Just in case your wonder who FAU is?

FirefightnRick

Updated from an '05 post.

Florida Atlantic University Owls:

FAU has only been playing football for 5 years and started completely from scratch.

Knowing what they would be up against, they went out and hired a visionary coach in Howard Shnellenberger who stated that one of their top goals at FAU was to win a national championship.

Don’t laugh, he quickly raised $15 Million to help get an athletic center started and their major contributor finalized payments this year to complete the Tom Oxley Center. Coach Shnellenberger reminds me of another visionary, the great Hayden Fry, who spoke on behalf of the Mean Green at a press conference in '75 stating, "Someone has to be ranked #1 in this country, why not us?".

FAU played their first game on Sept 1, 2001 and it only took two games for them to knock off a ranked opponent and a year later nearly won the 1-AA national championship.

In '04 they beat Hawaii, MTSU and North Texas all on the road in only their 3rd year of existence. Followed that up with a win over North Texas in '05 and now in '06.

FAU does not have an on-campus football stadium. They must travel 30 minutes away to Fort Lauderdale to play in 20,000 seat Lockhart Stadium, a once former major league soccer facility.

Here's some photos of a game against Colgate in' 03 at Lockhart stadium:

http://fausports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/.../121503aaa.html

I can think of 20 metroplex high schools that play in a nicer stadium, but the way they have quickly started their program they won’t be in Lockhart for long.

Another interesting part about Shnellenberger is his understanding of the importance to win over a fanbase, to raise awareness about the positives of his program and what it currently has to offer, and more importantly how to raise money. He never focuses on what they DON’T have.

Shnellenberger always has his teams making appearances all over the region trying to bring as much positive attention to his program as possible.

Here’s one of his more unique ideas that he came up with to sell FAU Football:

“THE DREAM GIRLS

FAU Football is seeking 40 young ladies to be FAU Football's first singing group. If you are a young lady at least 18 years of age, who can sing, and who loves to be in the center of the action, volunteering to be a Dream Girl will be a great opportunity for you. You will showcase yourself as part of a talented musical group and as a goodwill ambassador for FAU Football. The Dream Girls main focus is to represent the FAU Owls' Football Team. The Dream Girls will be featured at numerous functions throughout South Florida and at all FAU Owls' home games. In addition, the Dream Girls will have a significant presence within many of the local communities by appearing and performing at various local service clubs and city functions with the FAU Football players. At all times, the Dream Girls will attempt to win new fans for FAU Football with their singing talents and their charming personalities. Also, the group may assist with local golf tournaments, take part in Shopping Center Promotions, and help present FAU baby t-shirts to mothers of newborn babies in various maternity wards.

Here’s another of his programs:

FAU FOOTBALL AMBASSADOR OPPORTUNITY

FAU Football Coach, Howard Schnellenberger, is currently selecting a team of 11 Ambassadors in each of 40 South Florida Communities. FAU Football Ambassadors will be the Official Team Representatives in each Community. Ambassadors are individuals who embody the Owl Spirit and share our excitement about the future of FAU Football. They will play an important role in spreading the vision of Coach Schnellenberger and creating new fans for FAU Football in their respective Communities. All Ambassadors will be eligible to win a trip to a post-season Bowl game of their choice (including the Super Bowl) plus other prizes during the 2004 season. A reception for all Ambassadors to meet Coach Schnellenberger and watch Spring Practice will be held on Saturday, April 3rd.

They have not been world beaters just yet in their third full year as a 1-A program, but in '05 they started the season off against Kansas(30-19), Oklahoma State(23-3) and Minnesota(46-7). In their two games against Kansas and Oklahoma State they managed 553 yards and 22 points.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

But trust me on this one... you think WE have a hard time generating interest in the community? You think WE have a hard time with facilities??? FAU takes bastard stepchild to a new level in SoFla. It's a tough climb.

Well the bastard stepchild is now 3-0 against the guy who work at the most difficult job in the country. Where does that place NT on the family tree I wonder?

Unfortunately for DD his record against FAU will be one of, if not the biggest black eyes to follow him when he applies for his next job. He had 3 years of losses to a program that is only 5 years old, including a loss during our last bowl run season. Regardless of the baggage that comes with him, what does this say about his ability to motivate and coach against the opposition that actually have a leg up on facilities, recruiting region, budget etc?

Sad.

Rick

But trust me on this one... you think WE have a hard time generating interest in the community? You think WE have a hard time with facilities??? FAU takes bastard stepchild to a new level in SoFla. It's a tough climb.

I live in North Florida. At Disney World last weekend I saw somebody wearing FAU gear for the first time ever. I was so shocked I didn't have a chance to express some Sun Belt solidarity, since I was wearing a Mean Green shirt.

Here, aside from the big three (Florida, FSU and Miami) I see UCF, USF and Florida A&M gear all the time. I wish the Sun Belt would go after FAMU. They have a fan base much more loyal and large than their I-AA program would indicate.