Recruiting - how far behind are we?

gangrene

With the stealth recruiting tactics of the previous regime, it's really difficult to assess where we stand on the recruiting front.

If we hire a coach tomorrow, how many top recruits (DMN State and/or Area 100) can we realistically expect to get?? Obviously, our new coach's style will dictate what kind of players we recruit, be shat positions do we need most and where do we have the most talent returning?

I'm anxious for something to get excited about with UNT football.

I would think that now that the DD Era is now officially over that there would be many on this forum (and beyond) who would say that Mean Green football recruiting just took a big step forward...

... especially now with our chance to get on some Area (who knows maybe even back on some State) Top 100 lists of which we've (for some unknown reasons rolleyes.gif ) been M.I.A. the last few years. Also talking about our getting on such lists of other large Texas citys other than just DFW, too.

The Goldfield's gift of $1.5 million to UNT Athletics will allow for the creation of even more solid new stadium plans that will be more than just at the generic stage.

And with the right coaching selection, UNT can probably still more than just salvage this winter's recruiting class since we still have till Feburary to make some new, solid and bright impressions with Texas HS seniors many of whom probably would have never given our present staff the time of day (in light of the obvious downward trend that they as Texas HS seniors would been most aware).

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Every thing related to recruiting is in limbo at this time until a new coach and his assistants get hired. NT did have some recruits commited in addition to Insall...including two had previously commited to Big 12 schools.

I know before this last game recruiting was ongoing trying to hold on to prospects.

It has been less than 30 days since DD was fired even though he coached (?) the last three games. I would expect the selection process is winding down to the top 2 or 3 at this time. Gosh I wish we had one selected already and were just waiting for the 30 days to be over.

" There is an assumption here that Dickey had any potential recruits coming. With the exception of the Abilene guy, who knows if anyone else was even being recruited."

" NT did have some recruits commited in addition to Insall...including two had previously commited to Big 12 schools"

What part of my post did you not read? I could add a big lineman and another from the metroplex...plus several others.

Edited by OldTimer

---Interesting comments from the UNT announcers during the Monroe pointed out that a lot of Monroe starting and first reserve linemen were from the Metroplex. Never should Monroe out recruit us... which is pretty much what they were saying without saying it. That seemed to be our weakest area this year.... (besides the obvious choice of who to start at QB. With a better line then even that might obvious.

---Interesting comments from the UNT announcers during the Monroe pointed out that a lot of Monroe starting and first reserve linemen were from the Metroplex. Never should Monroe out recruit us... which is pretty much what they were saying without saying it. That seemed to be our weakest area this year.... (besides the obvious choice of who to start at QB. With a better line then even that might obvious.

I wouldn't take that to mean they out-recruited us; but they definitely took that talent and coached it to a higher level.

I wouldn't take that to mean they out-recruited us; but they definitely took that talent and coached it to a higher level.

their point was that they out-recruited us IN THE METROPLEX.....they added that the only starter we had from the metroplex was Johnny Quinn, from Mesquite......obviously, we should dominate whatever recruiting happens in the Metroplex when it comes to the Sunbelt!

their point was that they out-recruited us IN THE METROPLEX.....they added that the only starter we had from the metroplex was Johnny Quinn, from Mesquite......obviously, we should dominate whatever recruiting happens in the Metroplex when it comes to the Sunbelt!

JQ was actually a McKinney Lion.

The point is to not only recruit from the area, but expand state and nation wide.

Whoever the RV selects, he needs to have him in place before the start of the year. After that, we are falling farther behind then what we already are.

The point is to not only recruit from the area, but expand state and nation wide.

Whoever the RV selects, he needs to have him in place before the start of the year. After that, we are falling farther behind then what we already are.

You have a better chance of recruiting quality guys close to home. If we get guys from out of state, what kind of quality are we looking at? And why didn't they go to a bigger school. We may get lucky by scoring a bigtime metroplex player who wants to stay close to home so his family and friends can watch him play.

who primarily recruited Dallas until this year? guess who RF

An assistant coach from UNT participated in this week's Sun Belt coach conference call. Here's what a reporter who covers FAU wrote about it:

"Fired coach Darrell Dickey was not sitting in for the call, and the assistant who sat in said they should know their fates soon. He said they had been told to stop recruiting efforts until a new coach is named, so that has to hurt the Greens."

Link