Interesting thread "Todd Dodge to UNT?"

NT80

Gotta love the mentality of fans from schools like UT. "NT will never recruit well because they play in the SunBelt." So what? With schools like UT salivating to schedule us, it gives us the chance to beat them when the least expect it, and that is something you can recruit to. The way it has to happen is get a creative coaching staff in there and will the kids into beating them. When top 10 schools are afraid to schedule us, then we've made the move up in the food chain.

I'd love to see a coach like Dodge come in here and lay some wood on some unsuspecting B©S programs. In fact, I pretty much demand we find a coach like that and start knocking some B©S programs around. We start with OU, so why not start the hurt on the B©S then?

The reference to a sleeping giant is interesting. What some do not realize, as seen by the Goldfield donation, is that NT has been athletically challenged....put a product on the field on the national stage and 'monied alumni' will come calling.

One thing I don't get about the Dodge speculation: How could he possibly leave before his son's senior year at Southlake? That's a once-in-a-lifetime moment for a father who coaches his son and he'll never get the chance again. If I'm Dodge, I don't take a college position until next year.

One thing I don't get about the Dodge speculation: How could he possibly leave before his son's senior year at Southlake? That's a once-in-a-lifetime moment for a father who coaches his son and he'll never get the chance again. If I'm Dodge, I don't take a college position until next year.

Well, he could be thinking about his son's future. Yes, it's special to coach your son for his senior season, but isn't it also important to make sure he makes D1-A college football? If Dodge doesn't move until after next season, he may or may not be able to find a good coaching fit. And his son, who supposedly is a great athlete but not necessarily a top notch quarterback, may not get a chance to play the position he wants to play.

Or, maybe Dodge comes to UNT next year and then recruits his son? wink.gif

To me, a D1A head coach opportunity for probably $300,000.00 or more per year is likely a decent reason to change jobs. Technically, he could keep his residence in Southlake - it's not that far up Hwy 377 to Denton.

Dodge is coaching his son this year as he plays QB as a junior. He would be established as the QB for next year even if Todd left. Todd would have the unique opportunity to take the job at UNT, stay in his current home, and watch his son play next year. Now, he's not going to move his son away for his senior year, but he already said in an earlier article that leaving before his son graduates wouldn't be a problem if it was a good fit.