FW*Telegram No one know what to expect

OldTimer

Nobody knows what to expectBy TROY PHILLIPS

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

DENTON - It's hard to size up a team that won 19 games the previous season, lost its top three scorers, but looks taller, stronger and quicker.

The North Texas women's team could be 19 victories good again, or better.

If no one plays defense or carries the scoring burden, 19 wins could be a pipe dream.

UNT (19-9, first in Sun Belt West division) returns one senior and no full-time starters from last season. Forward Amber Jackson (7.6 ppg) is the top returning scorer, but North Texas is blessed with good size and backcourt potential.

"I grew up a lot in one year, but I still feel like a sophomore who has a lot to learn," guard Sanetra Jackson said. "If you play here, you're going to play defense."

Sanetra Jackson came off the bench in all 28 games. Most of the returning experience is in the frontcourt, with Amber Jackson (14 starts), and posts Erica Howard (13) and Talicia Sanders (17).

UNT has been a guard-dominated program for most of coach Tina Slinker's 17 seasons. But with three 6-foot-2 players (Sanders, Amber Jackson, Mimi Goodman) and two more at 6-3 (Howard and transfer Lyza Koubiteb), it might present new looks.

"We probably graduated two of the best defenders I've ever coached," Slinker said, referring to Erika Bobo and Mian Williams. "They could stop about anybody. I think we can get that out of Sanetra Jackson or [senior] Didi Wali.

Slinker rarely, if ever, redshirts incoming freshmen. Though tempted to redshirt guard Brittney James, Slinker likely won't after James scored 10 points in 15 minutes in an exhibition game on Friday.

Against mostly Class 3A schools, James averaged 26 points and nine rebounds in her West Orange Stark career, including 25 points, 10 steals and eight boards as a senior.

"I wanted to redshirt Sanetra last year, but I really couldn't," Slinker said. "I'd love to be able to redshirt Brittney, but if she can help us now as much I think she can, she'll play."

IN THE KNOW

THREE QUESTIONS

1. Who will score? Posts Erica Howard and Talicia Sanders are good candidates, but the backcourt must mature quickly.

2. What will UNT do best? Not allow easy shots. UNT led the Sun Belt Conference in field-goal percentage defense (36.7).

3. Are there postseason possibilities? Not with blowout losses again to Arkansas State (28 and 16 points). The Indians also knocked UNT out of the Sun Belt tournament's first round.