren't very good. Ditto for Carrollton Newman Smith, and I believe it was Todd Dodge that gave them their first winning season. Fossil Ridge was a new program and he appears to have put down some good roots. SLC was the first program where he didn't have to start from square one. But, Ledbetter sensed that he had plenty on the ball or he wouldn't have hired him. The rest is history.

He is the only coach to win a state championship with a school in its first year in 5-A. He has had one loss in the last five years, that by one point in the state finals. I say that his late accomplishments far override his beginnings. Who gives a rat's behind that he didn't have much success at Yoe High School 10-15 years ago?

Who starts at the top in their trade?  You have to learn how to instill the will to win.  I had a college roommate from Cameron who told me that they often weren't very good.  Ditto for Carrollton Newman Smith, and I believe it was Todd Dodge that gave them their first winning season.  Fossil Ridge was a new program and he appears to have put down some good roots.  SLC was the first program where he didn't have to start from square one.  But, Ledbetter sensed that he had plenty on the ball or he wouldn't have hired him.  The rest is history.

He is the only coach to win a state championship with a school in its first year in 5-A.  He has had one loss in the last five years, that by one point in the state finals.  I say that his late accomplishments far override his beginnings.  Who gives a rat's behind that he didn't have much success at Yoe High School 10-15 years ago?

I completely agree. When you move up to 5A and then proceed to go 60 - 1, with that one loss being in the title game your second season, you are a good coach. You don't go 60 - 1 and not be very good reguardless of the talent you have.

12-04-2005, 10:00 AM

Texas Aggies fan

"If Dodge is such an coaching genious why didn't he win when any state championships BEFORE hecame to SLC? He was head coach at Yoe High School in Cameron, Texas in the early 90's and couldn't beat his way out of a paper bag. THe whole SLC thing smells. You have people moving into the District JUST for the kids to play football. You have personal trainers for almost the entire team. The coaches don't have to waste there state limited 8 hours of instruction per week on conditioning, it is ALL on football, hence they look like a college team in execution. He has facilities that are better than ANY football program in Texas except for tu and A&M. When you have the Dallas Cowboys coming to use your facilities you know you have it made. It all breaks down to MONEY. Baylor will have to beat out SLC in a bidding war plus I don't think he will leave with his son starting next year and I think his ultimate goal is nothing less than the Big school in Ausitn."

from baylorfans.com

I like this quote "You have people moving into the District JUST for the kids to play football"

I believe that TD will have this effect here at North Texas if he is hired. We will have recruits coming here to be coached by the best and to enjoy success.

More cluelessness. And to the part about ...."You have people moving into the District JUST for the kids to play football"

Don't most people who can afford an average home of $285K have a star football player in the family? rolleyes.gif

I'm now convinced(Sarcasm Alert).....You could basically stand a Scare Crow on the sidelines at SLC and go 60-1.

Rick

The top 10 richest school distict win a majority of all UIL awards.  We all know you can't buy championships, but there is no doubt money makes it easier to obtain championship.

So sad...yet so true. As with everything else in life...the difference between the "haves" and the "have-not's" is huge.

Speaking of...has anyone read "The Blind Side: Evolution of a Game" by Michael Lewis. The story of Michael Oher is amazing to me.